Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

Take photos outdoors. Indoor photos are terrible with the iPhone.

2. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

Links to your shop in the left sidebars of your listings i.e. other categories or sizes.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hard to quantify the growth for that. Those came at the same time I started using a Mac/Garage Sale, and quit my "real" job. My growth since then has been roughly a 50% increase over this time last year, but with all the changes that occurred it's impossible to divide it out to specific percentages.

However, using the traffic tool, I can see that people do actually use the links to navigate through my store categories. The traffic tool allows me to track from the time a potential buyer lands on any page in my store and can follow their "footsteps" from page to page until the time they leave.

4. DanM

DanM Senior member

:( I take all my photos using an iphone. I admit mine aren't as professional quality as some of the other gents here, but I think I get decent quality. White balance issues are pretty serious when trying to capture color correctly indoors with an iphone - I use an app called Procamera 7, and match my color using either a white sheet of paper or a gray card when I can find the blasted thing.

5. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

Good to know. Thanks for all the advice.

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Step one for me would be to download the Pro Camera or the Camera+ app. Pro Camera specifically has more controls and I generally get better results with it than I do with the built in.

Other than that, it is what it is. If you have really good lighting, you'll get usable shots.

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Well, you can print certain labels, and I know because I to still ship to the federation. Now the best option you can do to protect yourself is to always ship express to Russia, but like Wes said, that requires post office postage, nothing you can do online.

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

If I have a NWT item that has some dirt and small yellow stain, should I list as used rather than new?

9. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

fuck I was so happy to ship this guy's used Armani sport coat... -_- made some good money over it too :x What will happen? I guess I have to refund the guy and will lose my shipping and the SC? Will he have some news from the custom office? the SC was way under 50$ btw

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Those listing titles where you would kill to have 1.more.character. [​IMG]

11. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

12. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

13. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

It reminds me of a crevice filled region where the openings are filled with flowing rivers of caramel and chocolate. It's like an ice cream sundae of a tie!

Not sure if you can do anything with that though.... [​IMG]

14. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I'm trying to improve my primary tie photo, I did some googling and youtube watching and stumbled across the photo below. Any idea what knot this is, and if there is any photo shopping involved? I'm not sure exactly where the tie end is.
    [​IMG]

edit:
    Just figured out the simple knot I think most of you use. This seems adequate enough for now, although I'm sure more light would be beneficial.:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2014

15. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

So the asshat that thought my PRL tie was fake just sent me a message saying he's returning the tie and wants a full refund. It's been a month, he never initiated a refund, what are my obligations and how long does he have to claim the item is fake via eBay? I'm going to suck it up, but I'm curious, it seems the buyers have a huge latitude in this arena and basically can do/claim/not do whatever they want and be backed up by eBay. Is this business model then based on human nature, i.e. there are a certain number of asshats, a certain % of them will buy your stuff, and that just has to be factored into the equation?
    I think he's already on the list but just in case: joker7392

Is that a weave or a print? If it's a weave, I think that qualifies as slubby. Also reminiscent of a snake skin. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think it's cool if it's a weave, as a print, it's a little odd.