Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. concealed

concealed Senior member

My "stream" of interests/searches I follow is not showing up on the eBay home page. What gives?

2. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

You gotta call it out.

This is a part of a BB Suit Listing. My condition description is:

"This suit is generally in very good pre-owned condition, with a couple of issues.... the back of the cuffs have worn thru the very bottom of the cuff so these will need to be shortened a bit or lengthened without cuffs.

The photo tries to make it hard to miss. Plus I add the description to the photo caption.
    [​IMG]

3. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

... that feeling when your auction is bid up above the original Buy It Now price. Two weeks ago I had a $60 BIN item go for above $90. This week's $15 BIN item just hit $17 with over 3 days to go. :slayer:

I am obviously not good at gauging interest in my items (non-clothing). I have two like-new items (that retail for $65+) sitting at $15 that I thought would go for at least $25-30. Maybe I just started the auction too high. I put about 45 min to an hour into refurbishing. I probably will just sell as-is with a lower starting bid next time.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Not thrift-related, but I wanted to share in case the same happens to someone else...
    Since buying my house in Feb 2012, I would eyeball it from time to time on zillow to see if their ballpark zestimate was going up or down.
    In 2013, they added a new last sale transaction, showing my house had been sold for $40k less than I had paid for it. It hadn't been sold - no idea where they got that incorrect "fact."
    I used the "report a problem" form numerous times, to no avail, and there's no other way to contact them listed on the site except snail mail.
    Finally got pissed off enough the other night that I went hunting Zillow employees online, and found a few email addresses via blogs etc. Emailed them, 2 days later it was fixed.
    Zillow isn't a place to get accurate or reliable information when you're buying or selling a house (they freely admit they can have a 5% - 20% or higher error rate on zestimates), but folks still look at it and use their info, so I think it's a good idea to keep that stuff accurate. On the other hand, I wouldn't go adding info that would increase your home's value unless you're actively trying to sell.
    </rant>

6. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

This made me took a look at the item I have that I thought might be fake. Looking at it more closely and comparing to retailer photos, I don't think it's actually fake, but I am definitely including that disclaimer in my description.

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

I had a similar situation, and replied to the seller that I understood they would lose money, and that they should list items with a higher opening bid in the future or they were sure to get negative feedback operating that way. Almost immediately received an email stating there was no problem and the jacket would ship right away.

...I think I accidentally extorted someone.

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Can I hide fixed price listings while I'm away if I don't have a store?

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Nope - vacation mode is store only.

10. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Imagine how my excitement waned when I suddenly realized the Oxxford Manhattan jacket sold from my store was priced low enough to end up being purchased by another flipper. His ebay name bespokecotureconcepts was a clue!

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If it sold for what you willing to sell it for, it shouldn't matter who bought it.

That said, if any of you buy anything from me, feel free to flip it for more if you can. Dilligaf?

12. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

The purchase was a BIN so no room to complain here....just feel like there is a long way to go in the Ebay biz.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

If it was easy, everyone would do it. Lots of hard work

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I was chatting with a friend last night after a swim workout. He said something along the lines of, "There are time clock punchers and self-motivated people." Clearly I'm the latter, and you have to be to be successful doing this.

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I should also add that it's far healthier NOT to think, "I just sold a $2000 sport coat for $50". Think of it as, "I just traded $10 for $50."

What the item is doesn't matter so much as you trading your knowledge of the product for MORE money. I listed 11 pairs of shorts on Sunday, and have already sold 9 of them. I only regret the purchase price on one of them, but only because I was pondering keeping them. But I decided that the $29 I made off of them was worth NOT having yet another pair of Gramicci shorts.