1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Ironist

Ironist Distinguished Member

Any advice on how to protect myself when shipping internationally from US to Australia? I was going to ship with priority + insurance or express + insurance which I thought was safer. However, there was no signature confirmation option and I read some posts and googled signature confirmation and it seems like there's just no way to get it when you ship internationally even if you go with priority express.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Distinguished Member

I have shipped from the US to Australia many times using First Class and Priority with no problems.

3. jebarne

jebarne Distinguished Member

Anyone have any experience with the D7100? As I understand it, the AF engine is in the body and enables re-use of many older lenses.

4. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Distinguished Member

Holy crap that is $230 less than Amazon is selling it. That is fell off the back of the truck price, and if they have more than one you should pick up all you can afford. I would probably do a dozen and flip them on eBay for a quick $100 profit each.

5. jebarne

jebarne Distinguished Member

Some of it depends on the value of the item.

My first class international threshold is $30. If it gets lost, I would eat that amount. Any more, I want ensured and tracked.

6. Ironist

Ironist Distinguished Member

It's around $400. I just want to

Thanks for the input guys. It's a $400 item so I'd like to cover my ass as much as possible. By insured and tracked, is USPS express worth it or do you go with another carrier?

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

I have long advocated here for the use of photo light tents for eBay product photography. I don't think my photos are the best on here, by far, but they're definitely better than decent, and all I'm suing for light are these (http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-150-Watt-Incandescent-Clamp-Light-CE-300PDQ/100354511) with 5 K daylight bulbs. I think the light tents I've used for reflecting and diffusing light have given me much better color clarity. The problem with them is, the ones that are big enough to hold a dress form can't support their own weight:
    http://www.atlantis-france.com/247-235-large/cubelite-light-tent.jpg

I've had to prop them up with shower curtain tension rods.

I had to tear down my studio for the week because we've got a guest staying with us, so I've decided to take this opportunity to construct my own, more sturdy, light tent. The base will be ply wood, painted white and wrapped in a light nylon shower curtain (white). The frame will be 3/4" PVC piping. Total dimensions will 5'x4.5'x4' (would have gone 5'^3, but I couldn't get a base board that was 5'^3. I'm just starting the project. I hope to have it up and ready to go by the end of next weekend (realistically, I think I could have it finished in an afternoon, but with the guest coming today and entertaining them all week, it's not likely I'll get to work on it for any sustained period of time this week). The "walls" will be the same white, nylon shower curtain as the base will be wrapped in, which is pretty similar to the material my former light tent was made from. I'll try to take pictures as I go, and post here with the results if anyone is interested.

Total cost so far for the whole thing (not including lights, which I already have, but including a couple tools like a staple gun and pvc cutter) is about $250. My hope is that it will be as or more effective as the tent, that it will be sturdier, and that it will be easy to break down into component pieces if we have a guest come stay with us again, and I have to turn my studio back into a bedroom temporarily. If those three things happen, I'll be happy, and consider it money well spent. My main concern is that the wall material (shower curtains, won't be effective diffusers for the light, but we'll see who that goes. I suppose I could always by a roll of real backdrop/diffusion paper if they don't work.

Wish me luck!

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Distinguished Member

What can I so to protect myself here? Buyer sends me the following message. Also purchase was made may 25th.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221441385428?redirect=mobile

Dear 1luxoticthread,

The size of the shoes do not seem accurate,,,
    I have an EU/UK size 11., and these shoes are NO WAY Uk 12c.
    They possibly are 12c US... which should be about mys size, but arent...

So

I thus can not wear the shoes.
    Am now prompted to give feedback, but feel bad about this ...

- buyer

9. DanM

DanM Distinguished Member

You gave the measurements on the shoe, used the tagged size in the listing and headline - I think you're good. Besides, it's kinda late in the game for him to be complaining.

10. Snoogz

I'm not worried about a case, but rather feedback he's trying to threaten me with. What can I do to prevent feedback, is what I'm trying to figure out.

11. Snoogz

I thinking of writing back with something like:

I'm really sorry the shoes you purchased do not fit your foot. It sounds like you are an 11uk in sizing, which you brought to my attention. I am confused as to why you purchased shoes listed as UK 12. Especially since you are a UK11! The shoe size was in the listing multiple times throughout, even the measurements were given to help you make a sound decision. And on top of all that, I always urge buyers to send a message with any questions they may have prior to purchase. I would have thought you being a UK11 and contemplating a UK12 is something that warrants a question, but instead looks like you were very confident in purchasing shoes that are not your size. It has now been over 7 weeks since purchase, why now are we talking about the shoes not fitting, and you not purchasing the correct size? What are you looking for to solve your problem?

Will this hurt me more then help me?

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Distinguished Member

Anyone have any experience shipping artwork? I bought a decent Lithograph for a few bucks that sell for ~$200 + shipping. I don't know how to ship it though, has anyone used someone like PacMail or Fedex? Size in frame is ~32" x 31" weight is roughly 15 lbs.

Was planning to sell it quickly for $200 and free shipping but wouldn't want it to cost more than $50 to ship.

13. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Distinguished Member

Urgent:I'm currently selling something that isn't authentic (I didn't know until 5 seconds ago) that had a bid. Do I cancel, or close the auction altogether?

14. sparrow

sparrow Distinguished Member

Cancel auction if fake

15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Distinguished Member

Cancelled and sent a message. Thanks