Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

If you sell an item with free shipping, presumably you have built the shipping cost into the price of the item...so if you want $15 for it and it'll cost you $5 to ship, you list it for $20.
    If returned, you refund the $20, and list again for $20, so you're not really out shipping costs on the return, if you still want to get $15 for it and relist it for $20. That assumes you resell it for $20, of course.
    At least, that's how I figure it when offering free shipping, knowing there might be a return.
    I've only once deducted my shipping costs when refunding a return, on an item that cost me $22 to ship, and told the buyer I was doing so. No complaints from them, knock wood.

2. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Ugh so I just had a case opened because a buyer is saying he didn't receive an item and it's showing as "Delivered". This is gonna get me a ding on Defect isn't it?

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

If you win the case all feedback and ratings are removed (good or bad).... and you should win no questions asked. Make sure to respond and upload tracking info to the case details.

4. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Is it true for the new system though? It seems like people got defects for anyone opening a case for any reason at all. I'm currently pretty slimly in the "Top Rated" for the new system and another defects going to kill that.

Responded and gave him the tracking number again.

5. Brianpore

6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Ummm have you been at the PBR again?

$20 - $5 = $15 (Lets say $3.50 cost and $1.50 to eBay and PP so ~$10 profit)

Item returned sell again for $20

$20 - $5 = $15 ($3.50 cost, $1.50 fees, $5.00 first time shipping == ~$5 profit)

So of course you are out the original shipping. I think I am going to open a store soon and will add a 15% restocking fee to any returns for fit issues. This way I re-coop some of my shipping costs.

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I have (been at the PBR again). My bad. I guess I don't fret over it or think about it as much - just checked and I've had 10 returns in the last 14 months, and on most of those I charged shipping on top of the final price (which I did not refund in most cases), so it hasn't been a big deal.

For the original poster, you could try refunding minus original shipping but a buyer could pretty easily turn it into a SNAD (warranted or not), so I think the tacit agreement is to acknowledge that the buyer bought the wrong size and you let them return it, and the buyer knows this in their own head and is willing to pay return shipping to get a refund.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

From what I can tell, they will not remove defects, at least not yet.

9. Brianpore

It's a risk but worst case the item gets sent back to him for insufficient postage and he just resends it... How much do you think he is saving if he ships 100 items a month like that.....totally taking advantage of the postal system. 98%?? of the time they do not check the weights.

10. Brianpore

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I guess I'll worry about the limit when I hit one. Like I said I have never had any limitations yet. I list almost 2000 items a month.

12. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Just got an email from PayPal that a buyer tried to file a dispute on item purchased almost 2 months ago. They're outside of the 45 days for a PayPal dispute. They left positive feedback about 3 weeks after receiving the item. Oh, and I did I mention it was around a $1,000 transaction? Guess I'll just sit back and wait for a chargeback.

13. sansimeon

sansimeon Senior member

Anyone familiar with Max Mara or womenswear in general who could tell me if this blazer looks recent or dated? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to womens stuff.. Tags seem pretty recent but I can't tell if the styling is modern or not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Okay so I had a buyer win an auction. Asked for a few extensions and ultimately did not want to pay for the item. Okay, not big deal I know it'll sell again. I opened a case with "Buyer did not want item" and eventually the buyer didn't respond (7 days) and I closed the case.

I got a fucking Defect for it. Why is it that closing a case that a buyer caused, yet was a happy outcome for everyone, affect my fucking Defects according to the preview?

15. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

If I read it correctly, the seller would also get a defect for opening a cancellation case for a return (for those not using managed returns). Such a crock!