Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Sounds like there is no adult to sign for it when attempting delivery, so they hold it at the PO and the buyer gets a note to go pick it up...I know someone here did get negative feedback from a buyer because they had to go to the PO to pick up their package, which sucked, so hopefully this one works out for you in that they get their package and appreciate you taking the care to send it sig required.

I put a blurb in my listings to that effect, on higher-priced items: "Will be shipped with signature required - cannot ship to a PO Box. "

2. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I had a case opened on this exact problem. Guy moved. didn't change his paypal address. I provided all the detail.

Shows up as one of my 6 defects.

3. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

in eastern NC, the guy who own's the goodwill franchise will not accept plastic of any kind. Why? he's a cheap bastard and doesn't want to spend the money on an point of sale system or give up the % to the credit card companies. Its Cash or check only. And if someone writes a check, they have a manual print out of bad check writers they have to review before they can accept it.

I've got an app named Piiki on my iPhone that photo's the receipt and uses OCR to import it and then upload it to iCloud. a total PITA, but less than carrying around 150 receipts for $8.

Everywhere else....its the paypal debit card.

4. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I use the 6x9 clear plastic bag for ties.

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

upload a pic of your pack

6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Yes I messaged him and said eBay recommends for over $200 you use signature confirmation. He replied and said no issue, him and his wife were on vacation and would pick it up tomorrow so he was happy it wasn't just sitting on his front step.
    [​IMG]

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

This is all I got right now. On my way to drop off.
    There is a box inside the 12x15 bag.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I am curious, I left negative feedback for the seller of Levi's to me. Basically he told me that "eBay" didn't inform him for 4 days that I had paid for my item which is why he shipped late. Second when the pants arrived they were not the listed size (yes yes the tag stated 38x34 which is what his auction states). I believe as a seller it is your responsibility to tell me if there are any differences in clothing that are commonly altered. Did I say something below that allowed him to get my negative feedback removed?

Quote:

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Well, he has a point. But this is a case where the evidence he wants to use only tells part of the story.

If he posted the size as on the tag's but also pointed towards the measurements actually being smaller, he would have been in better position.

10. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Friends,

I have a question on the sizing of Alden shoes.

I posted a pair of short wings last night that were size 8C/B.

I know that the numbers represent a combination last with main width and heel width. but which is which?

[​IMG]

Also, the inside measurement of these shoes is 10 7/8", which on the brannock scale would be at least 8.5. I also did a pair of Mezlan loafers that measured 11", which was exactly a size 9 brannock. and they were marked size 9. On the AE sizer, it would be about an 8.5.

Is anyone expert on the Alden sizing or could you point me to a thread that discusses this?

Thanks

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

To me, your neg should stand. It's unfortunate about the error on sizing. I've made it a rule of thumb to ask for measurements on something I'm interested in personally wearing, if they are not stated to begin with.

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

If I get a defect for having done everything correctly, and the buyer is the one who screwed up, I am going to be incredibly irate.

13. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Wider is always the forefoot. Narrower size is the heel.

14. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

You're correct in that the clothing does not get more valuable over time, but the value of the money spent on that item does change. That is the concept of discount rates, net present value, internal rate of return, etc. $20 now doesnt have the same value as $20 in the future. Given the typical time periods between purchase and sale in flipping and the level of investment made these issues aren't usually meaningful, but they exist whether meaningful or not. Perhaps the easier way to think about it is opportunity cost of choice - with limited resources we cannot exploit every opportunity, so we need to ensure that the opportunities we do exploit are the best of those available.

15. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Thats a good rule, and I will follow it in the future. I need to stay away from eBay (as a buyer) for awhile, there are to many people who half-ass everything and use their power-seller status to get out of jail. Then again, 90% of my buying is for resale.