Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

that top neutral feedback is so god damned absurd. mind-blowing.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

The shittiest thing about it is that I got him to say he would get the feedback removed, then he never did. That's the only reason I waited so long to call Ebay about it. I knew it was an obvious candidate for removal, but I figured I should let the buyer do it if he actually would.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

How is that possible? I thought the buyer had to return the item in order to get a refund. I've never refused a return since it's easier to just do it, block, move on...so if I did fight one and eBay sided with the buyer, eBay would refund the buyer (presumably via my PayPal account) whether the item was returned or not?

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If ebay decides a case in buyers favor, they refund automatically.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I fought one once. The notorious case of the "Vintage means New" tuxedo. Ebay decided in buyer's favor, Buyer had to provide tracking and proof of delivery, then I had a certain amount of time to pay them back. I ended up appealing because the buyer damaged the suit during the return.

6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Argh. Well that blows. EDIT: does eBay refund via their own buyer protection program (eBay pays the refund), or via the seller's PayPal account (I pay the refund)?

All my returns have been buyers purchasing the wrong size, and while it might sting to accept them (I had a $400 return come in today, which chapped my heinie), it would hurt a lot more if there were a case opened and I lost.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This depends on what the case is for. I recently won an item not as described case against a seller and was asked to return the item.

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

On a related topic, I spent 90 minutes today on the phone with Various ebay reps. In the new seller rating system that goes into effect in August, but uses data from March 1 forward, I have one defect. I mentioned this a couple of days ago. The punch line is that even though I have clear, documented evidence that these shoes were sized appropriately and not defective, it is ebay's new policy to not remove a "defect" for "item not as described" for any reason whatsoever. I put a lot of pressure on the guy and he had the following as reasons:

• This type of situation where a buyer abuses the NAD policy are very rare, and if they side with the seller, research shoes that the buyer most often leaves ebay. That's why the standard is 98%. It gives you 2% for situations like this. I pushed back by saying that I make enough mistakes on my own that I don't need help using my 2%. To which he said, "well in the scheme of things, you're only 1 return below 98% and I should easily be back on track. To which I said, "Yes! My point exactly. And the one I'm over is total bullshit which you should remove"
    • A lot of unscrupulous sellers have provided false evidence in the past that has led ebay to rescind things they shouldn't have. To which I said, "What's your standard of evidence? Photographs? Written authorities? How do you train your case reviewers?" They don't have one.
    • The program is new, and this is why it doesn't go into effect until the August period, it gives time for sellers to call in and provide feedback on the new system. He said they have a history of adjusting things to suit buyers. My advice is to call every day you get a potential defect and let them have it.

My view is that if they don't have a way to knock off defects that are clearly disproved, then their problem is going to be really big. I'm a small seller. If I lose 20% of my fees, it will hurt some, but won't really affect me in a huge way. The ebay discount for someone doing $20,000 a year is less than $500. However, factor in any impact on shipping price, and large volume sellers, you're talking real money.

I also told them that the behavior they are going to drive is a heck of a lot more escalations, because a seller can no longer afford to simply eat a return because the only way to NOT have the defect show up is to WIN an escalation. So, I should have not agreed to the return, should have escalated the case, and then, if I won, it MIGHT not have counted against me. He wasn't actually sure if a case being opened was all it took.

If they don't change this and a seller can point to actual harm caused by clearly false information, I see a class action suit in their future. Or could a seller go after a buyer and claim they were harmed by their improper claim and try to recover 10's of thousands of $$$$, just to make a point to ebay? It won't happen because most couldn't afford it, but with deep enough pockets and enough at stake, it seems that someone might do it. Some people just like fighting about stuff.....forget having real money on the line.

Sold a pair of Allen Edmonds Walden penny loafers size 12C. A Handsewn last.

Guy gets the shoes and sends the following:

"I just tried these on yesterday and they are extremely too small. I own a pair of different edmonds in (width c) and they are definitely not this narrow and small. Seems like a defect, because this not normal of a 12 and a c width.

I noticed your return policy is within 14 days and the buyer pays shipping.
    This isn't a problem, I just wanted to touch base with you before I shipped them.

Sorry it didn't work"

I replied with:

"Hi. I'm so sorry these aren't going to work for you. I think its probably the last. For example, when I get anything from them in the hand-sewn last, my normal 10.5E in their other lasts turns into an 11E or bigger.

As you've noted, I participate in the Ebay hassle-free returns and all you have to do is click on the item in your bought items and follow the steps to complete the return. It will give you a label to tape to the box. I refund when I get the shoes back."

He opened the return with the reason:

"jcru185 is returning ALLEN EDMONDS Walden Top Strap Penney Loafer Burgundy Calfskin Size 12C USA 1427 # 261429666897. We'll email you tracking information when the item is shipped.
    Reason for return: Item defective

Buyer comments: just doesn't fit well. seems significantly too small in length and width for a 12c. I wear edmonds often and it seems like a defect."
    I didn't fight it, because frankly, I was busy that week and it was easier for me to pay the shipping. But, these photos, to me prove its not a defect.

[​IMG]

Allen Edmonds Shoe sizer. Taped onto my bench.
    [​IMG]
    Detail showing inside length of shoe,11.75" as in the listing, right on AE size 12 once you factor in toe room. Nothing defective.
    [​IMG]

9. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

How do you guys with some volume turn off? I'm trying to segue into 40-60 items per week, and have it pegged at <30 hours, but it feels like 40+ because I'm constantly refreshing seller pro and checking my phone. I only want to do this for 7-8 more months, and at the same time teach myself to program/school. But goddam, even if I can make time, it's freaking hard not to be thinking about this shit all the freaking time.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Get on my bike. Get in the pool. Go for a run. Read a book. Work in the garden.

Today, I spent 5 hours working on sales, 2 hours in the garden, watched Rio (finally!) and went for a swim.

It's hard to turn off when you're running a business, but you learn!

11. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I'm not a large volume seller, but your question can easily be expanded to any profession, hobby, or life influence that can gobble up every second of your life. I am a Stephen covey - 7 habits guy through and through. No way I'd be able to balance all the components of my job, let alone my job, wife, baby, eBay fun business, and doctorate program without the 7 habits. Put first things first and ensure your big rocks are prioritized :p.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

How do you reach the US phone line again? Used to always get the line but can't seem to get it anymore

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Didn't realize this was a thing.

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Me either...I wake up throughout the night to check messages and eBay forward sales.

I cannot seem to turn it off. I cannot even shop retail without grumbling.

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Can any of you give me a step by step on how to get Paypal Multi Order Shipping to print ONLY the label (not the receipt half of the sheet)? I have started to use self adhesive labels but I don't want to waste half of every label on my non-ebay sales entered in PPMOS.

I have worked it out already on the labels printed on ebay. My printer is a Brother HL2270DW, which I think is used by some others here.