Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

For you maybe.

I got them stretch armstrong arms.

2. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

like cap said there is no message although one did show up an hour ago. Hopefully it's a new one. I was browsing for item to buy on my phone and the coupon was there. Ymmv

3. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Interesting, thanks gents. I just enrolled in "ebay bucks." Any reason NOT to be enrolled in this?

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Nope. Free money.

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

If the shirt is new, they usually account for shrinkage so a 16 might come out of the bag at 16.3/4. I've had some well-laundered shirts be a half-inch shy of the tagged measurement.

There was a thread at AAAC where Chris Despos (I think) mentioned the fit of the shirt, in relationship to body measurement, but not size itself. His point was that a very slim shirt is chest measurement plus 4". Then girth is added from there based on the desired fit.

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

We sometimes complain about how things are shipped. I got ties today I ordered from chas_la. not sure if he's a forum member. Nice Job though on the packing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Testo

Testo Active Member

Has anyone had success selling old clothes and shoes on ebay?

It seems to me that there are a couple of problems with that :

-Shipping internationally will be really expensive, especially for shoes (easily runs $30-40)

- Most people are not going to wear the same size as you do

-They are unlikely to have the same taste as you do

-Most people hate the idea of wearing second hand clothes and shoes

Unless you are selling something in new or near new condition from a famous brand at drop dead prices, it doesnt seem like it would get much interest or even sell. Ive read about how people managed to make quite a bit of money selling their "old things" on ebay but i have no idea how they get people to buy their clothes, etc.

Its not like someone is going to want my shirts even if i put them up for $10 and they retail for $50 when shipping internationally costs $10 at least.

I tried putting up a denim jacket my uncle bought for me, brand new, never worn, from Levis IIRC, not sure what the RRP was but nobody wanted to touch it for even $50 and most jackets from the same brand were going for $100+ brand new. Was also a M or L size so most people could wear it. I had it up for like a month and then i just gave up and stopped bothering about it. I was getting on average less than one view per day and i had plenty of keywords in the listing title including the brand name with pictures.

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Just a quick check: @SpooPoker, @Brianpore, @capnwes, et al

^ Have you guys had any success selling used clothes? I don't think anyone would really want them, but I heard that some people have tried?

:D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  9. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

To start out with success you have to be realistic. No, nobody wants your clothes...except that minute percentage of people who shop on Ebay. If you realize that only the best designer brands will sell and then for perhaps at only 10 per cent of original retail, than you have a good business perspective. The real secret to success is on the acquisition of inventory for which you should check out the THrifters Brag Thread. BUT let me warn you....you will become addicted to thrifting and there will be no return to the life you once had known. Say goodbye to extra closet space and a harmonious relationship with your significant other because you will be in the thrift shop combing through racks of St Johns Bay, Dockers, and Levis until you find something you heard of before and you think for a moment and when it comes to you where you heard the brand before you will bow down to the Thrifters of this forum in gratuitous thankyous for you have arrived. But for these forum members you would not have know what you hold in your very hands before you is "a thing" and can be sold on Ebay.
    Choose your path carefully because once you find that item you will be at the point of no return...you will be one of them...the Thrifters. You wont care where the clothes came from, where they have been, or perhaps if anyone cares but you. You dont care that you never seem to shop where your friends do or that they think you are weird. You are a Thrifter for life.

10. DanM

DanM Senior member

Selling clothes on ebay? News to me.

11. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Have not heard of this phenomenon? They find the clothes in a Goodwill and list them as being in very good pre worn condition. Is this the same thing as "someones old clothes"?

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I have an auction running for a pair of shoes, no BIN. Someone messaged me and offered $3 under minimum if I invoiced him. Is this possible/illegal? I don't want to get in trouble with eBay on a sale where I make $20 profit.

13. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I would say no. Yeah, you might make a few extra bucks, but if you've spent time and effort building up a seller rep for yourself, you're putting all that that at risk if eBay catches you and shuts your account down.

14. Testo

Testo Active Member

If you mean he wants to send him a invoice outside of ebay to avoid ebay fees, then technically it is, although i dont think ebay has any possible way of finding out unless you or him tells them.

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

It is possible, it is not illegal but it is against eBay policy.