Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

On ebay, he just started a normal return, not a case. This is just a $20 tie, I had a return one time that the buyer did the same thing, started a return via ebay, never shipped, opened a case with paypal and got a full refund, that was for a $200 pr of shoes. I stupidly ignored the Pay Pal claim on that one because I figured the eBay one would take care of itself. I know peeps like this are one in a thousand (certainly not one in a million), but I hate this part of the job.

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Jeez, tx these are the nightmares we all wouldn't wish on our worst enemy.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Does anyone know a good source for poly bags in smaller quantities, or would anyone be willing to sell me ~25 bags?

5. Brianpore

6. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

What works best for shirts and trousers? Anything heavier I can just use the free priority tyvek bags

7. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

The 12 x 15 should cover pants.

8. Brianpore

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

10. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

11. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Relevant to a recent conversation in this thread, I received a package back on Friday with yellow tape over the various bar codes and a hand written note on the yellow tape that said "Priority boxes require priority postage." I had wrapped the Small Flat Rate box in a gray poly mailer. What's most interesting is looking at the tracking it had actually been out for delivery in Georgia (I'm in NY). The postal worker (or someone) had torn a small hole which showed the red stripe on the box inside. I'm not sure if a postal worker took it on him/herself to investigate, my buyer may be a postal worker, or what, but it's a good thing I recently purchased 100 small boxes to ship ties.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  12. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me why Ermenegildo Zegna shirts sell for $400 in stores and $25.00 on eBay? It just seems to me that they would be worth a little more at resale. What gives?

13. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

2 reasons :
    - competition - we are too many selling this stuff
    - most of the things on eBay go for 10-20% of retail. That's the whole point

14. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

If there's too much supply, I guess we need to increase demand. ;) I've just started watching menswear on eBay, but my wife has been selling Coach purses for a few years, and sales are pretty slow right now. Has menswear taken a similar decline, or are these prices typical?

15. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Well well well. So I've been f******* for the first time on eBay! Buyer opened a case against me and I really felt I could win it (especially since the buyer insulted me several times but it seems it has nothing to do with the eBay ruling?!).

Ebay just ruled in his favor this morning. Nice to see that while waking up ahah. So I have a negative feedback since the beginning, and it will hurt me (especially as it's written), as it was the buyer's goal :s

Basically I sold a linen-silk jacket and the center back seam was loose. It was pictured, I didn't try to hide it, but I didn't feel it was enough of a problem to describe it with words in my listing. As per the popular saying, it seems a picture is NOT worth a thousand words! Pictures and words are need right?! Good lesson learned.

So anyway, there is no detail on my listings for returns, except that buyers have 14 days to get a refund, and buyer pays return shipping. Do I have to refund the original shipping cost and can I charge a restocking fee, even if it's not precisely stated in my listing?

With that guy's attitude and especially his numerous insults, I'm 100% sure he will never remove his feedback so I don't want to sound like a bitch to you guys but I don't want to make it easy for him...