Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I will never understand sellers who think they can get 80+% of retail for currently available items. I'd rather pay full price and have the option of returning, reliability of the retailer, and factory warranty if applicable. Though I guess it's better to start too high than too low.

For some reason Kent Wang stuff tends to be priced like this.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Maybe he just wants you to cross the border, ship it, and get back to Toronto.. ahah

5. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Wanted to share a frustration so no one makes the same mistake I do.

On 5/27 I sold a scarf, this was delivered and documented through ebay's tracking on 5/29. Oddly, I received the scarf back, in the same poly bag turned inside out with a new shipping label on 6/5 without a note or a message from the buyer. I do not allow returns, but was not going to piss a buyer off over $10. So, I messaged him/her and said I received the scarf back, assume you are requesting a return and a refund. After sending that message I immediately I went into paypal, and initiated a refund for the full amount including the initial shipping. Today I check my seller dashboard and it shows as a defect because "I canceled a transaction." I called ebay this evening and the woman said because I did not go through the ebay process of opening a case and canceling the transaction, but simply initiated a refund, they assume I was at fault for "being out of stock" or canceling a purchase without the buyer's consent. I asked if I can open a case now, and if the seller agrees to cancel the transaction if then I can have this defect removed. She reviewed the message I had sent the buyer, and also my paypal refund. She said I should open a case now, and it's possible in the future this defect could be removed, but she doubted it would be since the defect was warranted. She also said they do not even have the software capabilities to remove a defect if she wanted to.

Pretty darn frustrated here, I tried to immediately refund the buyer to avoid a case or negative feedback being opened, and because of it, I received a defect. The item was never out of stock, and the buyer returned it without ever contacting me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Crap....I did the same thing today.....and last week too.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

7. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

8. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Question: Sold a shirt to a guy in the UK. After he paid, he asked me to send it as a gift so he didn't have to pay taxes. I sent him a note, explaining that I can't do that and then asked him if he'd prefer me to refund and cancel the transaction or to just ship normally. I just sent him a second message and haven't heard back yet. I just looked up a duty calculator and it looks like he isn't going to get charged any extra fees from what I can tell. Should I just ship as normal if I don't hear from him? I know I'm in a safe spot in the event he leaves me a negative feedback since he asked me to to send it as a gift.

9. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

At first I was going to say ship immediately as you legally should. However, I assume you're worried about a return and thus eating the cost of international shipping. After being burned last week trying to do the right thing, I'd recommend calling ebay and asking them how they recommend you proceed.

10. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Thanks. The guy actually just got back to me and said he completely understands and to ship normally. It's always good to get messages like when you're expecting the worst.

11. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

a few days behind, but ^this.

If I were convinced this was a tactic and not a mistake, my response to that seller would be:

"you're certainly entitled to cancel the transaction, but I believe I won the item fairly at terms you established. Until, I receive a cancellation notice, I am expecting to receive the item as agreed. If you do cancel, you should be fully aware that you would be reneging on your own terms and I will open a case and provide all necessary feedback to ebay. Up to you."

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

What would you guys do in this situation - bought some new without box alden boots and they came with this
    [​IMG]

Quick brushing did not remove it and seller did not disclose. I knew shoe was from J. Crew outlet so some wear expected but is this something you would ask for something back / return? Price was relatively cheap so I would like to keep

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Suede eraser.

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000w-Photo...035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540014cce3

I have a total of 4 lights now. I have these 2 on the backdrop. Two similar (16"x24" 4-bulbs) on the fronts of the item, and an overhead. I've been happy with the service of these folks and to get 2 lights, with stands, 5 bulbs included at $90 is a pretty good deal to me. My fronts are narrow and only hold 4 bulbs each. I think you need an overhead and they have boom kits.

Someone else had recommended these guys and I've been very happy with the service.

"We gotta pay for healthcare you know"

Not us. We're spending our grand children's money.

15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Can I get a picture of your setup? Contemplating the purchase now. I keep getting overexposed lights