Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Alright, might pull the trigger on a basic store soon!

From everyones perspective, do you find that the markdown manager is your biggest asset? I don't really know what the benefits are other than lower final fee, more free listings per month (that I really care about atleast).

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I think with the latest "Update" for free listings where they now give you 100 auctions a month and no BINs I will be opening a store as well. I have been having way better luck with BIN, I think it is just the fact that they know they won and I will ship their item the next day.

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I won an auction for a pair of jeans on Thursday, and paid that evening. His auction states "I ship immediately upon payment received!"

He just created the label this morning, and I am unreasonably pissed off about this...

I wrote him a 4 paragraph diatribe about how he should be a professional and if you say you are going to do something you do it. Blah Blah Blah... (I never sent it but it is queued up Holy shit am I being unreasonable? I have a 1 day handling policy and have never missed the dates. I know people are anxious to get their item and I try to send it as fast as I can. Even when I travel, my wife and kids will do the shipping while I am gone. And if I start a store and we go on vacation as a family I will put the store on vacation so at least the people know what is going on. I guess I am just pissed at his lack of communication and general poor business skills.

/Curmudgeon

4. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I know the feeling of being unreasonably pissed about stuff that in the grand scheme of things isn't worth the energy. Maybe an emergency came up and he/she couldn't ship until today. I agree they should have messaged you in that case, but realistically, this is one of those things that's best to just attempt to walk away and let the pissed off feeling pass you by. In 2 weeks, you won't care about it anymore, so it's not worth the stress right now. But I fully understand that feeling of being pissed and realistically knowing you should be less pissed off than you really are.

5. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Yep, at first I was like I am going to leave him negative feedback the bastard, then it was neutral. Now thinking how I could impact someones livelihood, I will probably send a toned down note and tell him I was disappointed in the lack of communication and not following his own policy so I would leave him no feedback.

6. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

are they taking away BINS or something?

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I know this feeling as well. In the end, it probably won't matter a lot. It's a bit depressing thinking that way, but 9/10 times, even people that are told off don't "get it" and at best you'll probably annoy him for a couple of hours. On the bright side, as soon as you get your item, you'll probably forget about it. If you want to sting him, give a low rating on shipping time when you leave feedback. If that becomes a pattern, he'll get hit with higher fees. If you're set on making the problem known, I'd send a quick email that says: "Just to let you know, I paid immediately with the expectation that you'd ship immediately per your listing. If you had some issue as to not being able to ship, you should probably let your customer know, it's just common courtesy."

A similar story to commiserate:
    About two years ago, I bought some new without box shoes from a seller. Shoes weren't cheap ($400-500 or so) and I paid heavily on international shipping (somewhere around $75). Anyway, shoes arrived in a box. That's it. They weren't bagged, secured, wrapped, anything. He didn't even have something in the toes. I was pissed and sent a ranting email that said that they weren't damaged, but I'd expect more for such a price, especially shipping, blah blah blah..." I got my response: "ok"

There was no explanation, no apology, no capitalization nor punctuation. Anyway, moral of the story: an unfortunate number of sellers on ebay don't really care.

Sorry to hear about your case anyway.

Last edited: May 5, 2014

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I was thinking about crap like that this morning when I wrapped a pair of Doc Martens in plastic and stuffed the box with bubble wrap. I absolutely abhor sellers who don't package stuff properly...

9. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Before I throw this up on eBay. Can someone tell me if this is just vintage, or fake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Yes, just got an email no more fixed price free auctions but 100 auctions instead of 50 of both types.

11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

...and that sort of lackadaisical response probably just served to piss you off even more... I agree, in most instances if the seller doesn't care from the beginning, they won't care when you take the time to write a rant. An exercise in futility.

I have no doubt it's real, but it's the licensed logo (which some folks are able to flip on eBay - I've never had much luck with it). More desirable is the "mother and child" logo:

[​IMG]

12. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

ah darn- I'm not sure how I'm going to approach opening a new store.

AT the moment- This guy bought a suit on friday- but he also bid on something ( and won) on sunday.

He hasn't paid for the sunday item yet, but has paid for the suit. Should I go ahead and ship just the suit first, or wait till he pays and ship together?
    I ask because I have my shipping set for next business day (today), not sure how to proceed.

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'm still thinking and talking about it two years down the line :confused:

14. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

If you charge for shipping ask him if he would like a combined invoice for discount on the second item. Probably get him it pay quicker. If free shipping I would send it ASAP

15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Suit was free shipping- other shirt was not- I sent an invoice for combined shipping but no response.

Since the suit was free shipping I should ship now shouldn't I