Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Yup. There's no way you can recreate the crisp hand of a new garment after you've washed it.

2. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

okay okay I get it... I thought NWOT applied to items that are new even if I wash them.

I wash and iron all my stuff before sending them - so nothing is NWOT anymore -__-

3. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

I like 'Flawless' thanks :) I'm a new seller and I also really lack some basic English vocabulary :s

4. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Thread saved you some chargeback on future

5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Just got negged for sending someone the wrong item. Hoping an offer of him keeping item + sending right item + half refund will be enough to sway him to revise the feedback.

Definitely wish people would start contacting me first, though.

6. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Had the same thing happen two weeks ago but the guy emailed. I think he knew I was in his debt though and pushed a little. I figure he was banking on me not caring cause a neg is legit.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

7. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I just sold a suit for $700 (T Ford). What kind of insurance, delivery signature, carrier recommendation, etc to make sure this guy doesn't claim he didn't get the item, got an empty box, damaged, lost in mail, etc. Thanks.

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

#1: Don't assume your buyer is out to fu*k you over from the get-go.
    #2: Insure full value, signature required. USPS, UPS or FedEx - your choice.
    #3: Send the Tom Ford suit and allay any fears from the buyer that you, the seller, was going to fu*k him over.

9. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

A little help on this weave or fabric pattern? Thanks guys.

[​IMG]

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Thanks!

I bought this suit new a year ago. I paid around $1500 (new). Should I insure it for that or $700.

Want to cover all the bases.

11. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Insure for the buyer's purchase price. I think it's fraud to do otherwise, and speaking as an international buyer, declared value factors into duty as well. It's rough paying the duty on a $700 item, and I'd be pretty choked if I was expected to pay more than twice that on an inflated value declaration.

12. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Get a hand-held for pre-purchase inspections. And a CSI hat.

13. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Bought a light gray suit on Ebay, and it arrived with piss-yellow stains all over the crotch on inside, and a good 2" x 2" sized yellow stain on the outside. Other than that the buttonhole on front was pretty beat up.

None of this was mentioned in the auction, what would you do? The auction states that the suit was recently cleaned, so I'm thinking that the stain probably won't come off. It's very visible, and I can only assume the worst on where it came from.

Kinda sucks since the suit almost fits perfectly, no alterations needed.

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

This was my most embarrassing experience as a seller.

I switched 2 packages. both zegna ties. one guy gets his and lets me know. But he likes the tie he got better than the one he bought. He was very reluctant to return it.

2nd guy, I contacted, offered his pick of 12 zegna, brioni and kiton ties for free, plus keeping the one he already had received, plus 100% refund.

Never responded to any request, so first guy happy with tie he didn't buy and was very happy, 2nd guy gets 100% refund, plus keeps wrong tie, still to this day has never responded. He never left feedback either.

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

A while back, I think Wes and Spoo had both recommended ebay's ship/cover insurance because it was faster to get paid if there was a problem.

You already have to send this signature required. If it was mine, I would send it USPS EXPRESS, sig confirmation, ship/cover and I'd eat the shipping differential.

If you want to photo the box being packed and weighed with identifiers on the box, I guess you could, but I don't think its needed.