Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Right, but seller is insistent that there was no issue. I sent a message and waited a day and a half then started a case and got a reply slightly after. He replied to my response through the case still denying that there is any error. I sent like 6 links showing what the shoes were. I just want to get a refund. I hate starting cases, but felt like I had no choice since the seller is being difficult.

I had another seller who was super nice about a return because he sent me shoes that were marked FD and he hadn't mentioned it. FD was for factory defect. Seller offered a partial refund or a return. I opted for the latter since the issue would have bothered me.

3. flowvn

flowvn Member

4. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

If you are going to buy on eBay, find a jacket that fits you well than measure it using the guide below (@jebarne created this). Then when you go to buy something new make sure you use these numbers, and don't buy on a maybe... There will always be something else that is the perfect size.

[​IMG]

5. ridethecliche

That seller is really starting to piss me off.

6. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

?

7. ridethecliche

Should have quoted myself from the last page.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

He's probably equally pissed at you.

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

So, seriously, not trying to be a dick here, but how many times have you had to return something/slash initiate a case for an eBay purchase in the last, say, 6 months? It seems like you post something to that effect here at least once a month, which means either you are buying a SHIT TON of stuff on eBay, or you are very hard to please in terms of the quality you are willing to accept in a purchase, and that buying essentially site unseen may not be the best idea for you. Cases and returns are a hassle not just for the seller, but for you as well, and with the number of flash sale sites and regular seller sites that have items in brick and mortars trying to compete with those flash sale sites, you can get great stuff new at a fantastic price these days, and have a chance to actually handle the goods before you pull the trigger. It might be that you are just the type of person who needs to hold an item before you can make the purchase, and that's okay. Accepting that will save both you and the eBay sellers out there a ton of money and hassle in the long run. Again, not saying any of this to be an asshole, just trying to help.

10. ridethecliche

Touche, but...

Usually lots of stuff actually. Most of my shoes are from there actually. If the stuff just didn't fit, I usually suck it up and resell it, but I'm not going to do that if the item was legit misrepresented. That's not my responsibility.

It's happened to me when I was selling as well. Someone returned a jacket because I hadn't mentioned it had surgeons cuffs and it would have cost too much to have it altered. I didn't say it didn't have surgeons cuffs either, but it's something I should have mentioned.

Reasons for returning/starting case for shoes:
    -Sole came off after first wear x2
    -Item was Factory defect, not mentioned at all. It was written inside the shoe. Seller never even put a picture of it on.
    -Heels were described as new, but were like 3/4 worn down (shoes were purchased like new and seller gave a 20 dollar refund. There were no pics).

I don't think I should be responsible for eating those costs. I bought about 70 things on ebay in 2013.

Last edited: May 21, 2014

11. RY4N

RY4N Well-Known Member

Thanks, so you wouldn't suggest buying a jacket on ebay without the measurements from another jacket?

12. ridethecliche

Nope. Never. You have no way to know if it will fit or not.

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Absolutely not, I did when I first started and wound up with a perfect fitting jacket with sleeves 3 inches too short. Now I buy to my exact measurement and have not had any more problems.

14. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I don't know. Based on the pictures you posted, those shoes look like they could be work with or without laces, so I'm not sure why it's that important. Seems like an honest mistake on the seller's part, and like it's still a usable shoe for your purposes. If you put laces in those, what difference does it make? It looks like an edge case to me.

Honestly, I'd be kind of reluctant to sell to you if I was only basing my opinion on what I'd seen in this thread. *I have done deals with you and they've worked out fine, but if I had nothing else to go on, I'd think that you find fault too easily to be a regular buyer on the secondary market, that you should stick to new items that you've had a chance to inspect first hand.

Last edited: May 21, 2014

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Thanks for noticing that!

That's why I'm interested in everyone's plans. Like, who is doing your printing. In my case, I printed them myself on a laser printer because I had previously committed to a design scheme.

When I decided to improve my store look, I didn't love any background in particular. I was at whole foods and was given a brown paper bag and it occurred to me that look could be good for a store specializing in "recycled"clothing.

So I developed a theme around that which I was trying to build on.

So if you look at an item on my store, the theme you see is the same as if you're one of the 3 people who look at my tumblr, which is the same as you see if you order from me.

The Store:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tumblr

[​IMG]

How I designed my label:

[​IMG]

How the label came out:

[​IMG]

The color of the kraft labels avery makes was way off what I expected and you can't print white until you spend some major dough. My half-sheet printing labels are also in kraft paper that I had experimented with custom designs for them as well. I've asked a friend to try to help me get beyond my home-brew design and help improve my presentation.

so, yes, I'm looking for a reasonable source for these stickers, business cards, and a 4x5 shipping insert/ thank you note/ don't open a case card..