1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Letric

Letric Senior member

How do you guys deal with wrinkled jackets / suits? Is there some kind of steamer that a lot of you sellers are using? I usually have to send stuff to the cleaners to get it nice looking.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

What is this type of collar called?

[​IMG]

3. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Senior member

^ Club Collar

2 people like this.
  4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Depending on the fabric, many of the lighter wrinkles can subside by just hanging (gravity).

But when it comes to steaming clothes to rid the wrinkles I use
    [​IMG]
    The only difference is I use the proper garment attachment, with the cloth sleeve over it.

I've highlighted the benefits in the past, but for me, this is the most convenient and effective method for myself. The trigger allows for you to release the steam, when needed. It does not have a constant stream of steam spewing out. I have an upright rowenta that is probably more powerful, but its too bulky, and inconvenient for me right now. Also, my upright hose, seems to only reach the garment hanger that is attached to the unit. Meaning, I struggle when, I want to hang the garment on my own hanger, say on the wall, and use my upright. The reach distance is very short.

--
    Sometimes it may take a few passes or few sessions to completely de-wrinkle a garment. But most of the time, 3-4 minutes is plenty to get most of it out.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'd like to know how the hell this number can go from 98% to 88% in three days wherein I shipped everything within 24 hours of receiving payment! WTF, Ebay??

[​IMG]

Edit... I refreshed the page a minute later and get this:

[​IMG]

This is the system that my seller discounts depend on??

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Also, Ebay really needs to change the way defects are counted.

My most recent defect is for someone leaving a 1,2, or 3 star rating under item description. The feedback left for said item was "good seller" and recorded as positive. Why should that count as a defect??

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

You're preaching to the choir, m'boy...but yes, that's part of the system that plays into our TRS. It gets updated as packages are scanned - I've had mine dip below 80% one day then jump back to 100% a day or 2 later. The TRS discounts (for shipping time) are currently based on a 3-month period, so it's however they come up at the end of that 3 months. The current period for shipping is Aug 1st - Oct 31st, and you'll be re-evaluated for that 3-month period on Nov. 20th. So, by then, all your shipping scans etc should be in the system and you'll be golden.

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

10. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Mine (sig, not glock) sleeps fully loaded with hydroshok attached to the back of my nightstand with this magnet. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lock...s&Ntt=Magnet&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Also have a mossberg 590 above the door of my closet mounted the same way.

11. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I received a pair of shoes today that were trashed and while I'm not normally one to open a case, there were pictures strategically missing. I went to open a case, clicked received an item not as described, and then it prompted me to request a return (seller does not even offer returns by auction definition). What's odd is it did not even give me an option to attach pictures. I'm not sure if the system has recently changed or what. But it's definitely different than when I opened a case a few months ago.

Take the second part of my response with a grain of salt since I have not dealt with it much but here's what I think:
    If you accept the return you'll have the defect, but since you met the request of the buyer he/she will not be able to leave you feedback as the case was settled. I think the only way you do not receive a defect is if you fight it and win. You should be able to check if its currently counted as a defect by going to my ebay>at the top middleish click "in you seller dashboard>click X% of your items had defects>click (small font) download a report>match up item numbers/dates

12. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Thanks a lot for your response. I talked to an ebay rep and the first thing I asked was 'Is this a case?' She said no, it becomes a case only when things get escalated and ebay has to step in to resolve a dispute, it just looks like a standard return request. She told me to go ahead and click on the "Accept the return. You'll pay for return shipping and can send our return label or send your own. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer" option, but then she read his message where he said he was willing to pay return shipping, she advised me to send a message through the ebay messaging system, giving him my address and refunding him completely when I receive the item.

I asked her whether this returns process will result in a defect and she said no, not ordinarily, but take a look at seller dashboard to double check. There is none as of now.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: I guess I have a soft spot for sellers since I am one but I always message the seller if there's an issue, instead of opening a case. Last week I received a pair of shoes, two different sizes. I messaged the buyer, he apologized profusely, refunded me in full and asked me to keep them. I'm sure if I had opened a case he would've gotten a defect.

13. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Awesome, this would be great if defects only count when an item reaches escalation.

14. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

This will count as a defect. He selected "Return Item: Not as Described" or something like that and when the case is closed, and not closed in your favor, it will result in a defect. I've gotten two from this recently.

15. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Goddamnit, now I can't even trust ebay reps to tell me the truth. Thanks for the info. How fucking hard is it to just message the seller instead of going through a formal process?

16. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Not really his fault. I tried to contact a seller for returns and most avenues directed me to opening one of those return processes that would result in a defect.

3 people like this.
  17. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

You're right. The system flowchart is set up like that for a reason. It's just me, I actually go out of my way to avoid all those options and click on 'Other' in order to contact the seller. I don't think most buyers would have the patience for that.

18. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Eyy, so I got a defect for what I assume is a 1,2, or 3 star dsr on item description from a buyer who I know is quite happy over-all, just doesn't understand it hurts the seller. Can I get this changed?

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

The only way might be if he calls Ebay.

20. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Blah that's a step I doubt most buyers will take.