Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Just noticed something that could be fucking sellers over a bit. I went to leave feedback for an item I purchased. I selected 5 star for everything and then entered my feedback. I hit the tab button and it tabbed to select a 1-star rating for 'How accurate was the item description?' I almost submitted it but noticed it at the last second. I wonder if this has caused any problems in the past. I recreated the situation and took screen grabs.

Here is a screengrab with my cursor in the feedback field. Notice that all details about this purchase are at 5 stars.
    [​IMG]

Here's where I accidentally clicked tab.
    [​IMG]

And here is a shot of what I was about to submit, but caught it just in time. It turned the accuracy section into 'Very inaccurate'.
    [​IMG]

That's kind of bullshit, right? I'm going to send this to eBay in a bit.

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

What else is bullshit is getting a defect for canceling a transaction that the buyer requested...this just happened to me, and I am now paying for their mistake. I suppose eBay is pushing me to rather ignore the mistake from the buyer, allow the transaction to go into a case resolution for non payment, and have a non paying record ding on that buyer....so contradictory from eBay to have sellers make buyers happy, yet when canceling a transaction is in place, only us buyers will get a defect...that ruined my day, and its only 9am.

4. AFCForever

AFCForever Active Member

That is correct- they ship it to a local place and then remail it to you from there.

The Global shipping program however is the biggest scam for Ebay ever - the charges are usually massively higher than you would pay if it was sent by the USPS. I suspect you are losing a lot of sales to it as it jacks up the prices for us so high, especially for people in countries that have a trade agreement with the US (like Canada).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

5. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Hey guys-
    Just got my first negative feedback today but it's sketchy. Sold a Thom Grey shirt which sold to somewhere using the GSP a month ago. Just received feedback today that was negative that said "bottom side tricolor label were the sign of counterfeit. I have several authenti" which I assume means the side stripe at the bottom. I assume they thought it should be red white and blue like Thom Browne mainline. There was no contact, reporting of the item or anything, just this feedback weeks later. Any suggestions for course of action?

Update:
    I messaged the user asking what he thought was wrong and he said

"Hi
    The side tricolor stripe must be wider. I have three other Thom Grey shirts that I bought from Barney's offline and they all have wider tri label."

6. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

In follow up to my orignal post, the answers given by the members are appreciated. The package was shipped using First Class Mail International for less than $25. Only problem is no tracking number. Priority Mail International would provide tracking. In any event the shipping costs were much lower than Ebay Global Shipping, but there is some time consumed in completing the sale.

Perhaps the listing could advise that international priority mail can be used for combined purchases over a specified amount to avoid the additional work on a small purchase sold outside the country.

7. Brianpore

Hi, I would give ebay a quick ring... from what I have been told by multiple different people at ebay is that a defect is only recorded when you cancel a transaction for 2 seller related mistakes OR "other". If you cancel the transaction for "buyer returning the item" then that does not ding you. ALSO, you need to have at least one message from the buyer in the ebay messages. The few people who explained it to me had a good grasp on what they were talking about, its pretty complicated it seems, but give them a call. You should not get a defect if you choose to correct reason for canceling the transaction upon the buyers request.

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

What's the cheapest service for sending heavy (20-30lb+) boxes? Fedex?

9. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Depends on the box shape, the USPS flat rates are all up to 70 lbs.

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Probably flat rate priority, but I haven't actually checked.

11. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

When Spoo and others say that they only ship Express International, do they mean Priority Express Intl, or is there some other Express Intl I'm not thinking of?

12. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Sorry - larger box. Like 2.5'x2.5'x1.5'. Lots of suits, sportcoats, a few pairs of shoes.

13. Brianpore

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I just had 24 boxes shipped cross-country of varying sizes & weights; UPS ended up being cheapest at $1100, after an AAA discount. UPS is also a bit cheaper if you ship to a standard business address. I'd plug the deets into the FedEx, UPS and USPS estimators and see...

15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Can anyone tell me what pattern this is

[​IMG]