Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I saw an arthritic (swollen joints) hand with red patchy skin wearing a 7 karat diamond on a platinum band. Of course it is going to sell for huge money, doesn't mean the hand belongs there. I also don't think the sample you are showing does the money clip any justice. If I was selling that money clip, instead of having a dude holding it in his palm (could be Andre the Giant or Mini-Me) I would have put a Michigan Bankroll (hundred dollar bill surrounding a bunch of ones) inside the clip thus showing it's size against a known sample.

Again not saying it won't sell, but personal preference is not to have any body parts showing.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

3. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

My fave is the guy who holds a paper plate to display ties.

4. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Got a question on an item last night after I went to bed. Didn't answer b/c I got up, went to work and didn't have time to look at the item. Just the same question and he/she puts in the message "SECOND REQUEST". Seriously!?! There's still nearly a week until the auction end, so I think they can sit tight for a while. Probably just better off to go ahead and block! Some people.

5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Just want to make sure I'd win this case if a case comes out of this:

Buyer bought an suit jacket. Measurements provided, tagged 41R. Length measured 31 inches,

Contacted me saying it's actually a 41L cause it doesn't fit him and he wears a 41R.

I replied he's free to use return the item and directed him to the hassle free returns

He says he doesn't feel like he should pay the restocking fee or return shipping because I misled him into the purchase.

Told him while I typically waive restocking fees, I could not comp the shipping because the measurements and tag on the item itself backed the 41R listing.

Again I provided measurements and the tag itself says 41R, and he's claiming it's a 41L.

I feel like this should be a fairly easy case to win should it come to that, but I don't have much experience in cases. Should I be worried/did I handle this correctly?

6. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Not sure what eBay will say, but 31" for a 41 is absolutely not a long, so you're in the right on that.

Reminds me of the 44L coat I sold that was 34" long from bottom of collar to bottom of coat. He left positive feedback but in the feedback, claimed that it was nowhere near a long and that it may have in fact been a 44S...

7. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I wonder if you could link the ebay rep to multiple listings of 41R jackets to show that 31'' is absolutely correct for the jacket. Also, the buyer claims that the jacket doesn't fit him, which isn't the same as SNAD. So, I'd think you're on firm footing here.

I have no experience with selling internationally, but I do add 'contact me first if you're buying from outside the US' in my listings. Saturday evening, someone from japan buys a pair of shoes at the BIN price ($195) and then asks me for a shipping quote. Did some research here and the consensus was priority express international (~$60), because apparently that's the only usps service that provides tracking/DC outside the US (for non-delcon countries). Went with that.

I also asked capnwes to confirm, and he told me he ships priority international almost always and it does provide tracking in japan. It's significantly cheaper too, at around $40.

It's been 36+ hours and the buyer hasn't responded to my invoice or my followup message. I'm thinking he may have balked at the $60 shipping charge. Not sure it looks professional but should I contact him with a new invoice with priority international instead of priority express international?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

8. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I sold my first pair of shoes to a gentleman in Japan about 2 weeks ago, I used Priority International, below is a cut and paste of the information provided through the tracking system. I'd contact him and let him know he has 2 choices for S&H, unless of course your auction already stated a flat price or a specific service.

Delivered
    2014-04-09, 11:27:00
    Addressee not available - Will attempt delivery on next working day
    2014-04-08, 11:14:00
    Arrival at Post Office
    2014-04-08, 04:55:00
    Customs clearance processing complete
    2014-04-07, 09:43:00
    Customs Clearance
    2014-04-07, 09:15:00
    Processed Through Sort Facility
    2014-04-06, 20:52:00
    2014-04-04, 10:41:00, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS
    Arrived at Sort Facility
    2014-04-04, 09:42:00, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
    Arrived at Sort Facility
    2014-04-03, 14:35:00, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
    2014-04-03, 14:35:00, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
    Dispatched to Sort Facility
    2014-03-31, 17:01:00, LYONS, NY 14489
    Acceptance
    2014-03-31, 11:21:00, LYONS, NY 14489

9. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and clicked on the print label link and it says specifically 'Delivery confirmation is not available for the service you have selected' when I select Priority international. This is so confusing.

Edit: The guy just paid, that's why I could click on the print label link and get options. Even then, I don't like to charge excessive shipping when the job can be done for less. But without DC, I feel like I have no protection.

[​IMG]

10. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

I understand this, but I would offer the less expensive alongside express. Who knows, he could have purchased expecting express and took time to pay for another reason.

11. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Yeah, but now that ebay tells me the less expensive option doesn't include DC, I'd rather not use that. Wouldn't you agree?

I would've refunded him excess shipping and shipped Priority international, if ebay didn't give me that warning.

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Check to the right side of that specific screen you are in.

Where they show you the shipping cost breakdown: See if there is a line that reads " Delcon Service" (or something similar to that)

If so, the tracking should be fine. I've shipped many times to Japan, and have had zero problems. In- fact, one guy told me it was the fastest shipping he has ever had from US (under 5 days from Cali)

13. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Sure, I'd want DC too. But it's bothering me because the auction was advertised differently.

14. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

No, it was advertised as no international shipping but 'contact me first if you're buying from outside the US'. Guy buys first and then asks for a shipping quote. I give him $60 for priority express international. This isn't some sort of bait and switch. I just want to choose a service that saves him money and covers my ass.

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear, I don't want to choose a cheaper service to make myself extra profit. My plan was to refund him excess shipping if, indeed, priority international gave me DC.

Quote: Nope. Nothing there.

[​IMG]

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Hmm not sure.

Heres the thing it comes down to, at this point, you seem to only be worry-free if you ship it via express.

So either you have to eat the difference in price, or ship priority, insure it, and take your chance.

Not sure its worth putting your buyer through anything else.