Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I might be too late to this party, but all my SC get folded into a tyvek (15.5x12?? I think) USPS envelope then slid into a Regional Rate Box A. Only way to ship sport coats IMO. Large overcoats/duffles go into Regional Rate B or Medium Flat Rate

2. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Those are incandescent so won't have the gaps in the spectrum the way florescent does, but they are always on so can generate a fair bit of heat. It can get uncomfortable if you are working close to the lights.

Light sets seem to break down like this:

Florescent: Cool and cheap, but poor color representation.
    Incandescent: Cheap and good color, but hot.
    Strobes: Cool and good color, but expensive.

An external flash can give you all three, but you need the right camera to make use of it. You also have to put more effort into getting similar coverage.

3. eestend

eestend New Member

Fedex in Russia and China are not widely used like in North America and Europe, and thus their overall service is very poor in those countries. By service I mean the time to deliver the package, tracking ability, etc. Also one of the major problem was that Fedex were not able to "find" the proper location for the addressed I provided to them. I'm in contract with Fedex and my account manager "advised" not to use Fedex to Russia and China :(

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Dang...it seems like the only option is to inform my Russian clients that their purchases will be available by PICK UP ONLY

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

5. suited

suited Senior member

Sold a pre-owned Burberry polo, buyer waits 3 weeks after delivery to tell me that they think the shirt is faded. They haven't asked for a refund, yet, so I politely told them I was sorry they were not satisfied, and that I try to take the best photos so they accurately represent the color and condition of each item. Then I said "may I ask why you waited so long to let me know you were unhappy with the shirt?"

I'd say there's about a 99% chance the person has washed/dried it multiple times by now. Hopefully they go away and I can just block them.

edit: they said they don't plan on leaving negative feedback because they do not feel I misrepresented the shirt. He or she said that they were on vacation and that's why they waited 3 weeks. Hmm, I'm feeling generous today and the person seems to be pretty reasonable, so I might hook them up with something for free. Could get a return customer...do you guys ever do stuff like that?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yep, a couple of my best buyers were mildly dissatisfied the first time around and got the hookup. For most folks a little kindness and generosity goes a long way.

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I am batting roughly a thousand on items where I included a freebie BEING RETURNED.

As such, the practice has been suspended until further notice.

:cloud:

8. suited

suited Senior member

let's hope.

I cut up a flat rate envelope (legal size, diagonal) and made a collar insert out of the flexible cardboard so my shirts are looking right when they're folded up for photos. Just a tip, as it's the one easily bendable cardboard we all have lying around...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Good idea.

10. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Hey guys, thanks for the help with the Robert Graham auction I asked about a few days ago. After the changes, it's up to 6 watchers and going for $23, which for an RG shirt as tame as that one is as good as I could hope for.

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

This is :uhoh: for multiple reasons, but primarily worried about the fact that he says it hasn't shown up. Item was paid evening of Oct. 31, label printed through ebay that night and shipped Nov. 1, tracking shows delivered on Nov.5. Hopefully this turns out well, but it sounds like paypal will side with him over USPS if it comes to it.

He sounds like a reasonable person at least. Assuming he doesn't find it, what's the best course of action?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

12. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I've also got a USPS issue - I shipped a package on the 29th of October, and it showed up as a return to me yesterday. There was no reason marked for the return (no stamp, nothing) except on the box someone had written in pen the zip code I was shipping to with a question mark and then the words "Route Check!" - the buyer's address was crossed out and my address was circled. I spoke to the manager at my post office when I picked it up and he saw no issues with my packaging job, or with the address.

I double checked the address on the Paypal email, as well as making sure the zip matched the street address given me using the USPS zip code lookup tool and there are no issues anywhere.

The buyer seems very relaxed about it - I sent a few detailed messages with photos and they've just requested I try and send it again, which I did this morning. What is frustrating is that USPS did not refund me the postage for the initial package even though there was no issue with it, so I'm out double the postage, plus I offered the buyer a partial refund, all of which my margin covered, but I am just wondering what I can do to avoid this in future?

13. suited

suited Senior member

I have a BB SC listed as BIN with 15 watchers (up for a week or so). I'm thinking if I send it to auction I could probably get more than the current price. If they are watching an item that's BIN, will ebay send a notification that it has turned into an auction?

14. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Anyone know if there is still a save email template feature like there was a few years back. I have a few messages I send regularly and there used to be a selection list that made it easy. For now I just have them all saved as word documents and copy paste them in.