Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Auction ended Sunday for a down parka. Went to send an invoice and, arghh, the buyer lives in Russia and didn't contact prior to bidding for shipping rate, which would be around $60 (this is a bulky item). Any rate, when I went to check today, the shipping address had magically changed to New York, so I sent an invoice and he paid, with the New York address showing up on the PayPal account. Then he leaves me positive feedback and sends a message, saying he's in Russia but go ahead and ship to the New York address.

I think I'm cool--after all, the shipping address corresponds to the address on the PayPal account. But how did the address change on the eBay end, with the address/addressee changing overnight from some guy in Russia to someone in New York?

2. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

^^^
    I think you're alright since you've fulfilled the terms of the agreement.
    Can't he just switch his shipping address on PayPal? Maybe he reread the listing?
    I shipped some shoes to an LA address for an SF member who is in Africa.

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

They are probably using a package forwarding service. Google the address.

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I used to do this on auctions in the UK. I have a friend who goes over frequently. So I had the stuff sent to him, and he'd mule them over for me.

5. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

Ok guys I've got a bit of a conundrum. I've sold two items on ebay in the past week. Both buyers have already initiated payment. However, when I click on the view Paypal transaction link to accept payment, it gives me an error message saying that the transaction ID is invalid. I've contacted paypal but have yet to hear back. Anybody have an idea what could be the cause of this?

6. E TF

E TF Senior member

I had a similar problem this week, a link in the ebay message turned up same error message from paypal. I logged in to my paypal account separately in a new tab, and was able to view the transaction with no problem.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Erase your browsing history/clean your cookies......

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

RGHH. The new ebay shipping tool doesn't work right with google chrome. Any ideas...

9. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Hey guys, I finally jumped on board and listed an ebay auction, I got a message from a buyer asking me about shipping to Hawaii.

I think I'll be OK since he's been an ebayer since 2001 and has 151 feedback Buyer Profile

Just a bit concerned as i am expecting the auction to end at about $250-$300.

Is the best way to safeguard myself to ship with insurance and signature confirmation? Does this include tracking? I was planning on shipping the package priority mail as I don't think it would fit in a flat rate box but didn't see any options on USPS site to add tracking to priority mail.

Any tips/quirks for shipping to Hawaii? Do I have to worry about any import fees?

Thanks for your help guys!

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Good luck with the sale Deep. I've had no issues with Hawaii. No import fees since it is a state now....[​IMG]
    I use insurance for anything over 200, but you can insure any amount. At that price signature confirmation wouldn't be a bad idea either, but could cause a little inconvenience for your buyer if it is difficult for them to get to a P.O. during business hours.
    Priority mail automatically has the delivery confirmation/tracking service, free when purchased online.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE LISTING....

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Pretty sure he just needs to log in, even easier :)

Signature confirmation required on anything 250+ no matter where it's going.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Got a PM from highlifeman. Is anyone else having a problem linking to my store in my sig? The domain seems to be crossed. It takes him to a store called space toys or something and it takes me to a boat supply store.

13. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

14. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I go to the boat supply store. Barnagett Bay Traders?

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yep.. I got just a response from the domain app people. Apparently they tried to initiate a caching tool and it scrambled everything. Don't know when it will be fixed....