Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I have an auction running for a pair of shoes, no BIN. Someone messaged me and offered $3 under minimum if I invoiced him. Is this possible/illegal? I don't want to get in trouble with eBay on a sale where I make $20 profit.

2. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I would say no. Yeah, you might make a few extra bucks, but if you've spent time and effort building up a seller rep for yourself, you're putting all that that at risk if eBay catches you and shuts your account down.

3. Testo

Testo Active Member

If you mean he wants to send him a invoice outside of ebay to avoid ebay fees, then technically it is, although i dont think ebay has any possible way of finding out unless you or him tells them.

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

It is possible, it is not illegal but it is against eBay policy.

5. Testo

Testo Active Member

Oh if you mean combing through thrift shops to look for super expensive stuff in good condition....then that might work, but for regular brands i dont see that working. Also i cant imagine it being that profitable unless you have a decent number of thrift stores near you and get lucky. It takes a lot of time to make the trip and sift through what they have.

The local thrift store near me for example had an amazing peacoat i wanted to snatch up, but they wouldnt sell it to me as they were closing. I came back at 10 am after class the next day and it was already gone. But aside from that i have never seen them have anything decent, everything else was generic shirts, pants, jackets, etc that were in not too great condition. If i need to i might be able to pick up a cheap suit or blazer though.

6. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

As you can see thrifting is a passion and takes some dedication and work. Yes I mean looking for the stuff that was originally super expensive. The key is learning what to look for and as you have discovered ...where to find it.

7. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

8. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Nice presentation, yeah, but if it had rained your stuff would be wet.

9. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I think I got a good deal. I always wonder... I know it's an older label, but it'll do well, I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181437823056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Then I saw these, PRL shearling toggle made in England?? Uhh... ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161327779903?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Then this one, I saw the stain on the collar, but I'm betting a stain stick will take care of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161335952930?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Then I asked for combined shipping to save even more $, because I'm a cheap bastard.

So now my dilemma is, sell the Isaia and the RG to fund the PRL? I'm at least going to wear that PRL once this coming winter.

First impressions are important, that's top notch packaging, makes you feel good about your purchase, more so if you got a smoking deal on it and it came like that and not crumpled into a ball.

I don't always tyvec my stuff, haven't had anyone complain that something arrived damaged from water.

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

That coat is AMAZING!!!!!

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ive had that PRL on my watch list for about 2 months. Glad it went to a good home!

12. txwoodworker

Had it been coming down in price? That <$60 Isaia suit is what drew me to the seller. Looks like a newb going pro, guessing female based on the selection.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Oh yeah. I started watching it at $325…dropped $25 each week or so.

14. txwoodworker

It's like a game of chicken, will it go down another $25...?
    I was a buyer yesterday, spent a ton of money on items not necessarily for flip, but didn't pay more than I can get for them if I decide to sell.
    The one in-one out policy in my wardrobe is going to be tested when the Isaia suits and sport coats I bought arrive next week. I negotiated with a seller who was selling her husband's stuff to include the hangers and garment bags for everything I bought.

15. Testo

Testo Active Member

Hmm i just remembered that i got a 60% wool peacoat for $50 off ebay. Was listed as brand new never worn, but turned out to be pretty dirty with left over receipts in the pockets when i got it. Seller was happy to do a partial refund though, so i just got it dry cleaned. I guess it could have been sold from a thrift store...not that i mind because i still got a good deal.