Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Because when they contact you, using the item not received, or not as described options, a case is automatically opened. Even if the item is still in transit, or was received but doesn't fit. If they were to do away with that automatic case thing they started last year, this would be a whole lot better.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

True, but even when you attempt to resolve an issue within the system, you get a defect...just from the initial contact. I cooperate with all returns, but getting a defect when I offer hassle free returns is crap. A contact outside ebay would get the same great service, and return options as inside ebay. The only difference is there will be no defect on my account. No need for feedback extortion as I won't fight a return outside ebay. Ebay is claiming that this is the point when buyers are likely to leave eBay for their shopping needs. I would contest that, as several of my best/regular customers are buyers who had returns on the first try.

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Yeah I understand, it just makes me nervous. I think eBay is saying that buyers are leaving when they LOSE. So eBay has figured out a way to make sellers never make a buyer lose by punishing them every time a buyer squeaks. Ugh.

PS: How do you size a non-adjustable bow tie? Is there a particular measurement I'm looking for (see pics)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

You don't get a defect if they choose, doesn't fit/wrong size, unless they say SNAD.

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

While not an exact answer to your question, this link was the holy gray for ebay and paypal contacts. I don't know how much they've changed since this was published but I would imagine a lot of the people are in different roles but the main numbers are probably the same.

http://consumerist.com/2008/06/06/a...resses-and-phone-numbers-you-could-ever-want/

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

True, of course they can still hit you with a low star rating for item description on the back end and there's the defect.

Like this one

[​IMG]

Clearly the guy thinks this is my fault, clearly he does not know his measurements either. Once he realizes he is out return shipping and a $5 restocking fee, he will probably leave a low star rating.

The worst part of all this, is I get anxious every time I hear my phone buzz with a new email, thinking it's another "item defective" return because they buyer didn't like the color of his tie.

8. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

So my annoying customer about the 41R vs 41L hasn't shipped the item back by eBays date. What happens now? Never had someone not return something

[​IMG]

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Had one of these a few weeks ago. The buyer shipped it back 2 weeks (10 business days) late. The return system still prompted me to refund the buyer within so many days. I didn't see that there was a way to enforce the late return cut-off date and eventually just refunded it to avoid more trouble.

10. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

So, remember that seller I ended up leaving the poor feedback on? Sold me the madras harrington-ish with the shredded sleeve lining? After cooling down a bit, listening to you sellers talk about how much of a problem negative feedback is, purchasing something else from the same seller without realizing it, and checking her nearly flawless seller record prior to that one I made, I got her to submit a request for feedback change (tried to do it on my end but couldn't) and changed it to neutral and five stars on everything except item as described, which I put at 3. Those both cause significantly less problems for sellers right?

Figured since I brought my problem here originally I should give y'all the epilogue.

11. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Still think you should have left a positive/none at all; provided the seller communicates promptly, is pleasant to deal with, owns the error and takes the return immediately, a defect like that which is easy to miss isn't worth even a neutral imo. As every third post in this thread evidences, it's a pain to keep an honest record on ebay and that seems like an honest mistake.

12. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Replying to my message, pictures attached, with "it seems to be in good condition to me, but I'll refund if you're unsatisfied" was absolutely wrong considering the damage was severe. I can accept missing the damage, I can't accept getting very clear evidence of the damage and still saying it's in good condition.

13. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Oh, wow. Okay then, hadn't realized that was the response.

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Real quick -
    Item not received case, tracking says it's delivered, buyer said so in the case. What's my responsibility besides consoling the buyer, asking him to contact his postal carrier, etc. I remember there is something we shouldn't say or am I remembering that incorrectly? I don't ignore the case, but how to respond to it?
    Thanks