Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

This cheered me up. lol

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This quite literally has me cheered up.

Time to go check the gopher traps in the garden... That'll bring me back down.

Edit to add: Yep, that brought me back down to earth... Gophers 2, Fueco 0. Just how does a gopher get past two sprung traps to take out another tomato plant, drag one of the traps 6" down the tunnel, and not get caught??

Last edited: May 16, 2014

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

You might need a garden cat. The cat I had in Portland (it came with the house, and it stayed there when I moved) used to leave me presents of dead moles - best record was 3 dead moles on the front porch during one summer.

Back to B&S on eBay: I've gotta get a dark backdrop - my pics of lighter-colored items always turn out looking like crap. Gonna swing by Joanne Fabric this weekend and see if I can find a big piece of matte dark gray vinyl. Darker items on my light background turn out way better. Someone was asking about using different backgrounds earlier, and I think that's going to be my solution. I've also started playing with using stuff I have around the house already, i.e.: this picture usually hangs over my fireplace - thought it would make a good background for the boots:

[​IMG]

4. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Folks.....Just recovering from a computer crash on Wednesday and missed yesterday's listing cycle.

Fortunately, my time machine back up had all my stuff there to restore, but I still lost yesterday's listing cycle getting parts to repair my laptop. I was worried because I have about 30 items photographed and measured and was starting to assemble the listings when we had a power surge (yes, I have a surge protector).

After the surge, I couldn't get any response from my mac. It was bricked. I ended up having to disassemble my mac, replace the magsafe port, pulled out the battery and then it would turn on, but the boot drive was damaged and the 2nd drive was also damaged (I have a 500gb ssd and a 1gb esata for media.) Wouldn't boot. After trying everything (ever tried to remember terminal commands for changing permissions at 4:30AM?) to restore the drives, the 1gb is back to normal, but the 500gb lets me get to my stuff (mainly all the sw license codes), but won't boot, so I'm currently booting from a stick.

I'm sharing this because I'm out 30 hours, a listing date (I'll post Sunday night), and a few bucks for a new drive and a magsafe port. But, I'd be checking into a hospital with padded rooms if I had lost my files.

SO BACK UP YOUR STUFF!

Tonight!

I use an app called iPhoto library manager to duplicate and repair that library. I use apple's Time Machine to back up any time docked. I had manually backed up my garagesale library a couple weeks ago. If anyone has a better backup hygiene, share it.

Last edited: May 16, 2014

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Wouldn't time machine back up your files or your work done on GS? I use time machine, and have yet to have a problem...but would hate to have worked on files in GS not be there. Isn't that the beauty of Time Machine?

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I hope you're going to get reimbursed by the surge protector manufacturer.

7. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Time machine will do it. However, I still back those up independently. I also do this with all my work files.

My time machine volume is a 4tb drive at home. I manually back up to a different one at my office. About every 2 weeks

I'm a big believer in geo-redundant solutions.

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Not even gonna try.

9. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

hey btw guys, how do you send ties? Because of the high costs of shipping here I usually 'cut' on quality shipping but I wouldn't want to look like a dick sending Lanvin and Bulgari ties in a #0 bubble mailer :X

For example I frequently send luxury SCs with #4 bubble mailer.. is that weird?

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

@Brianpore post on how he ships

@capnwes post on how he ships

11. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Some people may frown upon this but I put a rolled up tie into a Flat Rate box, then put that box into a polymailer 7.5x10.5, ship first class. Since I only use USPS I hope I bring enough business to offset that cost.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Doesn't this eat up a massive portion of your hard drive?

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I added a whole-house surge protector last year on a Groupon deal for $75 (of course they inspect your panel and say you need this and that upgrade, but I didn't bite)...plus the individual outlet surge protectors, which I hope has me covered. Sorry to hear about your surge and resulting headaches - that must have royally sucked - I know I get in a huge panic when I wake up to a blue screen on my PC.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Damn, that sucks.

I send my listings through to the ebay scheduler for safe keeping after about every 10 or 15 I prepare. That way if something happens to the power or I'm out of town, I can still release my listings remotely from my iPhone.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief