Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Just respond and make sure the tracking number is included in your response. Usually it is automatically included if you used eBay shipping tool. Be as helpful as possible, though there is usually not a lot you can do. If it was insured, you will be the one initiating the claim, but will probably need to let some more time pass before this is possible. These time periods come to mind, but I may be slightly off, 15 days beyond estimated delivery date for USPS claim and 30 days for shipinsure.

Kicking the horse with this, but it sucks that you earn a defect for these types of cases. Even mine, where I dealt pity with the customer for a month, escalated the case for eBay review only after first calling an eBay rep for help, and eBay decided no fault and let both of us keep our money telling me it would not be on the record. Yep....defect.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Scratch the part about insurance claim. Won't do any good since it was marked as delivered.

3. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Thanks, OK, thought I needed to be careful about something. Guess not. Interesting about the defect even when it was marked delivered. That's a guaranteed 1 in 1000 or so defect in my experience using USPS. I've probably had 3 like this. Not a big money case, this one, but even if I were to give the guy his money back, which I see no need to do, it's still a mark against me.

4. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Exactly, eBay is actually making it worse for buyers. Cases like these you maybe give a partial refund or full refund if it is a serious buyer. Now if you don't fight this tooth and nail and win the case you get penalized. I don't like doing it, but every case open against me and every neutral/negative feedback I will be on the phone to eBay escalating to supervisors until they resolve it in my favor.

5. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I saw a while back @capnwes had an issue with a buyer claiming they were sick or something and couldn't pay right away. I have a similar case, the man says he is at a cancer center with his wife and will pay once he gets home. I don't have a problem delaying it is just a $15 item. I just don't want him to get an unpaid case when my payment date is due. Is this automatic? Is there a way I can give him as much time as he needs without penalty?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I just got another f---ing neutral feedback where the buyer never contacted me to tell me something was wrong or even bother leaving a description of what was wrong in the comments. WTF is wrong with these people who do this? I wrote him a note which I hope came across as civil asking what the problem was.

It's getting far too easy for buyers to shoot sellers down for no reason with no way for the seller to get the feedback removed. I strongly feel that Ebay should require "helpful" feedback when a buyer leaves a neutral or negative. To me, the one-word note in this case comes off as something that could be a positive. As it is right now, I have one gleaming pile of turd at the top of 950 glowing recommendations.

7. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

Which of the two (USPS vs Ship Sure) do you prefer when sending domestically or internationally?
    Yes, you can stop the unpaid reminder.

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Can you guys point me to a simple, clear location that explains the difference between Macclesfield, Foulard, Madder, etc?

Pictures and large print would be nice.

Silk Weaves for Dummies?

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1

10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Spoo via Thrift Thread

11. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Edit: Deferring to Spoo post. There is a little more to it, though.

Strictly speaking a tie is a Macclesfield when the silk was made in Macclesfield, England. "Foulard" originally referred to a certain lightness of silk. Neither is a question of weave.* In practice the terms seem to be used mostly interchangeably, with foulard maybe being more common, to refer to ties with small, repeating neat patterns—usually geometric or floral. "Ancient madder" is a printing technique and has nothing to do with pattern—you can have an ancient madder tie with a neat pattern identical to a Macclesfield or with a wild paisley pattern, for example. You can recognize an ancient madder tie by its slightly "chalky" texture.

*There is a thread where Manton suggests a Macclesfield uses a fine weave, but David Hober in that thread gives the definition I've used.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

12. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Thank you both, but its close ups of photo's with exemplars I'm going to need. Paisley was also a printing technique, originally done with carved blocks pressed on silk.

I get the printing vs pattern woven in, its the actual weaves I need.

Woven silk, but feels like wool:

[​IMG]

Woven, but fine and smooth:

[​IMG]

Silk Twill - (as an aside, does anyone know the regiment off the top of your head?):

[​IMG]

Heavy Thick weave (macclesfield?):

[​IMG]

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

So that first tie isn't considered a twill?

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I could use a picture guide as well, would be super helpful. It seems like ties can fall into a few categories depending on the weave, print, and material.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Who is the user? randlarse? I had the same thing, almost exactly, this morning.