Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

My favorite message from a buyer was "nowhere in your listing is this described as an irregular item". My response, "It's in the first paragraph of the description". This highlights why I prefer not to sell cosmetic blems, but if they're cheap enough...

2. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

felt like posting a positive story involving paypal in contrast to the usual crap they get from people:

this is a long story, which was really lame, but I'll condense it for y'all's sake.

-A woman buys a jacket from me, I ship it to the uk.
    -On the way she decided that because it has finished sleeves, it can't possible be NWOT.
    -She let's it sit in customs for two weeks and its returned to me.
    -I tell her per ebay rules she needs to pay me again to reship it, and give her a quote.
    -She insists that I send it to a different address in new york because she doesn't want to pay import duties.
    -I won't ship to an alternate address without completing a new payment, which she refuses to do, and the window for refund closes (60 days) while she still is "negotiating" with me (read: misinformed bantering)
    -after 60 days and four phone calls to paypal to make sure I am following their rules exactly, I tell her that I physically can't refund her, and won't ship to an unauthorized address. This is where it -devolves into threats of legal action, then her husband emails me saying he works for some who-hah big investment firm and "has his legal team looking into this" ect...

-She opens a case at 75 days past, paypal rules in my favor because I have tracking and her stating that she refused pickup because of import charges.

-now over 90 days later, her bank files a reversal of funds. Paypal notified me and I called in citing the previous ruling in my favor.

-two days later they said I won't be liable for the fees, and i'm covered by seller protection so she got her $570 back and paypal took the hit. and I've still got the jacket.

I have to say, despite all the bad rep paypal gets, its pretty rad that they stood by their rules and covered my ass when I followed them. all in all though, it was a shit experience. but it's nice to know paypal can come through.

Last edited: May 28, 2014

3. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Yorker: what a nightmare! Glad everything worked out. Haven't had any paypal dispute yet but from reading this thread I've already braced myself for the inevitable rulings against me.

Last edited: May 28, 2014

4. DanM

DanM Senior member

"New, never worn - did wipe my ass with it once though"

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

"New, never worn - did wipe my dogs ass with it once though"
    FTFY [​IMG]

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I "used it" on my dog while saying "Red rocket. Red rocket"...

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Jeez, what a drag that sounds like. But that's partly why PayPal takes a percentage of your sales, so they can offer protections to both buyers and sellers. Good to hear it worked out.

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Ok. Some description advice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JHANE BARNES 100% Woven Silk Neck Tie Undulating Interwoven Curves Purple Italy
    JHANE BARNES 100% Woven Silk Neck Tie Undulating Curves Self-tipped Purple Italy
    JHANE BARNES 100% Woven Silk Neck Tie Zig Zag Effect Curved Stripes Purple Italy
    JHANE BARNES 100% Woven Silk Neck Tie Test Pattern Squiggly Stripes Purple Italy

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Jhane Barnes PHANTOM Purple TORNATO Hallucination Italy Made Silk Neck Tie

11. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

On these, I would like to see if anyone knows the tartan pattern and the regimental pattern. I've been thru the normal resources to try to find it.

The tartan is familiar, but the red and yellow stripes go one way only and the ones with similar colors always are in some checked pattern as far as I can see.

[​IMG]

The tie is from Atkinsons.

[​IMG]

12. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I may use the Hallucination part. Who would I pick up with Tornato?

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I tend to use description words not for search optimization but for a peak of interest from followers or lurkers.

If you have a following, your item will be seen. Catch the attention, and persuade a buyers mindset with your description. Tasmanian Devil Tornado [​IMG]

btw, i spelt it wrong the first go around lol.

14. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

^^Could be but I can't find anything that is identical to it. The largest set of tartans were based on blackwatch.

It's almost the MacEwen tartan, but to be accurate, every other red or yellow line would alternate.

Doesn't really matter. just bugs me when I can't find something.