Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

If considering something small like a tie, $23.50 for an international Priority Mail small flat rate box really does seem like a good deal. I think the USPS Express equivalent would be around $50 for a standard-discounted shipper? I actually never even considered first class, whether it was because I read some horror stories, or like the peace of mind of 6-10 business day estimate for priority, I'm not sure, but that would be even cheaper at $12ish I believe. I also transitioned from a flat international rate to a varied/calculated rate right within ebay. This seems to protect me as a seller from accidentally eating a shipping discrepancy that outweighs my profit. I also found an option when I did a mass international shipping revision to add an automatic handling charge. So, when William from England calculates the tie it displays as $26.50 instead of $23.50. I should probably decrease this to $2, rather than $3, but regardless, it is a nice feature.

A recent poster mentioned he stopped offering international shipping because he is a smaller time seller. To me, it has nothing to do with the frequency of sale, but rather, opening up a wealth of additional consumers. I recently bought 5 pairs of Breather ET Wrights from a thrift for around $4 each. A single Japanese customer bought 3 pairs for $25, $27, and $75. The other 2 pair continue to be re-listed. I may have missed out on a near instant $100 in profit if I did not have the international shipping option. Being a small timer myself, this was a huge success.

Last, but definitely not least, if you opt to identify a flat rate, be sure you are basing it on your actual costs, not what others tend to charge. When I first setup shop I checked out a bunch of well respected sellers, chose a common flat rate, and quickly realized I do not have anywhere near the shipping discounts that they have! On one hand, I'd like to offer all shipping options, and let the buyer choose, but on the other hand, I'd like to determine what I am comfortable with, and then the buyer can decide before bidding if they agree to pay the stated rate with the stated service. Maybe express only is comfortable for you (not directed at anyone in particular) and if so, those are your terms!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014

2. concealed

concealed Senior member

There should be no one who complains about you adding liquidity to eBay markets. Please bid on my items :)

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I was thinking about an item than I noticed the pictures

[​IMG]

Gratuitous extremities in photo alert!!!

4. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

sometimes. Last year I won an almost new Joseph Aboud suit the guy bought to be in a wedding. I won it for a dollar plus shipping. Guy was totally nice about it. I think I sent him $20 plus shipping.

Was worth it to me. Karma. Same reason I refund excess shipping.

But this is why I set my start price to something I will be happy with if I only get a single bid.

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Ditto that. I'm mostly done with throwing $9.99 auctions as I don't have the subscribers or audience to do that any longer, unless it's to have fun with an item that I know will have a ton of interest.

6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Have a Borrelli 16/41 beautiful shirt that I just noticed has two stains. One seems to be a ripped up tag or something but is near the front where it would be tucked. The second is on the pocket. If the treatment doesn't get that one out would it be better to strip the thick MOP buttons off?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Unless you have a specific use in mind for the buttons (i.e.: spares for other shirts you already own), I'd leave the buttons on and wear it as a beater shirt. MOP buttons can be had on the cheap and are not the commodity many think they are.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014

8. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I don't know. This is the best of the bunch on that first page, and they are a $1 per which is cheap for GOOD MOP buttons, i.e. at least 4mm thick, similar to the buttons likely to appear on a Borrelli shirt or any brand that could match it for quality (and quite a few that can't), and even a $1 per is sort of expensive for buttons. No doubt they are nice buttons, but that's $8-$10 per shirt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-T...899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3389a45723

9. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Something very strange happened last night with eBay. So I am finally getting around to listing a bunch of stuff (all non-clothing related so far). But last night I listed my wife's old smart phone, $19.99 or $50 BIN. I woke up this morning and someone had BIN. I then scrolled through the rest of my listings and it showed the phone as for sale, the exact same listing. I am checking everything and I didn't list multiple quantity so I am not sure what happened. Is there some setting on Garagesale that could cause this?

[​IMG]

It shows that I re-listed the item.

So what may have happened is the very first one I listed I didn't use Garagesale I clicked on sell one like this from someone else's auction. It gave me a checkbox to automatically re-list if the item didn't sell up to 3 times. I checked that option, Garagesale didn't seem to have a similar option though. So after I listed 20 things, I forgot to change one category and revised the item. The confirmation page of the revision gave me the option to automatically realist this again. So I started revising all of the listings and got bored after 10 or so and tried to find a way to do them all at once in Garagesale.

As I wrote this I found the issue and will post this anyway for future reference for others. Within Garagesale inspector, I highlighted all of the active auctions and clicked on inspector. Under the auction tab I checked the "Automatic Restart" set the drop down to "Relist without changes" and finally checked the ignore inventory key. If I would have read the blurb below this I would have seen "Garagesale will start a new auction automatically when the template's last auction finishes (with or without success)". This seems like a stupid feature unless you have 100 of something and only want to sell one at a time.

[​IMG]

10. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I see a lot of garage sale discussion, what are the pro/cons, is there a monthly fee associated, etc.? I'm a small time seller and think I do pretty well using the sell similar option when listing. However, I'm always open to being more efficient, problem is, I do not own a Mac nor do I have any experience with their OS.

11. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

No Mac = no GarageSale.

Them's the breaks.

12. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

Can someone let me know what type of box they use to send tall boots? Such as: cowboy, knee high womens boots, and etc please!

I need to send some out tomorrow.

Thank you!

13. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I understand that, but I'm guessing there's a number of sellers here who E-thrifted a beat up Mac book for garage sale. Curious if they thought it was worth it, and if so, or if not, why.

14. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

I wasn't trying to be snarky, and I don't mean for this to be snarky either - GarageSale is discussed pretty frequently on this thread. You should be able to get a lot of information with a simple search.

Here's a post from jebarne with a link to a GarageSale user forum:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...s-tricks-problems-questions/5565#post_6621345

Once you figure out the nuances of the app, it's a great resource for setting up templates and organizing your auctions.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Got my macbook pro about 6 months ago.

Refurbed from Apple Store for around $1700
    Garage Sale was another $40

Took me 1-2 weeks to get used to using a mac and listing with Garage sale, having never used either before.
    Loved it so much I bought a Refurbed Thunderbolt shortly thereafter - around $950

The above purchases were the best business decision I ever made. Would not go back to the "sell similar" method if someone paid me double what I spent. Listing time is cut in 1/4....at least.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014