Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. DanM

DanM Senior member

According to the new seller standards, I'll only be "above average". Knocked out by an asshat that opened an "item not received" case when my auctions state two day processing, he paid with an echeck, which took over a week to clear and ebay said not to ship until it cleared Paypal. And despite shipping the package on the second business day, case opened...

2. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Picked up this Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Custom Tailored Blazer last week.

It has a golden fleece button that I haven't seen before that mimics some of the corneliani and brioni buttons I've seen.

I need 6 or 8 more for the sleeves of the coat. Have you guys seen these before? Anyone have any they'd sell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I've done this before. Because the shipping system defaults to whatever you pop in as your choice at the beginning of the auction, you have to remember if you needed a different package to update the label and not to just just hit pay and print.

4. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Yeah I used to do it like that as well, but I have some ending everyday and it would just be more convenient to realist automagically.

Just signed up for the group, will post the question there.

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

If you look at the inspector, the last tab on the right is the "auction" tab. About half-way down you can click on automatically relist and that will do it. I think the auction has to be running at the time, so you probably want to group them by when they expire so you edit them all as one.

6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

No that gives this warning and is what started this whole chain by me

Quote: So I had a BIN last night and this morning woke up to the same auction listed again even though it had sold.

7. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

It has a tie to inventory. If you've set up a quantity of 1 in your inventory, it will stop the relisting because it knows you don't have it to sell.

but if like me, you haven't previously set up an inventory, I can''t see how to add it.

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

If we now decide to opt out of hassle free returns, and process everything manually, will this help our "not as described" returns and our rating?

Because this is bullshit for standards...

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh, I see. That wouldn't work out well if you run 10 day listings, but would be nice for 7 day.

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Yeah, all of my free listens are 7 days. Although I am not sure why it would be bad for 10? I think they are free even if they cross into another month.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Well, if you want your 10 day listings to end on a certain day, Sunday for most of us, having them relist automatically on Sunday night would have them ending on Wednesday the next time.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  12. Irish

Irish Senior member

I'm blown away by the knowledge in this thread. Seems like an ideal group to ask about a case just opened:

I'm not a regular seller, but I list some nicer things that don't fit or I find marked down. On 3/28 I sold a nanamica cruiser ($750) to a guy in Italy. The buyer sent me a message that he would pay April 1. He paid and I shipped--eBay Global Shipping Program. I sent it to eBay, they sent it to the buyer.

Now, tracking shows that there were three delivery attempts -- 4/11, 4/14, and 4/15. In the midst of these, the buyer contacted me to say he had not received his item. He said he had a doorman at his address and that the package should have been delivered. He asked if I sent it to the wrong address, what courier I used, what post office, etc. I politely told him I didn't know, that Global Shipping sent it to him based on information he provided at checkout, and that he should contact eBay for assistance.

Well today he opened a case for item not received.

I always have my guard up for a scam, but I'm not seeing one here. The package hasn't been delivered, so no one has it. I didn't physically ship it to Italy, so it's not like I could have screwed that part up. I'm just wondering my liability here. Anyone have experience with a similar case?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  13. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

There's something wrong there, eBay won't let me ship stuff until echeck has cleared, this shouldn't have happened.

GSP should totally be in eBay's hands, contact eBay customer support, they should take the hit, they're charging enough for it. Italy sucks for shipping, BTW.

14. DanM

DanM Senior member

^agreed, something isn't right there. Will contact ebay - but also planning on ramping up sales enough between now and August 1 to keep my top seller status.

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

Also, echecks suck. If you're gonna pay, it should be immediate. If you can't pay right then, let the seller know. Having echecks that hang around for 3-7 days before clearing is ridiculous, there needs to be consistency.