Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I'm so upset. Every listing from this past week had the last photo not load at all...and this is now the 3rd week in a row this is happening sporadically.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did you write GS directly?

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Or, until theres a fix, you can make the last picture when you create your listings just a black color block….

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I have never written to them directly. What email have you used that has gotten you a response?

Until this is fixed, I've been manually uploading the 12th picture to eBays gallery view up top. But below in the body, it shows a blank small white box (as if the photo was suppose to be there, but the HTML is not allowing it to view)

6. SpooPoker

[email protected]

They are in Germany.

7. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

join their yahoo group. they have 2 designers who constantly monitor the site. For example, one of the designers is trying to fix a problem for one member and sent him a custom load with enhanced diagnostics to better trouble shoot his specific problem. When I had a problem after christmas, he sent me an updated html string to insert that fixed it. I sent him a screen grab of my problem, and it took him under 4 hours to send me the fix.

8. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I know, I had already packed it and taped it down with tears...

I just wanted to vent and hope that it was a common mistake that eBay magically let you recover from. Oh well, I spent more than that on a cup of coffee yesterday and the guy must really want it to spend $100 on it so yeah I shipped it.

I now need to work out a system for my templates. When I copy a template to create an auction am I doing it wrong? I hit duplicate template and it makes a copy right in my Auction Templates area. I fill it out submit it and then delete it... This really seems like a stupid way to do it but I am too lazy to read the manual and that is the method that seemed most intuitive to me. Any Garage Sale users want to give a short spiel on how they organize template, new/waiting to list auctions, current auctions, did not sale auctions, and sold auctions. I seem to get them all into "imported from eBay" folder which again seems poorly designed. Why would you not break it down by ongoing sold and not sold and move the auctions automatically after their status changes?

All right, I guess I need to actually RTFM instead of bitching on here... I should also probably stop drinking so much while listing, that could have contributed to my mistake.

9. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Hah when I posted from my phone earlier I wanted to make a joke along those lines but didn't want you to take it the wrong way [​IMG]. Just blame this one on Mike and his lemonade...

10. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

I dunno if this is the best way, but it allows me to work ahead if I want. Dunno what to do with older templates, but space isn't an issue so I'm keeping for now.

[​IMG]

Above that I have a folder with starter templates that I copy from and drag into Ties/Pants/Shirt folders as I create them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2014

11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Nothing weird about it, and I do see it. I've had cotton jackets with the same slight greenish tint (albeit not a Brioni Piuma - I'm jelly - I think it was introduced in 2012 so that's pretty recent, and summery). When you list on eBay, I'd make sure to single out one photo that best represents the true color, because it's probably gonna be all over the spectrum (literally) when you take pics close up vs. further back.

12. TheNeedMachine

Anyone here in - or close to - Milwaukee WI...who is knowledgeable about menswear, good on eBay, takes great product photos, and writes strong ad copy? If so, I have a guy you need to call - PM for deets, bro.

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I'm pretty sure that Piuma is at least 10 years old based on a find of mind, but I could be wrong. And for that matter, if anyone could prove me wrong, I would welcome it!

14. TheNeedMachine

I was only gong by a few Googles where they said it was introduced in 2012 (was trying to find out what the color was called). Link and Link and Link. But this SF post is from 2008 and mentions the Piuma, so, I don't really know...best case, I suppose you have one that is a couple years old - lapels etc might tell you more.

15. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

So I loved this idea/app when I started using it, but figure I'd give it two months of use before I recommended. Some feedback on app page mentioned buggy-ness, so I was wary. I haven't experienced any.

Ki Tracking emails customers a custom message that I can make, with auto-placeholders for their name, item id, name, whatever. What's important is that they do this when USPS/whatever shipping service marks the package as delivered. This does two things for me. It's serves a pseudo buffer in the same (albeit not as strong) way to resolve issues as the hubcap guy letter (because it comes from my own email) and it is a feedback reminder (though I don't mention feedback in my email). The other thing, and tbh what I care about more, is that it emails me when a package has been in transit for more than X days (I have it set for 6). This has been useful to me twice, last time I emailed the customer saying I was concerned and he replied that after my email he checked with the PO and they had been holding it for him.

I don't know how much it contributes to this, I expect a good but, but I have a 54% feedback rate over the past two months.

I don't check the display often, usually relying on only those 6 day + transit emails, but here's what it looks like:

[​IMG]

Very useful, and for $1/mo, extremely worth it for me.

As an unrelated side note, this is the type of thing I want to have career in: making products for businesses, using data already available, that mitigate issues without involvement of the business owner.

Last edited: May 4, 2014