Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Nah, I know and I completely agree. Thanks for the reminder though. I'm usually really cool with taking things in stride when they pop up, but usually it's like 1 thing every 2-3 months. When 5 things pop up a couple hours before you try going to bed, it's just semi-overwhelming for a moment. Returns don't bug me a bit. I've resold every single thing that's been returned so far. The lie about the counterfeit thing gets under my skin mainly because there's nothing a seller can really do, especially on a vintage item. I don't have the receipt for my wedding suit that I bought less than a year ago. Who is going to have a receipt for a vintage item that's changed hands countless times? It just seems like you could buy a $10,000 1960s Gibson Les Paul and then claim it's a counterfeit and get a refund and keep the item the way eBay seems to work in these situations. Hoping the buyer will just return for a full refund and then I'll just have a defect or whatever and be done with it.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

This guy is a little painful to listen to....but I think I like him.

[​IMG]

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

That video was a bit painful, but he made some excellent points. I wouldn't mind any of what he suggested really. Just a bit hesitant on the contact letter...I don't think I want my personal info so open. I know its accessible to all buyers already, but to have it right there in hand, seems a bit too exposed for me at the moment. If we can implement something similar, I would be game.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Was thinking something more along the lines of a designated direct email address.

5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

+1 on this. I'm thinking of picking up some postcard sized pages to print some cards with.

6. DanM

DanM Senior member

I just set up a dedicated address for my store. As I was already planning on upgrading all my packaging materials and adding a thank you note to each package along with a store business card, i think the contact letter is a great idea.

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

One more thing to check! lol

But that I think is a good alternative.

I still do not fully understand the defect dings that are going to kick in soon.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I understand the dings, I just don't understand why or how it makes sense. As it stands right now, I would not be a TRS if the new system was active.

9. My Main Man

Thanks for posting that, wes. 99% of the time, stuff like that seems really unnecessary and stupid, but I fully agree with everything that guy said. I would love to see a buyer dashboard implemented. I know that eBay caters to buyers because they're the ones spending the money, but if they piss off sellers, they're not only losing their fees and percentage, they're most likely losing the sellers as buyers as well. Just seems like eBay's system is setting up sellers for failure a decent chunk of the time.

10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

If they're implementing a new TRS, it should be with a with a clean slate.

11. My Main Man

There should also be some sort of information given to buyers or even new account holders that explain to them the repercussions of low star ratings/neg feedback/etc. Obviously, it's warranted a lot of times, but I honestly think most people who are strictly buyers on eBay don't know or care at all. Probably no way to make them care, but it seems like it would be worth a shot. Even if there was a pop up when you click 1-2 stars for shipping time/item as described/communication/etc. that says something along the lines of "Leaving low ratings can damage seller's account reputation. Please only continue if star rating is warranted."

12. DanM

DanM Senior member

"How to avoid defects on ebay: sell on etsy, AAAC, and styleforum"

13. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I don't understand why ebay is taking a posture against accepting seller evidence and insist that a buyer opening a defect is absolute proof against you.

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

It was clean until March 1. The August review will include all data from March 1.

15. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

In the video he says 50-75% of the time a buyer contacts you about the item, you'll get a defect. Wait, what? How is a defect assessed in this case?