Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

How many of you use listing upgrades? I've always wondered if Bold, dual category, etc would actually be worth the extra expense.

2. DanM

DanM Senior member

With all this talk about free listings at one level or another, I thought I'd post this:

http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feeillustrator
    It convinced me to upgrade from a basic store yesterday, based on my activity it will save me $50 a month in fees.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1, that's the only way to do it right. Fill out the fields as accurately ay you can using averages of your historical data and let the calculator do the rest.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Rarely. If I have a highly valuable item that needs a little more exposure, I might do a double category listing.

Bold is a waste of money. Use your photo to make you stand out in the crowd.

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Has anyone created an xml doc for uploading into GarageSale you'd be willing to share?

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

Buyer wants me to wait a week before shipping, guess I have to take a hit on the 90% shipments then? Don't have option to print label past this Saturday?

7. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

If he paid you can print it now and just leave it to the side.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That won't work anymore with the new defucked system. The new standard is tracking uploaded and scanned within the stated handling time.

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah going to try eBay and see what they say. I think I'm at 100% in new standards so should be fine, just a hassle

10. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

I have dropped packages off and they dont get scanned until they hit their next milestone somewhere out there. Does this mean i should now drop them off to the attendants and have them give me a receipt?

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I wouldn't worry too much. That's why its a 90% standard with a 3 month grace/rebound period.

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Excerpt from the description of a sport coat I sold a few days ago: Measures P2P 22, Sh 18 7/8, Sl 22, L 29.75. Note that the sleeves have been adjusted (hemmed) a little bit shorter than average. There is fabric available if you want to let the sleeve out an inch or so. Know your measurements.

Message from buyer today: I just opened the package that arrived today and the sleeves are way too short. I will get it shipped to you within the next few days.

:brick: or Just another day on ebay.

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I feel ya, brother. Unpaids and returns got me down, too.

And I gotta return my Linda purchase - bad split on the rear vent, lining falling out of one sleeve cuff, and a couple other flaws. C'est la vie.

14. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I added 2014usneiv to the black list. Made me an offer on a pair of pants, I accepted, then he never paid. Other feedback shows he's done the same with others recently. Stupid that I cannot leave him feedback now that the resolution process was closed in my favor.

15. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

Hey everyone. I have been selling on eBay for a little bit and just updated my photos a little bit. Please see link below to provide any feedback. I also had several questions about strategy and wondered if anyone had experience with this and some data on what their results were...

Right now I am charging a restocking fee if the item doesn't fit and is an unworn return, but am considering waiving this and if it will enourage more sales at the sake of a few extra returns and because the merchandising I am getting into is higher value.

Also right now I used the GBS program, but I think it is hurting my international sales, but I'm not sure which countries I should set up as restricted or if changing out of this program makes sense.

If anyone has thoughts on this it would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29115406194...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1803wt_1238