Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

iirc, you're also no longer on the hook if the package is marked delivered. Nice of you and could possibly foster repeat customer if you help out, but I don't believe you are obligated.

2. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

This. As a buyer I had a package marked as delivered, but tracking showed it delivered to a town 7 hours away. I contacted seller (and Post Office) and seller basically replied "It says delivered, so my job is done."

I know he was right because of this thread. But I also know that good sellers wouldn't just brush me off after having spent almost $400 with them. HD he been a frequent seller, I would have been less inclined to do business with him again, because he was only willng to do the minimum work required.

3. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I'd really like to step up my e-thrifting game because I just can't get out to stores with my normal work schedule and a baby at home. However, I end up sitting at my PC 2-3 hours per night! I've started saving some searches in ebay, but are there any 3rd party sites or software that people use for searching and research?

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

The WOPR would disagree.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

5. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

IMO everything can be e-thrifted but obviously ties are the easiest I guess.

The other cool option for you guys is shopgoodwill. Lots of items that go under the radar, and from what I remember, s&h costs are pretty good to flip the items.

Damn, it sucks to be Canadian to play this game :((((((((((((

6. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

On a similar problem for me : in order to compete with US shipping costs, I always deliver my items to the US with the lowest possible Canada Post shipping option (Small Air Packets). But this option doesn't include insurance coverage or even tracking.

I'm beginning to think it's a dumbfuck move as I fear that any ill-intentionned motherfucker out there could simply : receive my item, claim to eBay he didn't receive it, fuck me hard...

Thoughts? If this case happened, would it be easy to just call the local USPS office and ask them about my parcel (with the info I have on PayPal)?

Thanks guys :)

7. Poleng

Poleng Member

Hi,

I've got quite a few items for sell on eBay (Stefano ricci ties/belts. Bijan Ties/belts. A. Testoni Croc Belts.)

I have been asked plenty times already about the authenticity of these items.

All these items were given to me from a former employer as he was simply moving back to India for good. He gave me a choice of either having whatever I wanted or just give it all to charity.

I took a few items and gave the rest to charity (I did not know who or what Stefano Ricci was or even Bijan. Yes a lot of this clothing went to a charity.

anyway going off track.

I know all these items are real but can not prove it.

do I need to authenticate these items first before selling on eBay? If so, how?!

Can I just post on eBay and say I have no proof of authenticity and leave it as that? (or does anyone have a better way of putting it?)

Thanks

8. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

i would say something aling the lines of "I received these items from the original owner..." Maybe state his status or positiin in your company to prive he could afford the good stuff. But technically, if you don't have receipts...

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

This may have been posted but I've just read it today as I continue to try to figure out ebay best-match algorithms.

I went searching as I have a tie, New with tags, fast and free, hassle-free returns, 1 day shipping, TR+ and wasn't even showing up in the best match. anywhere. my items per page were set to 48. When I switched to 192 per page my item was there, number 93 of 382. It was still 93 of 382 when I changed to 96 per page. At 24 and 48, I'm not on the list of 382 items.

So this may be an error of some sort, yet it sent me off to better understand search rankings. This report shows what one seller did.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abu/y214/m01/abu0350/s02

10. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I would add Brianpore's ebay-approved & tested authenticity disclaimer to the listing.

11. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

OK. This has triggered me to test @SpooPoker 's savant skill of writing the perfect sales title for any given listing. Not that the Marv Albert reference hurts this listing, but with his other behaviour that was widely reported, it does make me wonder this might have been.

edit: relief! couldn't tell from this pic that @TheNeedMachine had PS'd you.

12. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

I'm curious to hear what others say, but I ALWAYS ship with tracking. I've only had one issue with a buyer saying he didn't get the item, but my tracking said it was delivered. We discussed it politely, elevated it to eBay, and I never heard about it again - which is worth it!

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Heh, OK, who is right?

I sent the seller a message on this suit.

Me to seller: Hi - that PRL suit is made by Corneliani, not Canali.

Seller to me: Older ones were made by Corneliani. Now made by Canali as with this one.

At this point in my thrift game I'd like to think I can spot a Corneliani label...and I'm 99% positive Canali makes for no one but themselves.

But I'll tuck my tail between my legs if I'm totally wrong on this one...

14. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

That's definitely Canali's label. The loosey goosey brand on PTO also lists: Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Label (currently made by Canali, older by Corneliani

Canali makes for a few different people if I remember correct. One of the heavily licensed brands - Lanvin I think that I know off the top of my head.