Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

More or less what it does is provide you with some nice looking HTML templates, and a way to organize your listings using those templates. I know that @capnwes switched to Mac specifically to use Garage Sale, but this is his life and livelihood. If you are doing this as he is, it might be worth it to make the switch, as I think it's probably the best listing tool on the market right now (though not without it's flaws and idiosyncrasies), but if you are just doing this part time, I think you'd be better off learning a bit of HTML or copying some HTML templates that you like and using them yourself to build auctions. You can save templates in eBay as well (though I haven't done that so I don't know how easy it is). Unless you can thrift a mac for CHEAP, I don't think it's worth the purchase of a new computer, unless, again, this is your livelihood.

2. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Well shit!

This stellar report.....formerly
    [​IMG]

Now means I am one strike away from losing my discount. Something doesn't add up here...thanks eBay. There needs to be some way of fighting a buyer who returns an item as "not as described" when it doesn't fit.
    [​IMG]

5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

About that problem I had before about a buyer claiming a jacket that's 41R is too long to be a 41R, this was a message I just got:

Quote: I like that confidence he has that eBay will fuck over sellers for a buyers wish.

6. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Keep an eye out for a Mac Mini. It's not portable, but it's about 1/3 of the cost of a macbook pro and it's great. I have a Macbook Pro and a Mac Mini and the mini (with a cheap Dell monitor) is fantastic for the price.

7. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I just looked at your completed listings. If it's the one 41R coat you've sold in the last month, tell him to look at the 9th pic.

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

Just looked at top rated seller stuff, noticed my defect rate was 2 out of 167 for two cases opened by accident from buyers who had wrong address and didn't pick up from post office. Damn that is strict thankfully I'm not really using fvf discounts

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Could care less about the FVFs, it's the shipping discount that will hurt if it's gone.

10. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Your cancelled transactions really dinged it, being a third of the defect rate...I'm not sure how one gets those for "out of stock" or "sold to someone else"...never had that come up in any sales/returns/etc.

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah true forgot about that

Report was weird though since I have one neutral but that didn't show up on report. And I do have a few cancelled transactions thankfully reason was other so that didn't show up neither

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I had 2 items which I accidentally relisted and sold twice. Not sure about the other two though.

Out of the 6 item not described "defects" 5 of them were for fit.

The not received items, can't do much with those. The one came back because the label was torn off. I sent the buyer a message saying it was back and I had resent it. He opened a case anyway. lol. The other was a case where the item was marked as delivered, but the buyer still opened a case. That should not count.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

What's up with that neutral?

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Don't buy any mac that is still on core2duo or powerpc architecture. Preferably, don't buy a laptop from before the 1Q2011 processor updates. everymac.com is a good source.

Beyond that, doesn't matter mini, iMac, laptop or tower. max out the memory, replace the HDD with a SSD, and you'll have a fast machine that won't make you wait to process items.

GarageSale is the best solution I found when I was looking, mac or pc. Some stuff about it is incredibly un-user friendly, but others are not.

There isn't a recurring fee unless you plan to park lots of photos on your bids and run them on 30 day+ auctions.

Ebay gives you 12, GarageSale gives you 20 (but only 12 cycle in the gallery), but if you do more than 12 on a "good until cancelled" or 30 day with auto relisting, then you have to pay a fee for their photo hosting.

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

What do you mean?