1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

:worship:

2. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

3. Steve Smith

Are you kidding? All I have is some clothing and some shoes. You have a big ass barn in your inventory.

4. suited

suited Senior member

I bought 2 new Isaia shirts to resell at a BIN price and one sold in less than 8 hours. That was 2 months ago. The other is still listed. I've had other similar experiences with items that are closely related. I think a mix of quick transactions coupled with holding out on certain items for the right buyer makes sense.

5. Steve Smith

This is an excellent point, and one which I have intended to mention. Odd sizes are slightly slower sellers on SF and bring significantly less on ebay.

6. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

That's really helpful, actually. Thanks!

7. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Shipped a package to a buyer with 0 feedback and an unverified address, and it arrived today.

Positive feedback :slayer:

Edit - forgot to mention it was also an international shipment

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

9. stylexchangemtl

stylexchangemtl Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  10. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Even ship items to intl buyers on forum is a hassle.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

So I get an email with the questions below this morning..... I feel like no matter how much I try, he is not going to be happy with the suit.

Quote: My nice reply:

Quote:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

:lol:

and block...

That lady on the game with wrong address never ended up paying again. Gave me some shit about paypal holding the funds for the refund and that she was just going to buy it from a store... stupid woman.

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

I like how he gave you directions on most measurements, but "half girth" was left unexplained

14. Steve Smith

That is a great customer to not sell to.

15. Steve Smith

Calculate cost on the USPS site, fill out the customs form, stand in line a the post office. It is a mild hassle compared to dropping off a stack of domestic parcels with preprinted postage, but if you want to maximize profit and move product then international selling is the icing on the cake. The more of them that you do the easier it becomes.

In my experience the lost/stolen during shipment issue is overblown. I have only had one parcel lost, a sport coat shipped to South Korea.

16. ruben

ruben Senior member

I used to HATE international shipping, but with ebay's new shipping setup it's easy.

It just takes a few extra seconds to print the label, and you have to hand it off in person (though I think you can do a carrier pickup), I just take it to the customer servic dsk at the nearby grocery store since they have a usps drop off.

17. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

As one of Steve's (and SF's in general) Canadian customers, I've never had a lost package. Items from the US usually don't run into trouble.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes...free pickup for all international parcels (as well as domestic priority, express and returns). Use the free pickup service, it will save you hours upon hours a year. I probably saved myself a week's worth of time across the year.

19. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Okay, quick question to you guys in the US: what's a ballpark/off the top of your head estimate of the cost to ship a tie from the US to Canada with some semblance of tracking?

This is about my infamous "phoney" Hermes tie from a few pages back. It's taken 2 weeks and another email from the buyer to my personal account before he'd actually use the ebay system. I sent him a message that I would refund the cost of the item if he returned it to me in the condition he received it (I also disputed, for the record, that it was not authentic).

The he sends me this message: WIll you pay shipping?

At this point the answer is Yes! I just want the damn tie back. Hence my question.

Thanks in advance guys.

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

About 22 bucks via priority. I used it when I shipped your secret Santa gift. It tracked until it said delivered.

Just make sure he doesn't try to stuff it in a small flat rate box to save money.