• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw an arthritic (swollen joints) hand with red patchy skin wearing a 7 karat diamond on a platinum band. Of course it is going to sell for huge money, doesn't mean the hand belongs there. I also don't think the sample you are showing does the money clip any justice. If I was selling that money clip, instead of having a dude holding it in his palm (could be Andre the Giant or Mini-Me) I would have put a Michigan Bankroll (hundred dollar bill surrounding a bunch of ones) inside the clip thus showing it's size against a known sample.

Again not saying it won't sell, but personal preference is not to have any body parts showing.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a question on an item last night after I went to bed. Didn't answer b/c I got up, went to work and didn't have time to look at the item. Just the same question and he/she puts in the message "SECOND REQUEST". Seriously!?! There's still nearly a week until the auction end, so I think they can sit tight for a while. Probably just better off to go ahead and block! Some people.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just want to make sure I'd win this case if a case comes out of this:

Buyer bought an suit jacket. Measurements provided, tagged 41R. Length measured 31 inches,

Contacted me saying it's actually a 41L cause it doesn't fit him and he wears a 41R.

I replied he's free to use return the item and directed him to the hassle free returns

He says he doesn't feel like he should pay the restocking fee or return shipping because I misled him into the purchase.

Told him while I typically waive restocking fees, I could not comp the shipping because the measurements and tag on the item itself backed the 41R listing.

Again I provided measurements and the tag itself says 41R, and he's claiming it's a 41L.

I feel like this should be a fairly easy case to win should it come to that, but I don't have much experience in cases. Should I be worried/did I handle this correctly?

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what eBay will say, but 31" for a 41 is absolutely not a long, so you're in the right on that.

Reminds me of the 44L coat I sold that was 34" long from bottom of collar to bottom of coat. He left positive feedback but in the feedback, claimed that it was nowhere near a long and that it may have in fact been a 44S...

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could link the ebay rep to multiple listings of 41R jackets to show that 31'' is absolutely correct for the jacket. Also, the buyer claims that the jacket doesn't fit him, which isn't the same as SNAD. So, I'd think you're on firm footing here.

I have no experience with selling internationally, but I do add 'contact me first if you're buying from outside the US' in my listings. Saturday evening, someone from japan buys a pair of shoes at the BIN price ($195) and then asks me for a shipping quote. Did some research here and the consensus was priority express international (~$60), because apparently that's the only usps service that provides tracking/DC outside the US (for non-delcon countries). Went with that.

I also asked capnwes to confirm, and he told me he ships priority international almost always and it does provide tracking in japan. It's significantly cheaper too, at around $40.

It's been 36+ hours and the buyer hasn't responded to my invoice or my followup message. I'm thinking he may have balked at the $60 shipping charge. Not sure it looks professional but should I contact him with a new invoice with priority international instead of priority express international?

Last edited:

cdgreg

Reaction score
I wonder if you could link the ebay rep to multiple listings of 41R jackets to show that 31'' is absolutely correct for the jacket. Also, the buyer claims that the jacket doesn't fit him, which isn't the same as SNAD. So, I'd think you're on firm footing here.

I have no experience with selling internationally, but I do add 'contact me first if you're buying from outside the US' in my listings. Saturday evening, someone from japan buys a pair of shoes at the BIN price ($195) and then asks me for a shipping quote. Did some research here and the consensus was priority express international (~$60), because apparently that's the only usps service that provides tracking/DC outside the US (for non-delcon countries). Went with that.

I also asked capnwes to confirm, and he told me he ships priority international almost always and it does provide tracking in japan. It's significantly cheaper too, at around $40.

It's been 36+ hours and the buyer hasn't responded to my invoice or my followup message. I'm thinking he may have balked at the $60 shipping charge. Not sure it looks professional but should I contact him with a new invoice with priority international instead of priority express international?

I sold my first pair of shoes to a gentleman in Japan about 2 weeks ago, I used Priority International, below is a cut and paste of the information provided through the tracking system. I'd contact him and let him know he has 2 choices for S&H, unless of course your auction already stated a flat price or a specific service.

Delivered
2014-04-09, 11:27:00
Addressee not available - Will attempt delivery on next working day
2014-04-08, 11:14:00
Arrival at Post Office
2014-04-08, 04:55:00
Customs clearance processing complete
2014-04-07, 09:43:00
Customs Clearance
2014-04-07, 09:15:00
Processed Through Sort Facility
2014-04-06, 20:52:00
2014-04-04, 10:41:00, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS
Arrived at Sort Facility
2014-04-04, 09:42:00, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Arrived at Sort Facility
2014-04-03, 14:35:00, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
2014-04-03, 14:35:00, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Dispatched to Sort Facility
2014-03-31, 17:01:00, LYONS, NY 14489
Acceptance
2014-03-31, 11:21:00, LYONS, NY 14489

Last edited:

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I went ahead and clicked on the print label link and it says specifically 'Delivery confirmation is not available for the service you have selected' when I select Priority international. This is so confusing.

Edit: The guy just paid, that's why I could click on the print label link and get options. Even then, I don't like to charge excessive shipping when the job can be done for less. But without DC, I feel like I have no protection.

Last edited:

Lirum

Reaction score
Edit: The guy just paid, that's why I could click on the print label link and get options. Even then, I don't like to charge excessive shipping when the job can be done for less. But without DC, I feel like I have no protection.

I understand this, but I would offer the less expensive alongside express. Who knows, he could have purchased expecting express and took time to pay for another reason.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but now that ebay tells me the less expensive option doesn't include DC, I'd rather not use that. Wouldn't you agree?

I would've refunded him excess shipping and shipped Priority international, if ebay didn't give me that warning.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check to the right side of that specific screen you are in.

Where they show you the shipping cost breakdown: See if there is a line that reads " Delcon Service" (or something similar to that)

If so, the tracking should be fine. I've shipped many times to Japan, and have had zero problems. In- fact, one guy told me it was the fastest shipping he has ever had from US (under 5 days from Cali)

Lirum

Reaction score
Yeah, but now that ebay tells me the less expensive option doesn't include DC, I'd rather not use that. Wouldn't you agree?

I would've refunded him excess shipping and shipped Priority international, if ebay didn't give me that warning.

Sure, I'd want DC too. But it's bothering me because the auction was advertised differently.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it was advertised as no international shipping but 'contact me first if you're buying from outside the US'. Guy buys first and then asks for a shipping quote. I give him $60 for priority express international. This isn't some sort of bait and switch. I just want to choose a service that saves him money and covers ******.

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear, I don't want to choose a cheaper service to make myself extra profit. My plan was to refund him excess shipping if, indeed, priority international gave me DC.

Quote:
Nope. Nothing there.

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm not sure.

Heres the thing it comes down to, at this point, you seem to only be worry-free if you ship it via express.

So either you have to eat the difference in price, or ship priority, insure it, and take your chance.

Not sure its worth putting your buyer through anything else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads