1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. My Main Man

My Main Man Distinguished Member

Devil's advocate opinion: But certain brands (including Hickey Freeman) have looser, more classic cuts than other brands. A person who wears a 42S in Hickey Freeman might be specifically searching for Hickey Freeman 42S because they know they fit a little looser.

Edit: You'd obviously want to make a note on a listing if something varies drastically. I've seen plenty of vintage band t-shirts marked XL that are too small for me and I always wear mediums.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

2. Lirum

Lirum Senior Member

Absolutely makes sense, and one that I think this guy would agree with because he seems familiar with HF sizing. But how do I accommodate the 80% who are simply searching for a 42S?

3. My Main Man

I swear to god I'm not trying to be a dick, but 80% is a completely arbitrary number. If I find something that's far off based on tagged size and measurements, I just put "40R (fits 42)". You'll get people searching for both and then it's up to them to check measurements. Knock on wood, I've never had a return based on size issues.

4. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior Member

When I come across any size discrepancy, I not only mention the alternate size (40, fits like 42), but also mention why I think it fits like 42. Like MMM suggested, sometimes people just know their size from certain brands, and you selling it on the basis of measured size might be misleading (though, you clearly mention the tagged size).

So, I'd say something like 'This jacket is tagged size 40, but the chest measurement of 44'' squarely puts in in the size 42 category. Depending on how you like your clothes to fit this jacket can fit both 40 and 42, blah blah.' That way someone who likes to wear looser clothing will read this, dismiss your opinion of how jackets should fit, then buy it because he wants a relaxed chest. A blanket statement of 'X, fits like Y' may not be enough. Fits like Y how? Chest? Shoulders? Length? And, of course, put both sizes in the title so people can search for both.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

5. Lirum

Lirum Senior Member

No worries man, not reading like that at all. Do you put 40 (fits like 42) in the title? What do you put in item specifics? I include what guys are talking about in my descriptions.

6. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

The only answer to this is to put both measurements in the title. You can't trust buyers to look at all the pictures or read the listing. They are suffering from something I believe is called confirmation bias. They see 42S in the listing title, and all the pictures, and description look like 42S to them, because they are expecting them to say 42S. It's weird, but it's a proven psychological phenomenon.

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Distinguished Member

8. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Distinguished Member

#1 priority for you man is not get fucked by eBay, so you HAVE to list the tagged size. You can also cut it if you think it's bullshit but I wouldn't do that. People like Spoo and other here do not do that, but, you know... they're awesome sellers xD
    #2 is please your customers, so put both sizes in the title (you will attract two times more customers btw... Not a crazy strategy AT ALL).
    #3 as it was mentionned early, state in the listing your reasons, and maybe compare with other stuff. For example I would never buy a Samuelsohn 46 because their tailoring is more 'casual'. I need a 44 (because they add +4''). But jeez, with Gucci and all the other big faashion brands I would need a 48 :/ I also noticed in recent collections (I don't remember the maker) that a size 46 would have 46'' chest, a size 48 a 48'' and so on. Which is crazy lol!

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Distinguished Member

That is because the people who use tagged size as end all be all, do not accept returns. You are correct, if you use the bulletproof system of going by what is tagged, you will generate plenty of returns based on fit. But if you do not accept those returns, well then your golden. Except for the fact you will probably have a buyer who won't return for another purchase, because they are ticked off it does not fit, and no returns are granted.

Find the least troublesome approach for your business, and stick to it. There is not golden path paved out, each road has its peaks and valleys, just choose which one limits the valleys for you!

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Distinguished Member

So here was his first reply I ignored

Quote: Then the next day I get this

Quote: I just checked the tracking and still no scans, I guess it is possible it wasn't scanned in the process... I am thinking of replying,

Quote: Would never send that of course, it is just stupid to antagonize someone over $5.

11. My Main Man

Holy hell, that is a shitty seller. I'd respond with a screenshot of the auction listing all set up and say "hey man, just waiting to get that tie so I can take some photos and get this listing up."

12. DanM

DanM Distinguished Member

Potential headline "tagged 40R, measures 42S, fits 41R if you wear Brooks Madison, 42R in Brooks Fitzgerald, 51R depending on your experience with European suits..."

Now you must "promise" not to resell. Get tie. RESELL. Send him link to completed auction with the message "had my fingers crossed"

13. Lirum

Lirum Senior Member

lol, I'd have another job if I couldn't ethrift BB ties for under $9. shit, 10 of the BB ties I've bought in the last month have been new for under that.

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Distinguished Member

Ask him if you can use his pics in your auction.

What a dipshit. Why does it matter whether the buyer is going to resell it? The fact is that the whole world saw it the first time and nobody wanted it at a higher price.

15. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

Just got a message asking if I'd do free shipping on a $9.99 item that is too heavy to go first class. I did the math and I'd make a little over $2.50 after all the fees.