Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Irish

Irish Senior member

I'm blown away by the knowledge in this thread. Seems like an ideal group to ask about a case just opened:

I'm not a regular seller, but I list some nicer things that don't fit or I find marked down. On 3/28 I sold a nanamica cruiser ($750) to a guy in Italy. The buyer sent me a message that he would pay April 1. He paid and I shipped--eBay Global Shipping Program. I sent it to eBay, they sent it to the buyer.

Now, tracking shows that there were three delivery attempts -- 4/11, 4/14, and 4/15. In the midst of these, the buyer contacted me to say he had not received his item. He said he had a doorman at his address and that the package should have been delivered. He asked if I sent it to the wrong address, what courier I used, what post office, etc. I politely told him I didn't know, that Global Shipping sent it to him based on information he provided at checkout, and that he should contact eBay for assistance.

Well today he opened a case for item not received.

I always have my guard up for a scam, but I'm not seeing one here. The package hasn't been delivered, so no one has it. I didn't physically ship it to Italy, so it's not like I could have screwed that part up. I'm just wondering my liability here. Anyone have experience with a similar case?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

There's something wrong there, eBay won't let me ship stuff until echeck has cleared, this shouldn't have happened.

GSP should totally be in eBay's hands, contact eBay customer support, they should take the hit, they're charging enough for it. Italy sucks for shipping, BTW.

3. DanM

DanM Senior member

^agreed, something isn't right there. Will contact ebay - but also planning on ramping up sales enough between now and August 1 to keep my top seller status.

4. DanM

DanM Senior member

Also, echecks suck. If you're gonna pay, it should be immediate. If you can't pay right then, let the seller know. Having echecks that hang around for 3-7 days before clearing is ridiculous, there needs to be consistency.

5. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Did you try calling Brooks Brothers customer service? A lot of times company's may send you some for a nominal fee. Or they may tell you a suppliers name.

Brooks Brother's CUSTOMER SERVICE 800.274.1815

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

From the a general reading of the nature of the program, this is eBay's liability. Have they placed a hold on your funds in your paypal account? Personally, I think the buyer should call his local post office and figure it out with them.

7. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I've always been curious, why is Italy so bad to ship to? I have excluded it from my international shipping, but was never sure why.

On a side note, the irony of not shipping high quality Italian products back to italy always makes me laugh a bit.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

They used to have all sorts of customs issues, theft, missing packages etc.

I won't ship to them because their customs regulations prohibit leather goods, footwear and anything that is sewn. Basically eliminates my entire stock.

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm not sure that Ebay will be at fault here. Isn't that something that would be illegal to ship there?

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Wow, I just set up and printed three package labels with my new Laser printer (Brother HL-22700DW) and must say that I've been missing out. The print time is roughly 1/4 the time that it takes with my inkjet, and hopefully I'll save a ton of money on ink/toner! Even better is that I now have a printer in my office aside from my old Epson Stylus Photo R2880, which would be massively overkill to print labels on...

11. concealed

concealed Senior member

I'm pretty sure you are wrong

· You aren't responsible for item loss or damage that occurs after the item is forwarded by the US shipping center. Once an item has been forwarded by the US shipping center, you won't be responsible for refunding the buyer if aneBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection case is filed against you for one of the following reasons:
    · A buyer claims an item isn't received or
    · A package is damaged in transit

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Maybe, maybe not. But knowing how Ebay works on things I've dealt with, there's probably something buried in the TOS that says that Ebay will not cover lost packages that contained items that are in violation of international trade law. But hey, I'm not expert...

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

BUT...

the new TRS system will ding you if they OPEN a case for an item not received.

Hopefully there will be an appeals process in the making.

14. concealed

concealed Senior member

they do seem to have some protections in mind regarding these types of items: you could probably get that ding removed according to the spirit of these conditions

You qualify for automatic 5-star protection on shipping and handling charge detailed seller ratings when you provide free domestic shipping to the US shipping center. If you receive a rating below 5 stars for shipping and handling charges, it won't count against your seller performance standards.
    · You qualify for automatic 5-star protection on shipping time detailed seller rating when you ship with same day or 1-day handling, upload tracking information within 1 business day of receiving cleared payment, and the item is delivered to the US shipping center within 4 business days. If you receive a rating below 5 stars for shipping time, it won't count against your seller performance standards.
    · Any negative or neutral feedback that can be attributed to the Global Shipping Program from item handling during international transit will be removed. See details.

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Many people have italy on their "do not ship" list because they prohibit essentially all clothing imports.