Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

My first counterfeit claim. Makes me mad, but because of my source for the item (thrift store), I can't say 100% certain it's legit with receipts to back it up. I'm hoping for the best, the person will just send it back and I can give them their money back. The wording of the email makes me think the person honestly thinks it's a fake, don't think he just wants a return.
    Here's the item if anyone wants to weigh in.
    LINK

2. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Definitely real. That's frustrating.

3. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Real. Or the best fake ever. Did he say why he believes it's fake?

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Real, but no fighting it...I had someone claim counterfeit on a NWT Jack Spade bag I bought at Marshalls - I had the receipt - didn't matter since there way way to attribute the receipt to a specific item, because I had removed and tossed the Marshalls store tag.
    Sorry you're getting it returned, but as you said, hopefully just refund and relist with no hassles.

For giggles I searched sold Ike Behar listings, seeing as folks have been picking up ties and whatnot and I pass them up all day every day...and who do I see in the top 10 highest price sold items? Spoo, for an Ike Behar tie, $100. How is that even possible? They sell for like $20 at Marshalls and TJX, new. I don't get it. It really does boggle the mind. That tie sold for more than a NWT Ike Behar leather messenger bag that [allegedly] retails for $425. Sold for more than an Ike Behar tuxedo.
    Conclusion: the man is the king, untouchable...must be using some sort of subliminal suggestions in his listings. Unreal.

Last edited: May 2, 2014

5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Man, I was feeling pretty good about my 50 and 45 dollar ones too. But I rarely see Ike Behar's at my local Marshall's I'd pick them up if I could though.

6. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Now that I'm learning the shipping game a bit more I'd like to transition my under 13 oz single shirt or single pant sales from FR Priority to first class. From my quick research it seems like a 9x12 clear poly bag inside a 9x12 gray poly mailer is the best bet. Is 9x12 the size others use or something slightly larger?

7. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

If you look farther down, he has 2 more in the 50-80 range. That's only 30-50% more than @hbkshin 's Ike listing. iirc, Spoo has a 1000+ following who knows he puts up 90 tie listings per week at 9.99. What he's doing is very, very impressive, but understandable and simply professional. What's far more interesting to me is his sourcing. That seems untouchable, but I don't roll in New York with several years experience.

Last edited: May 2, 2014

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Looks real but nothing you can do if you dont have proof. I was told by a ebay rep to add "No Authentication of Proof - Sold Based on Photos In Listing" to the listing so that you don't have this issue in the future. All my new listings have this now. Very rare to have an issue like this so have not tested if this verbiage will win a dispute but the ebay rep said it would.

9. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I don't know how many of these are just watching the auction but this is the most amount of watchers I've had, even with that one PTO listing. I'mma be mashing that refresh button Sunday.

[​IMG]

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Don't you just love that. I am going through the same with a Jacket...not sure if the watcher are going to get in on the action but its nice to have over 250 views and 20 watchers.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321388440424&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

A few times, my jaw drops at the selling price - not often am I surprised, but this was one of those times.

Did you mean to write "proof of authentication" instead of "authentication of proof"?

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: May 3, 2014

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Anyone else notice the new updates to fees? Looks like those of us without stores will get an extra 50 free listings in the clothing category per month. Starts the middle of this month. Those like Spoo who easily hit this every month will save $15 (.30 * 50) *12 $180 a year. Not a big deal for him, for me or the other small sellers who list 50 things and only 20 sell this allows us to list 100 things and hopefully get 40 sales per month.

14. JL3212

JL3212 Senior member

Could be reading this wrong, but it looks like this only applies to auctions, and if you do not have a store, you no longer have any free fixed-price listings for clothing:

• "If you do not subscribe to an eBay Store, you’ll enjoy up to 100 FREE listings*—pay no insertion fees—every month.
      • 50 of these will be dedicated auction-style listings, which can be used only in the categories listed below. There will no longer be an allotment of free fixed price listings for items listed in these 14 categories, unless you subscribe to an eBay Store.
      • You’ll also receive 50 free listings* which can either be additional auction-style listings in the categories listed below, or auction-style or fixed price listings in most other categories.
    • The standard insertion fee for fixed price listings in the categories listed below will be 30¢ per listing. Note: This 30¢ per listing charge will apply to Good ‘Til Cancelled listings that renew on or after May 15, 2014.
    The following categories are affected by this update, and will no longer be eligible for free fixed price listings* to sellers without an eBay Stores subscription:
    • clothing, shoes, accessories"

Looks like I'll have to start running more auctions at prices close to what I'm asking for BIN, or get a store.

15. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

do any of you guys bother following up with buyers who haven't left positive feedback?

there are at least 10 right now for me that haven't.