Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

The new ebay browsing page layout - do not like as a whole, but the pictures seem larger...might be my imagination tho.

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

Got a pair of chinos in whole foods brown paper bag today that was ripped in areas :censored:

Luckily no stains but considering seller charged me extra $5 you would think he could afford to get a box somewhere

And won a pair of shoes, no shipping after a few days how long do you guys normally wait before messaging?

3. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

If I think the seller might be slow or that there may be issues, I send a message regardless soon after auction ends just to let them know I'm there and an attentive type of buyer. Usually say something like, "Please let me know when you ship and the tracking number for the package."

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

4. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

someone bought an item that was listed as BIN price but user has 11 feedback dated from 2012, but has not paid.

what are the odds that i may never see that payment go through? seems like someone use a throwaway account to get rid of a competition. Any thoughts ?

5. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

What are your payment terms? Usually I set mine to require 7 days after auction close, than the day before that I send an invoice with a note saying thanks for your purchase, you are obligated to pay by tomorrow and if you do not eBay will open a unpaid item case... It has worked 50% of the time to get a slow payer to pay.

For BIN I had the same issue and this forum told me about a requirement you can set to require immediate payment. This time you have to wait until your payment terms run out and than open a case than wait 5 days than close the case before you relist. I had this happen to me twice, both with very large items that I had to buy specialty boxes for and had all packed and ready and didn't get paid. So I highly recommend you require immediate payment for all BIN from now on.

6. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Well, regarding the stained suit I bought on the 'bay: Seller says that lining is indeed bad, but he can't see the exterior stain (hard to get on picture). He also says he stated no-returns in the description, although I can't find that.

He then says he doesn't have money to refund, even though I offered to pay for return shipping.

This should be an open-and-shut shut case for me, right?

7. concealed

concealed Senior member

should be, but I would try to get pictures to prove it.

8. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Just had a case opened, stating that my item was never received by them. I checked the tracking information, and it stated it was delivered. What do I do about this guy's? Is this a win for me, will I need to refund, will eBay take their side on this?

9. concealed

concealed Senior member

I think you will win the case. May want to tell the guy to confirm with his local PO.

10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

If it says Delivered you'll win. You won't have to pay anything, eBay will either rule against them, or pay the price of the item for you to the buyer.

11. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Very cool, thanks fellas.

12. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

mine is required to pay after 7 days before a case is automatically open.

will it be possible to set the BIN immediate pay requirement on existing listing? or can I only do that with new listings?

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yes, you can change the setting. If you go to your selling page, select all, then edit, the change payment options to require immediate payment.

14. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Not sure about existing listings, but you can only do the immediate pay requirement if you have upgraded to a paypal business account.

15. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/require-immediate-payment.html

Requirements to list with the immediate payment option

To use the immediate payment option in your listing, you must meet the following requirements:

• Have an eBay seller account in good standing.
    • Have a PayPal Premier or PayPal Business account when you list your item. Find out more about upgrading your PayPal account.
    • Specify a Buy It Now price of no more than $10,000.
    • Specify shipping costs or offer free shipping when you list your item.
    • Include all other related costs, such as taxes, so your buyer knows exactly how much to pay.

I have Premier and have this set.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014