Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Yeah i know but he seemed worried he could lose and all... It seemed pretty obvious to me his buyer made a mistake. But yeah i M not eBay :)

2. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

First class or priority would cost you around 13$ max and its pretty fast... Canada is not the us Hat but the us are canada's bosom :p

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Just a hint for some of the new sellers, I was checking out a couple gorgeous RT BoC ties. The condition was stated as "Tie is in Excellent preowned condition. Item does not have permanent stain or tear. "

I would never buy, because I would be worried that there was an actual stain as opposed to just a general condition note.

4. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

WOW. I purchased a pair of shoes, for 55, 25 shipping. It is attempted for delivery, and they want 41.33 dollars payable to ups. Is this normal? Wtf

5. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

For what? Shipping? Customs?

6. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Says brokerage cod, 41.33 seems a bit extreme

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

That's customs stuff, not shipping. How did the guy send the shoes? Say what you want about the GSP program, but you don't have these problems with it.

8. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Jesus, last time I had shoes shipped it was something like 17 dollars. I'm just not gonna buy on eBay anymore

9. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

How the fuck does customs cost 75% of the items value? God damn.

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Yeah, it definitely seems excessive. It might have something to do with the declared value of the item. Guy might have declared them for higher than he sold them. In which case, he owes you.

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

It's likely high due to brokerage fees. For me, FedEx and UPS are brutal with theirs. The Post has a fee, but it's not terrible.

12. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

In my experience as a Canadian buyer, UPS/Fedex/Purolator go absolutely bonkers making up bullshit magical 'brokerage fees' and duties when they bring something into Canada from another country. Conversely, I've only ever had to pay duty on a package arriving via Canada Post once, regardless of declared value. It seems like the government can't be bothered to follow up on every single package and collect their fee for it, even if they would be owed duty according to the stated value.
    When doing any sort of e-commerce I usually reach out to the seller and see if they are willing to ship via USPS/Royal Mail/whatever the government institution is if their default is a courier service, and let them know I'm OK waiting a longer delivery time.

UPS state their customs clearance rates here, if your invoice comes with a breakdown of what cost what, hopefully you can figure out what happened.

13. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Yah I was following that earlier, says my price range including shipping 80ish,should only be 20

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

/thread :slayer: :worship: #100%spoomethod

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  15. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

& @Lirum

I'll be another dissenting voice here. In my opinion it's misleading to not have the tagged size in the title. It almost feels like a bait and switch. I'd rather have the tagged size in the title and actual measurements in the description since that is non-negotiable in terms of you may measure slightly different than I, but we both read 33 as 33. I believe a similar conversation occurred a few pages ago about suit sizes. Do you include the tagged measurement in the title or the size based on measurement. I believe Spoo's position is always include the tagged size in the title. Personally, I avoid buying quite a few odd sizes because you will obviously sell a 34 a hell of a lot faster than a 33. In this case it's obvious the gentleman was pulled in by the 34 in the title (or the 34 in the item specifics), bought based on the 34, and then felt misled that it is tagged a 33. If this one buyer felt "bait and switched" how many others are/will be? I know it's easy to say "he should have read the description." But at the end of the day, it's your reputation and future sales that are potentially tarnished so address what is in your circle of influence.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014