Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I've been contemplating the high cost of shipping heavy footwear (and clothing like robes or jackets) lately as well. I've come to two possible solutions that I can live with: 1.) Use the Cost Varies by Location feature and identify within my shipping narrative I am using this function because the item is heavy and the cost is so discrepant east coast v. west coast since I am shipping from NY, or 2.) Go with a standard shipping price with the self-understanding that I am making money off my east coast ships, and lose a few bucks with the west coast sales. I tend to ignore the sales where I make $3 on shipping shoes, but man I get my panties all up in a bunch when I lose $3.

Last, but not least, on shoes that are not super expensive, and will not suffer from a bit of box cramming, I've received shoes jammed into a medium flat rate which is right around $11 for those with no additional shipping discounts.

Last edited: May 29, 2014

2. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

When I checked my progress into becoming a top seller / or whatever. Its tracking my cases opened (it says x/8)

Can you inform me on how cases work.

3. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

I was told by Ebay after being negative repped by a buyer who lost his complaint case with me on Paypal that they wil allow the buyers neg rep. and will only remove it in a clear cut case in which actual delivery of the item was the issue.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

IMO you need to do a flat rate shipping for shoes... or just offer free shipping and factor it into the sale price if you are doing BIN. This goes back to the point I tried to make about not listing stuff because you dont have extra fee items. If you are worried about the last $0.10 to lit an item or the last $3 on a $80 sale then you are thinking about this wrong.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think you can treat them first to a bunch of the color out before re-dyeing.

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

New system will not allow low ratings for shipping costs, since it's clearly stated. Or at least low ratings for shipping costs won't count against you, can't remember which.

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I've won much easier closer cases and gotten less egregious feedback removed, which is part of why I held my ground in the first place. Ebay is completely all over the map on this crap.

8. Brianpore

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1, and isn't that a bitch sometimes...our time is money no doubt, but that never gets factored into my starting bids lol.

10. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

+1.

Also, I charge a flat rate for all items. Say, $10 for a jacket, using a RRA box (thank you, this thread for that idea!!). So if the shipping comes out to be much less, I refund the difference. And if it comes out to be around it, or maybe $0.50 more, then I make sure that the shipping price is printed on the label. That way they know my charges are reasonable.

In my experience, even when I've refunded just $1 back for excess shipping I've ALWAYS gotten glowing feedback ('honest seller' etc.), so you can even use it as a strategy to get good feedback!

11. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

What do you guys make of an Ebay buyer who retracts numerous bids? I bid a high price on an item, at least it was a high initial bid, and this particular buyer bid up the price to the top of my automatic bid price. When he had bid one dollar over me…he retracts his bid, making me the high bidder, but also blowing up the bid price on me.
    My thoughts is that this is someone helping the seller. I checked the buyers record and he has 60 retracted bids in the last year!

12. Brianpore

you can guess all you want. if you want to complain, call ebay. nothing else you can do about it unless you dont trust the seller then just retracct your bids and dont buy from him.

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

This. I called back and, magic. (It also didn't hurt that I didn't have a screaming 1 year old and testy clients IMing me to send my cortisol through the roof) I was a little afraid my account would be "flagged", but they apparently don't track that call to call.

14. Brianpore

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This would be awesome. It really bugs me that someone can leave a low score for shipping cost for items they agreed to the purchase price of INCLUDING shipping before bidding/buying. If I mark up shipping at all, it's only to cover the cost of packaging materials, which I think is fair and works out to maybe 50 cents on items that need more bubble wrap.

I think that there SHOULD be an option to give a low rating for clearly excessive shipping charges, but that should be something you are able to report without buying the item first. If I see a pair of shoes with a $60 domestic shipping charge, I'm not going to buy them. But I can't report the item, so some other dude is potentially going to buy them without noticing the shipping charge. Is that really the way it should be?

I've been digging through the seller update, and it seems that you are correct that ratings for shipping charges are either going away or are not to be considered.