Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah main reason is that it's an outlet shoe so you would expect seller to disclose if there is a stain. And stain is pretty deep, eraser probably would not remove it and I'd have to shampoo most likely. Rest of shoe is perfect though so by alden standards pretty good

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

2. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

I recently bought this for $71 shipped but i live in the US - Refurbed without the arm for boom stand but that's ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331222150337?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As the might Cap'n suggested find a proxy.

3. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Flip brag! That didn't take long. BIN must have been too low!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Pic too small - can't see price or what it is - Zegna Quindici yes?

5. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Unspoilered for bigger pic.

6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Jeepers - great sale on that! Mine only went for $106, tho it had a slight pull on the narrow blade. Keeping an eye out for them - easy to spot now that I've seen a few.

7. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Holy crap man, nice one.

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

congrats. take it and run. You probably didn't think anyone would pay the BIN anyway.

I've quit 2nd guessing it. I probably get a BIN every 10 days and just say awesome!

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Of course. probably Sunday.

10. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

You're totally right. I'm completely happy with the price, especially when I consider that this more than covered my entire haul from that store that included 2 Zegna suits, 1 Canali and about 12 other items.

11. suited

suited Senior member

Quindici = $. Found several at a consignment with the tags still on them and sold them for $180 - $239. $189 is a great fetch for one without the tags.

12. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

I'm in the right here, correct? At this point I think listing on tagged or not tagged is really a choice between two not-great decisions.

How's my language? Should I have focused more on something, less on something else? Does it come of as cold? Tried to stay away from talking about arbitrary sizing, because that is perspective and we both know that. This guy isn't out to screw me, but I'm trying to avoid a negative (forget getting good DSRs) and use language in a way that can be backed up if I have to call ebay.

Quote:
    I'm sorry the jacket didn't work out. But I disagree that it was mis-advertised. Tagged size is often inconsistent with actual measurements, as garments are often altered from their original state. As stated in the auction description, the jacket is tagged as a 40R but measures much more like a 42S as evidenced by measurements provided in description.

I'd be happy to take a return and issue a refund when I receive the jacket, but I do charge a restocking fee and my return terms as stated in the auction do not cover return shipping.

I see a return has been initiated, so I will eschew details of the returns process. Please message me with any additional questions you may have.

Joanthan

Quote:

Quote:

You're right, my measurements do not change the fact that the jacket is tagged as a 40R. Which is why I always provide clear pictures of the size tag for the garment if available, and for this listing that sizing tag is picture 4 in the listing. Additionally, in the description, in bold text, is " Tagged "40R", but measures like a 42S ". The fact that the jacket was tagged a 40R was never hidden; on the contrary, it was highlighted through pictures and bold text.

Terms for return and refund were in the listing, including a restocking fee. The restocking fee is really to cover my time in listing and potential lost sale to a different buyer, but in this case it does seem high and shouldn't be more than $5. In the refund I will account for the difference.

I am not running a scam or operating with fraudulent practice. I am not and did not attempt to deceive you as a buyer. All information about the jacket was provided in the listing, including return conditions and terms. I am voiding none of that now and am willing to accept the returned jacket without issue.

If you have further concerns or questions, please let me know. Thank you!

edit: here's the listing

@thefastlife

Quick levels edit in Photoshop, hopefully this'll grab you some more views. Great jacket. Nice tie too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

13. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

There doesn't seem to be a big problem here because you use appropriate language and were very comprehensive indeed. But maybe in the future you should think about advertising the TAGGED size in the listing and maybe writing (42S) in the title too, if you want to attract people searching for 42. And then in your listing you just have to explain your decision?

14. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

idk dude, the issue is that the tagged size doesn't mean shit except to say, "But it was TAGGED X!" when talking to ebay reps. What actually matters are the provided measurements. I much prefer to sell to customers based on what will likely fit them rather than tagged, which can be a crapshoot especially since jackets/suits are priority #1 for tailoring and everything I sell is pre-owned. Right now, the way I see it is that titling based on measurements works for 80% of customers and is more difficult to defend to ebay, while titling based on tags works for 20% of customers and is bulletproof. I see myself getting 4 times the returns if I go with titling by tagged, or not accepting returns and pissing off customers. damnit, i dunno man.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member