Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

My tweed sales have gone late this year as well. Last year they had all but died off by April.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I sell "winter" stuff all year. Shipped a Coogi sweater to New Zealand thir morning, and sell outerwear year round. To me, it's better to sell an item at a lower profit in May than hold onto it until October. I'll reinvest that money at least a couple of times between now and then.

3. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I've bought a suit and a sports coat from them back before I started coming on the forum here.

The suit I returned because it had a ridiculously low button stance, but I wear a canali sports coat with some frequency.

Ship very fast and in all respects seem competent and easy to work with to me. I'm surprised they cancelled with pending bids.

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Might end up dong that - have a number of items on a GTS / GTC basis and they sell here and there.

Depends on the item - I saved a few NWT Arc'teryx Veilance jackets until autumn last year; had bought them the summer prior and was pretty sure I'd get significantly more $ by selling them in season (since I don't open a lot of listings to international). I was gunning for $300+ profit per jacket - on other items with less profit margin yeah selling off-season I don't have a problem with.

Last edited: May 27, 2014

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

The late-great Red Foxx had an awesome quote on diet's affect on longevity:

"All you health freaks are gonna find yourself in the hospital someday dyin' of nothin'!"

I believe for most of us, the biggest part of longevity is genetics.

6. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

Quick question : I listed an item but didn’t have personal pictures as I was getting something fixed on a button hole (I stated it in the item description). I picked it up yesterday and I was going to put my own photos but someone bought it in the meantime. How can I make sure the guy won’t open a case for item not matching the description? Will I be safe if I send him my pictures now via a private message?

Won’t make the same mistake again in the future.

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I don't think you can make sure he won't do that. I think once the item's sold, it's too late to make changes to the item details. You can send them to him via private message and make sure it's what he wants before you ship, but he could still open a case later.

8. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

And if he opens a case, he'll be likely to win, right? Even if I can show he agreed on it beforehand? That's pretty messed up, it's a relatively important amount of money and I don't want to lose it.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah, but you have to think of this from the buyer perspective. He is going to think it is messed up that you used photos that weren't of the actual item. That may have influenced his bid/purchase of the item. Buyers are allowed to retract bids if the seller changes item information, if he made the purchase before you made the change, he wasn't given that chance. It could be perceived as a bait and switch tactic.

It might work out for you this time, but I think you have learned a valuable lesson. Which is good.

Last edited: May 28, 2014

10. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Hey guys, what would you call this weave? I'm thinking nailhead but I'm not sure. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

Really hoping this doesn't end poorly

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I would offer the buyer the opportunity to cancel their purchase before you ship it (initiated by the buyer, not you). People who ask questions after the fact, more often than not, have resulted in headaches for me. ...and questions that like are pretty telling...

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Tell them it's actually torn to shreds.

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks, sent him message along those lines (opportunity to cancel / refund) so hopefully it works out. I did buy shirt new and have receipt but couldn't really prove it is since it has no tag.

Along these lines, I wonder where people get the idea that something can only be new if it's from a store? Seem to be getting a few more of these questions lately.