Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Hope you don't end up with a douche bag like mine, the latest in the sad sad tale of the NWT BB tie.

Where we left off:

Quote: ----

Hi,

I was wondering if you had mailed the tie yet, the tracking number still shows nothing.

----

I know. I am so sorry. The tie went through the wash. It was in the Turk envelope I didn't realize it was in the bag of laundry I was washing. It seems to be ok, but has wrinkles now. I should have just sent it out when I had the chance, but it has been a very hectic trip of taking care of my ailing grandfather. Either I send it as is. Or I can get the wrinkles out tonight, I am flying back from Baton rogue today. I need to reprint the label now, as the machine destroyed it. I can send it out this morning with wrinkles, and you can have it dry cleaned

----

I know this has been a unpleasant experience for you. And I'm very sorry. This is what I'm going to do for you. I'm going to fix the tie, send it to you. And you tell me, if there is ANY problem, the item is free, but you are on your honor. I'm back from caretaking my 92 yr old grandfather, your quite kind for all the crap I put you through.

I just don't know what the hell to do, I want eBay to look at this, and cancel this guys account for being the worst seller in eBay history.

2. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

Yikes... All this over a couple of dollars off a tie.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

@briancpotter Mind adding me? antiekman on ebay. Kinda neat seeing some of my stuff already there.

edit: headsup, i'm searching "polo" under the suits category. Went through 30 items that weren't suits or SCs before finding one with another 40 more before the next suit. I think it's pulling anything with 'polo' in the title - saw a Brioni polo shirt in there somewhere.

edit2: this would be a great thing to try for a coding project. great idea!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

5. briancpotter

briancpotter Active Member

Thanks for the catch. The suits search currently searches the entire clothing category and not just the suiting sub-categories, due to some sellers being bad about putting stuff in the right spot. This occasionally makes the results wonky. I'll take a look when I get the chance.

Glad you like it.

6. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Question for GarageSale users about photos:

The way I have it set up, I have photos in the body of the listing as well as in eBay's photo section, so buyers are able to flip through them and zoom. My problem is that I would like to have the 12 photos eBay allows, but then add more in the body. Is that possible?

The only thing I can think of would be to host the photos somewhere else and then edit the html after the listing is active, but that seems backwards. Any ideas?

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

You can pay garagesale to host your photos for you. And they allow up to 20 photos in the body. The problem is, garagesale will only host those photos for (auctions) for up to 3 months, If I recall correctly. Now if you strictly do BIN/OBO "good till cancelled" listings only, than you can use garagesales photo hosting and they should stay up there with a fee of like 3-4$ monthly.

Sorry if that is a bit confusing, but I ran into this a few months back. I had auctions that stopped having photos hosted, and instead went with the option in GS of eBay photo hosting of 12 photos, and at a small size.

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I have a domain with hosting that I upload pics to then link in the body of listings, but I only use it when I want more than 12 pics (suits usually). No limits, multiple directories so I can keep them separated, quick access via filezilla. I pay $5 a month for it, and also use it as my personal cloud storage / file sharing. I'm on PC so no garagesale option for me.

9. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Yes...if you want to go to the trouble. I use Garage Sale and my photos are both in the EBay photo section and in the body of the listing....however if you go on EBay to revise your listing, as I am prone to do in order to add better photos, you can keep the photos in the body of the listing and replace the 12 in the EBay section without removing any in the body of the listing. I know because trying to remove undesirable photos from the body of the listing on EBay is a royal pain!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I am screwed. Was just cozying up to a night of 500 tie pictures, and on number 87, my (formerly) trusty Nikon D40 met its demise. Shutter stuck halfway and won't release - RIP old friend. Time to get some new machinery tomorrow morning I guess… Will keep you posted on the selection.

11. TheNeedMachine

Thank you for not asking for recommendations, as I didn't want to read the ensuing dozens of posts. Sorry about your camera, chief - I'm sure it served you well for several thousand pics.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Several hundred thousand. 2500+ each week for a few years. Bless her heart.

And no, not asking for recs. Pretty sure Im going to go with this -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d...02&st=categoryid$pcmcat180400050000&cp=1&lp=1

14. TheNeedMachine

15. SpooPoker

dassit.