Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

If i had 9 Hermes then i would likely go to these guys for help - http://tiecrafters.com/

I sold my stained Hermes for $10 because i did not want to deal with it however in your case you can take the worst out of the bunch and try all the options. Which ever works best can then be tested on the other 9.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

2. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

I'm not sure how severe your stains are, but I've had amazing success just dabbing water onto the stain and letting it dry. Has worked 100% of the time. YMMV though! Gl!

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Just a word of warning..

Had a buyer buy two pairs of shoes in a combined transaction. He requested a return of one for fit issues almost immediately upon receipt. No problem. A couple days later he opened a case for the second pair, claiming they were not as described. Stated that the rear seam was separated. We were still in communication over this pair and had been exchanging photos.

Meanwhile he shipped both pairs of shoes back, one with authorization, the other without. The damaged pair appeared to have been put on a shoe stretcher and the leather was totally blown out in the back. I sent photos of the new damage and requested that he escalate the case, as I was hesitant to issue a refund for them.

Since I had received the first, non-fitting pair, I went to paypal and issued the refund minus the 10% restocking fee. When I returned to ebay, there was a new message in my box. "Thanks for issuing the buyer a refund, the case is now closed"

I called eBay and there is nothing they can do, apparently you have to separate the transactions somehow to issue a refund on one and not the other. I'm not entirely sure how I could have done that. I proceeded to paypal though the link on the proper listing, but since it was a multiple item order, it assumed I was issuing the refund for the case item. There is no appeal available, since it looks like we came to an agreement before the case was escalated. Now I'm still on the hook to refund the money for the original return.

eBay rep said they would have sided with me since the shoes were returned without approval, let alone the damage to the leather. They let me report the buyer, but couldn't do anything else for me.

GRRR, Mondays

4. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

I'm not sure why it's showing Belgian, but I list on US.

5. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

6. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Hi guys, what would you call this weave? I'm stumped. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Sorry to hear about that, Wes. If I understand correctly, under the new system, all these cases count as defects, right? If highly professional sellers like you get randomly dinged by asshole customers, how the hell does ebay expect sellers to maintain a perfect selling history?

7. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Just had pants returned with no communication from the buyer...guess its better than an open case on Ebay.

8. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

DUDE! Quickest BIN ever for me. Thanks!!

[​IMG]

9. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I recently bought a lot of 4 ties and today they arrived bunched up in a priority mail tyvek bag. WTF, if someone is going to go to the extent of shipping priority for a package under 13 ounces why not put the damn things in a box or at worst a flat rate cardboard or padded envelope? But no, a non-shaped tyvek bag.... Christ. /rant off.

10. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Dang that's nice

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Ebay member to block...

pointshyofgenius

Was the buyer from the return/case double transaction from above. During the whole mess where ebay closed the case thinking I had refunded the money for the pair of shoes in the SNAD case, the buyer saw I refunded the money, and decided to open a SNAD case for the other pair as well. The reason being, I refunded the money for the other pair, but had not sent the refund for the ones that hadn't fit him. It had only been 3 hours since the mail came. What is the timeframe for refund here dude? WTF!

12. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Sorry to hear about your run-in with this moron Wes. Thanks for sharing his name so we can add him to the blacklist.

13. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I checked him out and he's a seller as well. I think the deepest pits of hell are reserved for people who know how much it hurts to get negative feedback, and still ding sellers for no reason.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No negative yet, but I'm sure it's coming. I impressed myself with holding my tongue today. I had a real stinger typed out too, but deleted it at the least second. I was able to report him for misuse of returns for both cases, so maybe that will help. Also, it was one combined transaction, so it SHOULD only count as one defect against me....unless they, by some miracle, remove it altogether.

15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Hope all goes well for you.

In other news! SHELL! - I want to sell a pair of C&J Shells, but I honestly know nothing about shoe repairing etc. Its a bit dinged up. Should I just put a lightly damp cloth around the whole thing and snap some pics. OR should I learn how to repair / clean up shoes for a better ROI