Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

You made a deal and now you want to renegotiate it. That is not compromise and that is not scrupulous behavior on your part.

2. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Hey fellas,

Auction is done and now prepping to ship! I was planning to ship priority mail with insurance & signature confirmation. If I add "signature confirmation", does that include tracking as well?

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Priority mail applies automatic tracking. But yes, at $320, Insurance and Signature Confirmation is a must!

Happy Cyber Monday Guys...Happy Selling!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

4. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I very often have buyers ask me to ship via a different service to save money. Should I risk negative feedback just to remain rigid on my auction terms? What about buyers who are unwilling to pay shipping in return to me or pay my 10% restocking fee? I will surely get negative feedback if they don't like these terms they've agreed to as stated in my auction description.

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

eBay will remove bad feedback and cases opened over not wanting to pay the restocking fee. If you bought the item with the $16 shipping I think you should pay it. If you wanted lower shipping the time to negotiate was before winning the auction.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

7. Steve Smith

+2

8. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+3

9. Steve Smith

Am I the only one getting a rash of echeck payments on auctions? One last week (which bounced and will be resubmitted) and two this week.

10. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

+4

I think everyone has said almost everything that can be said, but I want to add one more thing. When you leave feedback, there are four categories where you can give the seller "stars." One of those is "shipping and handling charges." I would suggest, if you know he can ship the item for less then rate him accordingly there. He certainly doesn't deserve negative feedback.

The bottom line is the price it sold was the minimum he was going to let it go for. If he listed "actual" shipping costs, his item would have just been listed higher than $.99 you won it for. He made a judgement call to gain more initial viewers, hoping that once they saw it, the shipping price wouldn't bug them.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

12. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I accidentally listed an item as 100% cashmere that was only 10% cashmere. The final auction price was quite high.

I felt bad about the mistake and told the winning bidder I'd give him a huge discount, which he was cool with. But now it's looking to me like I can't give a discount greater than the shipping cost. Is there a way around this, besides making him pay full price and then sending a refund?

13. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

Ok guys I've got a problem on my hands. Apparently when creating an auction I made a typo in my Paypal address, so payment was sent to that incorrect address. Is it against ebay policy to just send them a paypal invoice after asking them to cancel payment? Or do I have to relist the item as a Buy it Now for the buyer to get the same protections through ebay? Help would be much appreciated

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Call eBay

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I love echecks. no chargebacks.