Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Some sellers might have an inventory and shipping setup that would make combining a hassle. Not disrupting that system might be worth more to them than the increased goodwill and business that would come from offering combined shipping.

Not the business choice I'd make, but I can understand it as a rational decision.

2. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Anyone do Amazon selling? I've been dabbling in FBA and while it's a lot less profit, its a lot less work.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Good point. Another thing to consider is that combined shipping is not always less expensive. In many cases, combining two shirts into a box (which must be sent Priority, 1 - 2 pounds) is more expensive than shipping them separately by First Class. Buyers never seem to be aware of this, so instead of explaining this to them I usually give them some discount anyway. I look at it as a small volume discount.

Last edited: May 1, 2014

4. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

some guy from hong kong won an auction of mine. my auctions state i ship to US only. (and he only has 2 points of rep)

he hasn't paid yet and its been two days.

can i cancel his bid and offer it as 2nd chance to the next highest bidder?

5. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

If you have you're settings correct, he shouldn't be able to bid without a US PayPal address. Have you check the his address by pulling up a mailing label?

6. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

really? didnt

ah did not know that. but he hasn't yet paid. i guess we'll find out if and when he does.

7. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

You can still pull up a label without the buyer paying. Just don't purchase/print it.

8. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Fuckin a bro (to COIN a Spoo phrase).

I love you guys in a totally manly and heterosexual way. I didn't call yesterday because of the info about not selling replicas and I was nervous. Finally I said hell with it and called just now. Got a very nice lady from India who said it is obvious that you had it well documented, so I will escalate this case and than close it in your favor! [​IMG]

So Fucking stoked right now! Thanks to @capnwes @jebarne and @SpooPoker (+ everyone else who chimed in that I am missing here) for your guidance on this. You guys make this the greatest forum on the intertubes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

[​IMG]

10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Hella grats. I hope you made a good profit off these.

11. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

hmmm yes a small profit [​IMG]

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

So I got a sweater today in the mail. Came in a tyvex envelope, fairly heavy. I noticed that they had shipped it First Class which surprised me because it was heavy. So I weighed it and it came in at 1 lb 4.4oz, I then looked at his label and it shows 0 lbs 3oz... WTF??? How the hell did he get away with that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

14. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

I'm new to this thread, and really glad it exists. I have a return policy question:
    I sell an item with free shipping. Buyer receives it, and does not say that the listed measurements are wrong, but that it doesn't fit him, and he wants to return it. I accept the return with him paying the return shipping costs, but I'm still out for the cost of shipping it to him, even though the product was exactly as I described it. Would it make sense to make him pay my shipping costs as well? My return policy states that returns are accepted "if the item does not arrive as described."

(This transaction happened IRL, and I didn't bother trying to get both-ways shipping out of the guy.)

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief