Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Excerpt from the description of a sport coat I sold a few days ago: Measures P2P 22, Sh 18 7/8, Sl 22, L 29.75. Note that the sleeves have been adjusted (hemmed) a little bit shorter than average. There is fabric available if you want to let the sleeve out an inch or so. Know your measurements.

Message from buyer today: I just opened the package that arrived today and the sleeves are way too short. I will get it shipped to you within the next few days.

:brick: or Just another day on ebay.

Last edited: May 23, 2014

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I feel ya, brother. Unpaids and returns got me down, too.

And I gotta return my Linda purchase - bad split on the rear vent, lining falling out of one sleeve cuff, and a couple other flaws. C'est la vie.

3. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I added 2014usneiv to the black list. Made me an offer on a pair of pants, I accepted, then he never paid. Other feedback shows he's done the same with others recently. Stupid that I cannot leave him feedback now that the resolution process was closed in my favor.

4. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

Hey everyone. I have been selling on eBay for a little bit and just updated my photos a little bit. Please see link below to provide any feedback. I also had several questions about strategy and wondered if anyone had experience with this and some data on what their results were...

Right now I am charging a restocking fee if the item doesn't fit and is an unworn return, but am considering waiving this and if it will enourage more sales at the sake of a few extra returns and because the merchandising I am getting into is higher value.

Also right now I used the GBS program, but I think it is hurting my international sales, but I'm not sure which countries I should set up as restricted or if changing out of this program makes sense.

If anyone has thoughts on this it would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29115406194...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1803wt_1238

5. DanM

DanM Senior member

I can't speak to the rest, but sweet jeebus your photos are fantastic!

6. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

@FreedBird - Like DanM said, those photos are jaw dropping.

It seems like most ship to all countries other than Italy and Brazil. Some only ship International Express (Spoo), Others prefer Priority International, and others First class. I've been happy with Priority International, but if I had the shipping discounts of some of the heavier sellers here I'd probably mandate Express as well. Ebay makes it really easy to print international labels and custom forms.

7. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

How the hell do I read the measurements on this Canali Dress Shirt. I tried google and Nordstrom but can't seem to decipher it fully. If it matters, it has the standard black label with Canali Made in Italy. Thanks!

[​IMG]

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

O hai, it's the dude with the shoes on the deck railing! I like the new setup on the wash stand or whatever that is. Especially the first pic with the hammock in the background.

Should mention that your title and specifics contradict the Santoni Sizing chart you included. They have it as Size 11 Santoni = Size 12 US, not 13.
    EDIT: Nevermind I see your note in there now. Been drinking....

Thought about waiving the fee too, I usually cap it at $10 because much more than that is just silly.

GSP is definitely hurting you. I get buyers all the time who thank me for not using it.
    Its a good idea to block the following countries
    Italy - against customs regulations to ship Leather goods, Footwear and Sewn Items to Italy.
    Brazil - against customs regulations to ship Used Goods to Brazil
    Russia - It's a bitch to ship there because you have to purchase the postage at the post office and the packages don't track/get lost.
    Ukraine - Same as Russia
    Most everywhere else has been good.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's a 43 cm neck (17")

10. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Thanks, I forgot the majority of the world uses the metric system!

11. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

What? Labels to Russia print and ship the same as any other label in my experience. I ship using eBay multi-order shipping tool, I haven't had a single international label they couldn't print. Speaking of which, I found a Hugo Boss track suit - I guarantee you when I put that thing up, it's going to someone who's name ends with a v.

12. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

Thanks very useful advice! The table is actually a cobbler's bench, which while lost on most looking at the auctions I felt would tie in nicely with selling shoes for the most part. That is the official Santoni sizing chart and I know the sizing chart contradicts itself, as most people find Santoni runs about two sizes larger in US sizing. I think to your point it would be good to remove it.

Also, what type of growth have you seen from sidebar links to your store? Thanks!

13. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Speaking of photos, can anyone point me to some tips on taking product photos with the iPhone? What I've found so far is mostly focused on small objects in a lightbox.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I seem to only be able to purchase first class labels online for Russia, the other options are always grayed out. I shipped there as long as I could, and was getting a ton of business form over there since everyone else had stopped shipping. But after having 3 or 4 item not received claims in a row, I stopped.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

What are you referring to?