Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I've never seen greeters at a Goodwill - someone always says "Hello, welcome to Goodwill!" when you walk in, but they're the folks working the registers...plus they can't buy stuff until it's been there a week or longer (at my local GW's).

Far as cherry-picking goes: one Goodwill puts all the new arrivals on some racks at the front of the store, before they sort thru it and put it where it belongs...love that - a huge time-saver for me.

2. concealed

concealed Senior member

100% match up to 5% of salary here. No matching after that. Just for a data point.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Funny you bring this up, I almost pulled the trigger on a couple hundred of them a few months back. For personal use, and to include in sales over XXX $ amount.

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I wanted to comment about the child affecting your ability to work...

A friend of mine and his wife had a baby in late December. I went to their business to drop of some shirts to get screen printed yesterday. When I walked in the door, I was greeted by the mom with the baby in a sling. Now, obviously it helps that they work together and can presumably take turns watching the kid, but I thought it was cool that they are able to balance work in such a way that they don't need daycare or to leave the kid with their parents.

Obviously there are different factors affecting people whose work relies solely on them being able to go out picking.

I have to tell you thought that being able to write off 1/3 of our rent, utilities, phone bills, and internet service helped a lot when it came time to file our 2013 taxes! Going forward with this, I will almost certainly acquire a vehicle that will only be used for business. It just makes sense... And yes, I will make more money doing this than I would as a web designer, despite my degree.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

To piggyback on having kids and doing this full time...its hard. I know there are a few full timers here, including myself who have children. The balance between doing this and raising a family is tough at times. You cannot successfully be working on pictures, measurements, or listings while watching a toddler run around you doing laps. But, somehow you make it work, end of story!

7. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

I know people have dealt with this before, how should i respond to this:

"Thanks for your great service getting this shipped out so quickly, It's very much appreciated.
    I have closely inspected this jacket and unfortunately I feel this is not an authentic Ermenegildo Zegna, the label is crooked and does not look genuine...and above all this jacket is fused (glued), not full canvassed as are my other 10 Zegna's.
    Please understand I am not accusing you of selling me a fake, as I am sure you were not aware of this.
    I would like to return this for a full refund including shipping, since this is no fault of my own. I see that you have a no return policy, but I hope you understand my concerns and that this is an exception to the rule."

Kind Regards,
    MXXxx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121334777107?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

The suit label does seem genuine and so does the tag...

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It's going to be incredibly hard for you to fight that since you didn't even put a pic of the tag in the listing (always do this if you can!). You'd probably have gotten higher bids as well.

As for the rest of it... Does EZ have lower level lines that are fused? I don't have a ton of experience selling suits and blazers, so can't comment on the details.

9. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

I do actually, it's all below the description if you scroll down a bit

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I believe some of the Z Zegna stuff is fused, but I'm not positive. I KNOW some of it is half canvas, and I THINK some of it is fused. I another thread regular could confirm this.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

But whether it's fused or not isn't really relevant? The buyer didn't ask about that and just assumed it apparently. That doesn't make it fake.

"It's not as nice as my other ones"= buyers remorse.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  12. sansimeon

sansimeon Senior member

Some (maybe all?) Zegna Softs are also fused.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Oh, my bad... I didn't scroll past all of the description.

The label looks fine to me based on others that I've seen.

What others have said is absolutely correct. Plenty of stuff is fused. This guy got a coat off you super cheap and either doesn't know how to tell whether it's real or not, or is trying to scam you into a free coat. Fight for all you're worth, or take the return. It's your pick. If he's willing to return it, he's probably not scamming you...

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Looks genuine to me, but, I think the buyer is just giving you a heads-up that they will be returning it and they're being nice enough to not jump right to opening a SNAD case. There's not much (if anything) you can do about it...even without a return policy, you still take returns - every seller does. The buyer can open a SNAD case as counterfeit / replica and that's that, whether merited or not. I had a SNAD return on a genuine item before, took it back, refunded, resold for more later. You as the seller are probably right, and the buyer is probably wrong, but selling on eBay means sometimes taking returns. I would rather take a return done this way vs. a case being opened.

15. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Only other thing I'd say on this is that the MAKER LABEL is not clear at all. In the future, you should try to get clear pictures of the maker labels. Would save you in a case like this.