Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Self-tipped for one, definitely. Helical, infinity, sine wave come to my mind.

2. DanM

DanM Senior member

DIZZYING
    MESMERIZING
    ILLUSORY (only suggested because it reminds me of one of those optical illusions from grade school - try crossing your eyes and staring at it for a while)

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

4. DanM

DanM Senior member

Trippy?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

we may have a winner. I feel like "mind-altering" needs to fit in there now.

7. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Hey, how many letters to you get in a subtitle......I'm thinking of putting all of your suggestions in there. well, except epileptic.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Might want to include it in the description/disclaimer. You don't want someone suing you for pain, suffering and an ambulance ride after the seize from opening the package.

*before anyone takes offense to my statements, please know that I grew up with a sister that was epileptic, and while it may seem insensitive, I know that they are a real and scary part of some people's lives. I just cope differently than most people.

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Yeah, I'd hate for a driver to pass by this tie and lose control of the car or something.

10. suited

suited Senior member

Looks like a slinky to me.

11. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Shipping a tie to Australia, what box do you recommend for International Priority shipping? In the US I ship ties like Wes taught (see my signature for that post) in a 6x3x3.

The options are

6x3x3
    Small Flat Rate
    Bubble Flat Rate Mailer
    Poly Envelope

12. concealed

concealed Senior member

priority shipping makes you use the multipage, stick-on, book label right? In that case I would use a bubble flat rate inside of a poly mailer.

13. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I don't think Australia requires the multi-form stick-on plastic customs forms. Just the international postage.

On those I go small flat rate box. They end up costing the same as a padded envelope. If I get a specific request, and the tie is under $30, I will do 1st class to most first world countries.

Last night, I had a guy buy a tie for $40 and then ask for international express shipping to Mexico because everything else gets stolen. So $39 for a tie, and $34 for shipping. For a BB Makers penguin tie.

14. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

For bb makers?????
    Crazy

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Here's the situation. I sold this Kiton shirt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231203832301?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Note the pictures of the tags, and the detailed measurements in the description.

Buyer gets it and says it doesn't fit and he wants a refund. I say: Sure, no problem. If the measurements were off, I apologize, and will process a 100% refund plus return shipping. If not, my refund policy will apply.

A series of messages ensue in which I repeat my willingness to refund in full if buyer can demonstrate that something was wrong in my listing, and he simply states that I misrepresented without offering any substance.

Buyer opens case. Buyer escalates case. I call ebay and try to explain, focusing in the fact that the tags were clearly photographed and the actual measurements provided, just in case they differed. I also pointed out that the buyer has, so far, refused to actually measure the shirt. Ebay reasons that they don't have the shirt, and can't know whether I'm lying, so they're prepared to force a return. Moreover, since I have a return policy, they're going to override my restock fee and force a 100% return. Baffled and extremely annoyed, I ask why they can't at least make the buyer prove the shirt measurements were off before sticking me with the bill for the original shipping. Finally, finally, after 2 escalations, they agree that they (ebay) will pay me for the original shipping if the buyer doesn't upload photos showing an error within 3 days.

Then comes the coup de grace. Buyer leaves feedback saying: "Misrepresented the size of the shirt refused to refund will not buy again". So I call ebay again, since it's not at all true that I refused a refund, and ebay policy is that misleading or inaccurate feedback be removed. Not so, says ebay, focusing ONLY on the "misrepresented size" language. At least a dozen times I clarify that I'm not challenging that language (though I personally believe it's inaccurate). IT's the "refused refund" part that's problematic, since it's flatly false. They refuse to remove it with no satisfactory explanation --the best they came up with was "well, you haven't provided a refund yet." NO SHIT! Because I don't have the damn shirt. But what I DO have is the emails where I DID offer a refund.

The sooner Ali Baba or whatever replaces ebay, the better.