1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That moment you get an offer for 225 for an item you listed for 300 and accept it because you just woke up and aren't thinking straight.

Oh well. I was hoping for 250, but I am quite content with this!

Now I just hope he pays.

Yay he paid!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

Hey guys. I need a little assistance. Guy buys a Brioni coat from me at significantly less what I was asking and then out of the blue opens a SNAD case.

His claim:
    "Received Jacket, it's in good condition but it is much too small. I wear size 40R, this jacket was advertised as 41R, but it's closer to 38S"

The listing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=331173761163

What are my steps to the best outcome. As you can see in the listing I have a picture of Brioni's tag listing the size 41/51. I also posted accurate measurements. Thanks for the help guys.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Try to fight it based on your listed measurements. But I think you might be hosed. That looks like a 38R to me, not knowing how you measured the sleeves.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

You can win that case easily. As spoo has stated many times over -the measurements are a guideline in place for those who want to use them, the tagged size is the truth"

You clearly have the tagged size in the title, tagged size in the pictures, and in the item specifics...It is then up to the buyer to know his size in each brand.

You need to call a rep at eBay and have them see why your listing is accurate, and not a SNAD case...rather buyers remorse.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No..

Yes….

:)

6. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I tried to list a Burberry's made in US, DB suit. Nothing exceptional about it (fused construction, etc.). Ebay gave me this warning message:

[​IMG]

Picture of the tags:
    [​IMG]

I know that Burberry has a lower quality line, and this would probably be it. Should I go ahead and list it anyway? The message sounds scary, and I'm a new-ish seller.

Thanks!

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Is it real, yes, then you have no problem at all. Its just older VTG style but is still a Burberry item.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

that message pops up for all Vero items, nothing of concern, as long as its real.

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Ditto that. Only thing I've noticed is scheduled Burberry items can have a delayed start but you still get the full listing time.

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Is anyone on here 'thetwobirds' on ebay?

11. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Thanks, guys. I got it at a thrift store (obv), so it's not like I have authenticity of proof (or is that the other way around? [​IMG]) but it looks to be a standard, vintage, lower line Burberry suit (ventless jacket, etc). Are there any tell-tale signs that I should look for?

12. DanM

DanM Senior member

Hey guys, any suggestions on what to call this pattern/headline for ebay?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Erratic Puzzle Shape Gliding Intricate Detailed Twill Printed Silk Neck Tie.

14. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

those that have used both white and black backgrounds...which do you prefer and why?

im thinking the black will be easier to keep clean (especially when using for shoes) as well as making the colors pop a bit more.

the white seems like it might be less forgiving. but i have 0 clue so i defer to you. i know Spoo uses black and that alone might be enough to make me change it up.

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

^^
    1st, let me say that like any thing else in this world, some people are just better at this than others. There is an art to capturing a static item and giving it a sense of movement or drama. Look at the brag thread, when people post ties or Belts. Some are on black, some are on white, some are on wood. Brian, jGill, Snoogz, hbkshin, Dan, atlnoob and several others have awesome quality pics that I believe help sell their items. The detail and focus from hbkshin and brian on ties is incredible. I'd be proud to replicate that.

Step one: DON'T LET YOUR PIC'S COST YOU A CUSTOMER.

But still, if I'm scrolling through 100 listings, I can pick out wes & spoo's items with one eye closed. Wes for Suits specifically, and his turntable makes the ties and shoes stand out, & Spoo for Ties/Accessories. I think that what draw people to spoo's pic's is, in fact, that he gets a certain amount of drama in his shots. In some cases, if you were going to bid on a black belt though, you might have trouble actually seeing the detail on the belt against the background, yet you are still drawn in.

I'm on this forum in the first place because of Wes's, Brian's and Spoo's photos. When I was a buyer, I kept seeing their items and really appreciated how good the photo's were that they included in their auctions. I wasn't ever going to bid on a poorly lit or a dingy looking item. I googled Wes's ebay store, that led to style forum, where I recognized spoo's and Brian's photo's from shopping on ebay.

That said, I always love that very clean look of something shot on a white background. However, somethings get lost on it. Cuff Links on white. A white dress shirt on white. Same for black on black.

I think once you have the technical photography down so that the shots are well-lit, details captured, it doesn't really matter what your background it.

I happen to like a textured background for accessories because it adds scale. I've been on the look out for a table with a leather top in black, english tan, white.....almost any color but something that might look like a place in your house where you staged your items while getting dressed. Take off a tie and lay it on the dresser. or put your cufflinks on a table while you're changing shirts. I like staging that looks like how someone richer than I am might use the item.....

Step two: DEVELOP A RECOGNIZABLE STYLE TO SUPPORT YOUR BRAND

Your staging becomes your signature and in the square, photo, preview box, you have 225 square pixels to tell a story that sells your item.