Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

In my experience as a Canadian buyer, UPS/Fedex/Purolator go absolutely bonkers making up bullshit magical 'brokerage fees' and duties when they bring something into Canada from another country. Conversely, I've only ever had to pay duty on a package arriving via Canada Post once, regardless of declared value. It seems like the government can't be bothered to follow up on every single package and collect their fee for it, even if they would be owed duty according to the stated value.
    When doing any sort of e-commerce I usually reach out to the seller and see if they are willing to ship via USPS/Royal Mail/whatever the government institution is if their default is a courier service, and let them know I'm OK waiting a longer delivery time.

UPS state their customs clearance rates here, if your invoice comes with a breakdown of what cost what, hopefully you can figure out what happened.

2. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Yah I was following that earlier, says my price range including shipping 80ish,should only be 20

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

/thread :slayer: :worship: #100%spoomethod

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

4. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

& @Lirum

I'll be another dissenting voice here. In my opinion it's misleading to not have the tagged size in the title. It almost feels like a bait and switch. I'd rather have the tagged size in the title and actual measurements in the description since that is non-negotiable in terms of you may measure slightly different than I, but we both read 33 as 33. I believe a similar conversation occurred a few pages ago about suit sizes. Do you include the tagged measurement in the title or the size based on measurement. I believe Spoo's position is always include the tagged size in the title. Personally, I avoid buying quite a few odd sizes because you will obviously sell a 34 a hell of a lot faster than a 33. In this case it's obvious the gentleman was pulled in by the 34 in the title (or the 34 in the item specifics), bought based on the 34, and then felt misled that it is tagged a 33. If this one buyer felt "bait and switched" how many others are/will be? I know it's easy to say "he should have read the description." But at the end of the day, it's your reputation and future sales that are potentially tarnished so address what is in your circle of influence.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

5. DanM

DanM Senior member

Hmmm. I list the actual measurements in the title, then in the description section of my listing I have a spot for tagged size, and then I state the actual measured size and encourage my viewers to look at the detailed measurements included.

6. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

those few lines are my new Holy Bible, i hope it will serve me well on one case right now :eek:

7. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Yeah i agree with you on 'including the tagged size' on the listing. For odd sizes with jacket for example, it happened to me once and it was a 43 BB. I put it on the title BUT i also wrote (42 44) for it to show on search results. Because people will search for their sizes.

The problem with what you say is the 'vanity sizing'. Every brand have different sizing and WITHIN the same brand you will not wear the same sizes (I wear 36 or 38 diesels for example, some 36 robert graham jeans are BIG for me but last time I tried another RG 36 I felt fat as a fucking whale). So it's the buyer's responsibility to read the measurements and just measure its own pants. Is that complicated? Also, is asking questions to the seller complicated? I don't think so...

8. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Saving this for reference later. Thank you Brian.

9. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

On a totally unrelated subject to the recent topics in this thread. I've been doing a lot of e-thrifting lately mostly in the areas of ties to flip. I've been SHOCKED with the fact that no one seems to ship ties in boxes. Pretty much all are in rolled Tyvek bags or worse. I believe Wes always ships in boxes (thanks for the Uline link previously), I'm guessing Spoo does due to his shipping cost, but what about the lesser "power sellers" here. Do you have a specific cut point of above = box, below = rolled tyvek?

As I'm focusing on my tie game I purchased 100 small boxes over the weekend along with small self sealing clear bags for inside. Works out to about 32 cents per package per tie. Obviously this weighs a bit more so you're probably looking at 5 oz v. 4 oz or even 3 oz shipping wise. I was previously putting a small flat rate box in a tyvek bag and classily shipping it first class, but the time investment neatly wrapping the box finally got to me.

10. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Lord have mercy.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

priority mail flat rate envelopes. Over 6,000 ties sold and knock on wood….

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I ship all ties in a small flat rate box. I offer priority and first class. If they chose first class, I put the small flat rate box in a tyvek bag and put the label on that.

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I need a cold pop.

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Small flat-rate box, priority...inside of which the tie is packed into a small plastic self-seal mailer. I charge $5.50 to ship if auction or free if it's a BIN item. The last tie I bought on ebay was hard folded, put into a ziploc bag, then into a flat kraft envelope...and it was stained. Yay.

15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Yeesh - this is sort of what I do

Half folded- than folded 3 times all folds between tissue paper- wrapped in bubble wrap - into a kraft envelope- Nothing bad so far