Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

. . . . . .

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

That seems to be feedback extortion. Keep it polite, do what you have to do, and if he leaves bad feedback then show that exchange to ebay and ask to have the feedback removed.

OTOH, from the buyer's point of view it certainly appears that you are keeping him from winning this because the bids are low. Why not have your brother bid on it? You will end up paying 10% for your own item but you did make an error.

3. ruben

ruben Senior member

re: free stuff

I'v gotten ties thrown in on a couple ebay purchases, but both times they were pretty awful things that'd I'd never even consider wearing (like a really 90s stafford and an ugly, stained rooster).

4. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Yeah, I can see how he might think that, but that's certainly not how I operate. I would ask my brother to bid, but he doesn't have an eBay account and has 3 kids + a VERY pregnant wife right now, so I don't think it'd be worth it. Since it was my mistake, I guess I'll just have to take any problems that come.

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

I include a free tie when someone buys something for over $100. I've gotten thanked once or twice,but I do get positive feedback more often with that and less returns.

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

I tried free shipping and got maybe a little more traffic, but returns are a much bigger hassle. I noticed Spoo doesn't do free shipping, so I decided not to do it anymore.

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

problem solved

8. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

. . . .

9. Towers

Towers Senior member

I think faceofboh has it right. US Sellers have it easy due to the size of your domestic market, you can afford to say $35 to Canada (spoo's shipping charge for shirts) take it or leave it, writing off those buyers or making sure they're very motivated. But if I list an item as $35 shipped to the US I can kiss any traffic goodbye unless its REALLY nice.

10. suited

suited Senior member

Yeah, in hindsight this would have been better.

Free shirt (you pay shipping) to the first person to list a tie with this format:

*WHOOP WHOOP* Pull Over Dat *Brioni Silk Navy Blue Tie* Too Fat!

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

PM Sent

Side note... you're listing is really hard to read....just friendly advice.

You are bidding on a great coat. It may be pre-owned, but it still has lots of life in it. Please look closely at the description and pictures to determine if this is the right item for you. . . . . . . . BRAND: Mavest . . . . . . . COLOR/PATTERN: Brown tweed with herrinbone pattern . . . . . . . DETAILS/NOTES: Harris Tweed 100% wool fabric, single center vent, 3 roll 2 button closure . . . . . . . MEASUREMENTS: (made while the garment is laying flat) . . . . . . . (These measurements should only be used as a guideline. They are approximate (within +/- .5 in.). In order to ensure a proper fitting garment, please measure a similar garment that fits you well.) . . . . . . . Armpit to Armpit - 22 in. . . . . . . . Jacket Waist - 21.5 in. . . . . . . . Sleeves (shoulder seam to end of cuff) - 25.75 in. (0 in. to let out) . . . . . . . Shoulders (seam to seam across the back) - 18 in. . . . . . . . Length (from bottom of collar to bottom of coat) - 30.5 in.

VS

You are bidding on a great coat. It may be pre-owned, but it still has lots of life in it.

Please look closely at the description and pictures to determine if this is the right item for you.

BRAND: Mavest
    COLOR/PATTERN: Brown tweed with herrinbone pattern
    DETAILS/NOTES: Harris Tweed 100% wool fabric, single center vent, 3 roll 2 button closure
    APPROX MEASUREMENTS:
    These measurements should only be used as a guideline. They are approximate (within +/- .5 in.). In order to ensure a proper fitting garment, please measure a similar garment that fits you well.
    Armpit to Armpit - 22 in
    Jacket Waist - 21.5 in
    Sleeves (shoulder seam to end of cuff) - 25.75 in. (0 in. to let out)
    Shoulders (seam to seam across the back) - 18 in
    Length (from bottom of collar to bottom of coat) - 30.5 in.

12. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thanks - That's what I thought they were. Sitting with a very similar pair that I've been trying to get rid of for a few weeks as well. Might toss them up on a 10 day auction this week...

[​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130785549300

14. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Let me just say that I've rarely had a problem on eBay, either in buying or selling, but this one is starting to grate on me.

I bought an item for a very low price, knowing that he'd relisted the item many times, very slowly lowering the into price. I paid $.99 for the item. I think his main hangup is describing the item as having some "pit stains" and because he offered shipping at $16. I figure that he's trying to make money on shipping in order to recoup some investment costs.

I knew all of this going into the transaction and have suggested that he ship it via USPS priority in a flat rate envelope ($5.50/max) to which he's said that he doesn't have those envelopes (BS) or that he offered a flat rate and there's no other option.

As a consumer, and also as a seller, I figure that compromise is an inherent part of a transaction. How can I make this unscrupulous fuck ship the item according to a very reasonable and current rate, rather than let him make money on me? Basically, it's unreasonable to pay a seller an inflated shipping rate for something they know they aren't going to make a decent amount of money on.

Edit: This seller is in the US, so USPS domestic makes the most sense. He's been vague about what shipping rate he's gong to use as his standard.

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What seems to be your issue? He has a listed shipping cost and you knew this before bidding, right?