Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Nice!

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Best flip yet!

[​IMG]

4. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Congrats, Fueco. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

5. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I'll eat the difference. It's $15, but as a beginning seller I can't afford to have a buyer ding me for shipping charges.

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Re: international shipping,

There are quite a few people in Europe and, presumably based on this thread's experiences, Asia that regularly buy from the US. While shipping prices sound extreme to you, we're often well aware of them. This is probably why the guy bought at the BIN price without contacting you first, he knew the approximate damage.

Keep in mind that not all people know this, nor do they understand why they're charged extra from their own customs officers. That's why it's important to be clear about these things.

On the flip side, I also know when someone's shipping is way off, either higher or lower. Having had quite a lot shipped from the US here, I can quickly see if someone has under or overpriced their shipping. I've even told people that their shipping costs will be higher than what they have listed. I don't want someone to feel like they got burned and then refuse international shipping afterwards. Using this same logic, it's also unacceptable to considerably overcharge someone because you don't think they will have any idea (not that this is happening here, obviously).

To those that may overcharge a bit (to thread regulars, lurkers and those that found this through google): The USPS website is available worldwide, we can all access it.

7. suited

suited Senior member

I stopped offering international shipping a long time ago. For a seller like me, it was a great decision. It wasn't worth the hassle, however minor it might be. For those of you that are big timers I understand that it generates a material amount of revenue for you.

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

on this very topic, last night I was shipping a pair of jeans to a guy in London. a Priority mail box has not tracking, but the padded flat rate envelope does. Whats up with that?

if it comes down to priority with no e-delcon or 1st class, the 1st class option looks better and better.

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I set it up now for every auction. For ties, I put in a small flat rate box and a 2nd option for 1st class at 6 oz. For jeans and slacks, its a padded envelope unless huge, for jackets, shoes and everything else that don't go small flat rate, I plug the weight into the template and have ebay calculate it.

Plus, on the label where I declare the item, ebay plugs in the auction name "Incotex Super 150 Pants" or whatever, I always genericize that to Pre-owned men's pants.

Last night I had a BIN on a pair of jeans to London, a good offer on a sports coat to Khazakastan which I couldn't even pick out on a map, and a tie to japan within about 20 minutes. just print and put it on the porch.....

but dropping e-delcon bothers me.

10. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

one other point.

I did a pair of shoes to Australia right after I made top seller and the discounts kicked in. my quoted shipping was $14 more expensive than actual. I sent the buyer a note asking if he preferred a refund or for me to ship express. He preferred the refund.

I'd like to pass on the discount on shipping, but since that varies based on the option chosen, How do you set it up so it automatically adjusts what the buyer sees?

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah, that one still gets me. I still can't believe he was able to fit that tux in that little ass box. It really was quite amazing.

12. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Don't know why ebay isn't matching this from the post office, but it says here that tracking is no longer available on SFRB or FR Envelopes. I don't think they're applying the $50 insurance either. First Class International Package Service is slower but does include tracking. So you either buy insurance or buy express for international.
    At this point, I'm going to change to 1st class for less expensive items.
    This has to be wrong.

Priority Mail International[​IMG]

Features:6-10 business day6 delivery from $29.25 at a Post Office[​IMG] location.
    • Free Package Pickup8 at your door
    • USPS Tracking[​IMG] at no additional cost10
    • Free Shipping Supplies
    • Save up to 13% online

Products:
    Priority Mail International ›
    Priority Mail International Flat Rate[​IMG]
    No weighing.11 All for one Flat Rate.

6 For many major markets. Average number of days based on origin and destination.
    8 For details on Free Package Pickup, go to usps.com/pickup.

10 Limitations may apply for certain destinations. Not available for Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes or Small Flat Rate Boxes.
    11 Up to 20 lbs in the Priority Mail International Medium and Large Flat Rate Boxes and up to 4 lbs in Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes.

First-Class Package International Service

First-Class Package International Service[​IMG] (FCPIS[​IMG]) is our most affordable international service for small packages. Send anything up to 4 lbs (cannot exceed $400 in value) to more than 180 countries. Delivery time varies by destination.​

Features

• Our most affordable international service
    • Delivery time varies by destination
    • Can be used for small packages
    • Tracking available when you ship online to select destinations

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Sooo do you guys feel bad if you win something dirt cheap from a seller on here? [​IMG]

14. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Did you win something of mine?

Nah, I don't feel bad. I know people from here have bought some of my stuff for dirt cheap and then flipped it, which I think is actually pretty cool. I made a profit and they made a profit. Win/win.

However, I have found listings by styleforum folks with misspellings. I could have bought the items for cheap and flipped them, but I messaged them to let them know. I'm all about sniping some poorly listed items, but I feel like if you recognize a seller as a member here and they have a misspelled title, it's just good form to let them know.

15. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Nah, I won a couple of shirts for personal use for min bid of 9.99 each. That was just really cheap for the two brands. The good thing for the seller is I bookmarked him and he will be on my weekly look through. I probably bid on 50-100 items a week between here and a couple of other local auction sites. Right now I have bids on Spoo, Brian, and Nataku items. I check these guys first for several reasons, they are not going to sell crap because they have worked hard building a reputation here. Second I like shopping local so to speak so I want to encourage our entrepreneurs on the site by buying from them when I can.