Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Really? Huh. My bad. The Cliente and Ordine are backwards for a Canali tag (and are correct for Cornaliani)...and Canali has a 3rd box item on the 2nd line as I recall. I shall offer the seller my apologies...once I'm convinced I'm wrong, that is. [​IMG]

2. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Actually on 3rd and 4th look and comparison I'mma side with you on this, looks more like Corn then Can

3. TheNeedMachine

Such language.

But anyway - no tracking is no tracking...if you called the local USPS office, they couldn't tell you anything. So yes, a buyer could claim not received, though the vast majority of people buying on eBay are honest and forthright - they just want to receive what they bought. As in, if you buy a book on Amazon - you just want to get the book, and are not out to screw Amazon over by pretending you didn't receive it.

Wes mentioned it several dozen pages back, but, you can opt to save on postage/insurance/tracking if you're willing to self-insure and accept that eventually a package may be lost and/or you'll run into someone who claims such...I definitely wouldn't skimp when it comes to high-dollar items (paid fricking $45 to ship a pair of shoes today, within the US - insured, signature confirmation, etc - but on a $450 sale I had to).

4. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Totally Corn.

Should we bombard him with messages of " That is made by corneliani, not canali"

5. TheNeedMachine

HAH! I was just trying to do the guy a proper while I was browsing - quick note like "hey - fix that and it might sell" ... but whatever - good luck to him/her.

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

ShopGW's shipping sucks ass generally for ties. Won 4 auctions from the same place, did combined shipping, and they just added up all the individual shipping charges AND HANDLING CHARGES ( which I notice are getting larger and larger) final bill was $36 to ship 10 ties from Florida to TX. Best bet is to win local auctions there (although some stores still charge the redic. handling fee) if you're lucky enough to live near the location.

7. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Yeah I always just assume I'm going to be paying 20 extra dollars on anything I win.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Damn! I am getting returns for fit at about 5X my usual rate. On items which I am providing measurements.

9. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

two quick questions.

found a NWT hermes tie. has a few dark "smudge" stains. best way i can describe it. better to leave alone and mention in listing or try (either myself or professionally) to remove?

also, how would you describe these patterns? spoo?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

^ I have experimented with removing stains on ties and decided that it is not worth the trouble. YMMV.

11. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Lol sorry I learned my English watching Californication ahahah

Yep I will totally have tracking/insurance for really expensive items (if EVER I find such items lol) but I guess I'll stay the cheap way for other stuffs. I guess you're right to say most of eBay buyers are honest

I think shipping the cheapest way is still more expensive that your tracked USPS parcel lol...

12. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Canadian fun fact 1 : it is more expensive for me to ship in Canada (as everything is tracked) than to ship in the US untracked... -_-

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

I used to ship international first class all the time, never had issues except with Canadian buyers claiming not received but I couldn't prove anything so had to refund. Ended up just accepting cases so I could get fvf back. Still have a little aversion with Canadian buyers now when they have minimal feedback / want gift low value

How heavy were shoes? And if you ship fedex ground it's usually cheaper or same price for shoes just takes a few days longer. Insurance costs similar and shipping prices potentially cheaper. Definitely would be less than $45 though regardless of weight

14. Poleng

Poleng Member

Where do I find this?

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Hilarious.