1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. guccihomme

guccihomme Senior member

I am learning as much as I can before I give it a try. I was just wondering what the first year is like for the pros. Obviously it's how much effort is put in. When I see Spoo post 32k in sales, I wonder what the beginning was like.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ive been selling for more than a decade though, you have to recognize that. If you saw my early listings, which were right at the start of ebay, they were pitiful. But, everyone starts somewhere - as Ive said in multiple threads many times - be consistent, be accurate, and sell good stuff. If you put in work, the work puts in for you.

4 people like this.
  3. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

1 person likes this.
  4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

oh god the good old days

5. capegirr

capegirr Member

Hi everyone, I have several same sized lacoste polos as well as lacoste l!ve polos that I have outgrown. For maximum profit/and ease, should I opt for one large auction or individualized listings? The only problem is that a couple of these polos are staple colors that should have no problem finding a buyer such as white, navy, and black.

6. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Well, max profit and max ease are inherently at odds with one another. You will almost always be better off from a money-making perspective doing individual listings rather than bulk lots. Up to you whether the extra work is worth it.

1 person likes this.
  7. costanaconda

costanaconda Senior member

Would you call the title of this tie a "foulard" or perhaps a "small paisley foulard"?
    [​IMG]

8. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Doing work with Friends in the background is causing my work to take 10x longer cause of all the shaky pictures from laughter.

2 people like this.
  9. concealed

concealed Senior member

I call it a donation

2 people like this.
  10. SpooPoker

^ what he said but
    Usually Robert Talbott has on the skinny end of the tie a blurb about what kind of silk there is on the tie. Don't think this one would but a small paisley foulard would suffice.

11. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Says the man who can start a Bert Pulitzer bidding war. Hell, I sold a used Donald Trump tie for $22 +shipping. Crazier shit has happened.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. guccihomme

guccihomme Senior member

I can't believe some of what I'm reading on eBay, "rare brooks brothers sweater", "vintage GAP 80's preppy & hip hop v-neck", "Armani D&G Gabanna shirt". I understand seller errors like a SC listed as 43L and the picture shows a tag 43S. But Armani D&G as a listing? Is this the competition on eBay?

13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

It's called keyword spamming. They're trying to get more hits by coming up in more searches.

Edit: Did you honestly, for a minute, feel a sense of superiority over a general percentage of ebay sellers because of these titles? Haven't you been at this for like a month or so?.... You're not quite there yet.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    2 people like this.
  14. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

wow...money orders and cashiers checks, dah fuck is paypal? ... got ripped off on a $1200 Michael Jordan Jersey Auto Card, I pulled that shit from a pack, sent it before the check cleared, absolutely no recourse to be had but a neg.

15. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

ah the wild west of ebay, miss those days

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

No. That's not the competition.

Well, for most of the people on this thread anyway.

You're not quite in a position to throw stones quite yet though.

This.

17. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

^^^ I'm working on the selling good stuff part now... The stuff that only sells for $16 on eBay will net you about $4 in profit sometimes..

Really loose summary of my first 5 months:

Profit after all fees, materials, printers, and clothing costs: Approx $150 a month (I'm RICH!)

I’ve kept about 7 nice items for myself including jeans, a sport coat, a blazer, a jacket, 2 shirts and so on.

I’ve purchased these items for the business: HP Laser Printer and toner for about 5 years (estate sale), Thermal label printer, packing envelopes, mannequin, and cleaning supplies plus a few other things I’m probably missing. I have about 150 or so items as back stock from 2014 completely paid for as well from the profits from items sold. These items are better quality things as I’ve actually learned a little over the months.

Time spent in the stores per week: 4-6 hours (much of that was over lunches)
    Time spent listing: Not sure, I list when I have time, so I don’t list consistently yet.

I’ve not screwed up too much with my eBay listings, I’ve been able to make the TRS list for the past 2 months and my feedback is generally okay so far.

Right now I consider this a great hobby. I’m working towards a good 2nd income, and then after that possibly my primary income. I’m taking it slow so I don’t make many mistakes. I know I can’t consider eBay my only source of sales either so I’m trying to figure out other places to reliably sell.

Also, figure out how you are going to track things for tax purposes before you get started.

HTH!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. classicthrifter

Thanks Both! I did pick up a mannequin and cleaning supplies right at the end of the year.

So basically it is income minus expenses for this type of business unless I make over a million and then I must use the accrual if needed).

For 2015 I'm going to be much more exacting in my recordkeeping for sure.

Cheers!

19. classicthrifter

Quick Question.

I had 101 for both shipping time and shipping and handling time until today.

I think I've understood this wrong. Do buyers have the option of not leaving feedback in some categories and this is why I have a 94, 97, and 100?

I thought the lower numbers meant I had been dinged. When I hover over the image though I get 5/5 from each category except the item as described which is a 4.9/5

[​IMG]

What do the number of ratings actually mean? Just the number of people who have filled out the rating in each category?

Thanks again!

20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yes.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.