Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

2. suited

suited Senior member

The worst part would be waiting to make sure he doesn't try to return it :happy:

God only knows what the person is planning on doing with that thing to the tune of over a grand. You should seriously message the person 6 months from now, when a return is impossible, and straight up ask them what they used it for.

Same here, but they were incorrectly paired with a Luciano Barbera pinstripe suit jacket and I didn't notice they were the wrong pants until I got them home (it was a pretty good haul so I was moving fast). The suit was so cheap that I knew I could make money from just selling the orphan jacket, so I picked it up and then realized the pants didn't match when I got home.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  3. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Even if the person returned it he would have plenty of great second chance offers. But yeah, I want to know the backstory for that. Figure spoo does too for that book.

4. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

excellent, thanks as usual.

also - there still isn't a program/app for windows to make templates huh? surprising. mine is so awful/basic.

5. SchoolyardBully

I made mine from scratch through basic html, just have to copy and paste a bunch of things.
    I got my layout idea from this one guy whose famous on here (spoo)

http://www.befr.ebay.be/usr/sartorialsociety?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

6. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

7. SchoolyardBully

the brooks brothers tie? haha

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I just had a return opened against me for a pair of boots that are "apparently" women's (hiking boots). The seller's message basically said "These are obviously women's. How long have you been working in retail? I don't think the seller should be so proud of being a "customer service master". Why should I have to pay for return shipping."

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO MANNERS?

I responded and basically said, "I have had well over 1,000 transactions in the past year with very few issues. If I made a mistake, I will own up to it. I'm human, not infallible. Customer service isn't about being perfect 100% of the time, it's about doing the right thing 100% of the time."

The best part is that the dude has a feedback score of 7 (member since 2003). He's only left feedback for one seller. That feedback read "Defective product by prompt return".

9. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

I was afraid to look at the spoilered image! But I just got a vintage Chester Barrie suit with HORRIBLE crotch stains. (They were actually on the pocket bag, not on the crotch lining, so I missed them on original inspection.) Anyway, I tried the SF-approved deep cleaning for shirts method, only with cold water -- and it was AMAZING. They came out sparkling. If you have the time, I recommend it, rather than selling gross pants at a loss.

Pics below show the horrific water that I dumped after soaking, and the finished product.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. suited

suited Senior member

^ nice!

Don't think it's worth the effort for the pinstripe pants, but I do have a full Bijan suit with soiled pants. It's everywhere, though. I'd have to completely submerge the seat of the pants in water. I'm not convinced it would remove 100% of this stain. It's an all or nothing deal. Unless the stain disappears completely, I still have to list it as soiled.

11. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

What are your normal policies with converting UK/Euro sizing? For instance I have a pair of Cheaney's that are 10E UK, this technically converts to 11D US. Do you guys make this conversion? I have had people tell me that I should set them to wide but E is normal width in the UK (actually F is normal width and E is narrow except for a few manufacturers). 'G' is wide in UK, I just don't want someone to complain or open a case.

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Yes and no. I list the sizes that the shoe/clothing lists, but my ebay makes me put a German/EU size in order to list. It's a pain, because I have to explicitly state that a conversion chart was used and that it is actually a UK XX or US YY. I had to take a return once from a rather unpleasant guy that decided his conversion was more accurate than the chart I used. I had included measurements of the insole as well, but that didn't matter to him. I also field questions often asking for EU sizing when non exists on clothing.

Bottom line: A certain percentage of people won't read/care about measurements and conversions and order things anyway. You'll have to take a return for this reason sooner or later, it's just one of the costs of doing business, unfortunately.

14. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

I did the same thing with an aquascutum blazer with stains. Hand washed it in tub with oxyclean, flushed the dirt out and let it air dry on a plastic hanger. The stains are gone and i dont think the jacket lost it's shape. Practiced on a few ties with resolve and talcum power but the results are kind of mixed.

15. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I probably have about 9 hermes ties with stains I'm withholding from listing till I can get them unstained. But alcohol is too harsh, and I haven't been able to find anything to get those stains out yet on the delicate silk.