• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. The conversation always seems to devolve. I had a guy turn to me and, "This looks like it would fit you, do you want it?" I tried to hide the disdain for the style of hoodie (it was Merona or similar), but he caught it..
I then told him that half the stuff in menswear is my size and I'm really picky. He liked that answer better.

This, and...:

I hate when people try to give you stuff they think you'll want. Happened just the other day when a thrift store worker tried to hand me a "very nice Nautica shirt" she was putting out. Also witnessed a guy asking about 5 different guys what their size was because he had found an awesome Geoffrey Beene shirt. I assume he knew Mr. Beene personally because he kept calling it a Geoff Beene.

Was looking at scarves a few weeks ago and sidled over to the wimmin's area. One gal asked me if I was looking for men's scarves - I said yes, expecting to next tell her that yep I was aware I was in the wimmin's section, but instead she handed me one and said "this is sort of a guy's scarf." It was a NWT Arc'teryx wool scarf, for which I kindly thanked her.

That's fucked up. Funny but fucked up.

I was shopping at a GW last Sunday and they had just put out about 10 new jackets. I was flipping open the first when this tall thin guy sidled up next to me, placed his hands within an inch of mine on the rack and smiled seductively at me... I left and went to look at ties. I realized at that point I was not a true thrifter, I am trying to imagine what someone hardcore would have done in this case...

...I'd have told him I'd give him a reach-around if he found me some Tom Ford.

cdgreg

Reaction score
Well, hot damn, not only did I have my first international sale today, but had my first 3 international sales...all to the same buyer in Japan. Apparently there is a man in Japan who has an inkling for Breather Wright split toe oxfords in 8.5 C. I almost didn't buy them since they seemed meh, but 50% off day on shoes so I pulled the trigger. I paid $4+$4+6$ (NWOT on the last one). He paid $27, $25, $75 (NWOT). So, assuming USPS Priority doesn't drop the ball while flying over the pond, I'll make a quick $90 after fees. Crossing my fingers...

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that.
plain.gif
I was waiting for some kind of response.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on sizing of shoes

I've a pair of Bally's ankle zips thats tagged 13 D. Made in Italy

When I measured the INNER sole it came to 12.25"
The OUTER sole came to 12.75"

Does this sound weird? What should I tell my buyers what the size is?
I use this chart:

And if you want to back into the brannock device size and all you know is the inside length (assuming a normal toe shape), use can you this spreadsheet.

Edit: using this calc, your shoe comes out to a size 12.7, which = 13. Some other systems use 3/8 or 1/2" for the toe space. if you use half inch, you're dead on size 13.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold a tie to someone and I shipped it in a small flat rate box. The buyer lives less than 90 minutes from me, so it arrived promptly. The tracking info shows that it was delivered on the 19th. The buyer messages me on the 29th claiming they never got the tie. I ask them if they called the post office, because the tracking info shows that it was delivered. They are basically belligerent, claiming that I committed fraud, etc. They leave negative feedback. I call eBay and get a bunch of bullshit about how they can't remove the feedback unless the buyer opens a case and it's escalated to eBay (and even then, the feedback might be removed). For ***** and giggles I ask them if I issue the buyer a full refund right now, will they remove it. Nope. I guess eBay doesn't find it a bit odd that the buyer didn't open a case (obviously because they got the tie). According to the eBay rep, eBay is responsible for issuing the refund in a case like this (item was shipped to the address in the system, but was "lost").

I guess the new eBay policy is that a buyer can leave you negative feedback for absolutely no reason and eBay is perfectly fine with it.

Last edited:

namdaemun

Reaction score
I use this chart:

And if you want to back into the brannock device size and all you know is the inside length (assuming a normal toe shape), use can you this spreadsheet.

Edit: using this calc, your shoe comes out to a size 12.7, which = 13. Some other systems use 3/8 or 1/2" for the toe space. if you use half inch, you're dead on size 13.
Thank you so much, Jebarne! That is a very interesting spreadsheet. How did you come about this?

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Jebarne! That is a very interesting spreadsheet. How did you come about this?
I read the description of how it was calculated on wikipedia. I knew it would come up again so rather than go to wikipedia every time I put the calc in a spreadsheet.

Also, there are a bunch of shoe sellers who have downloadable measurement guides, so the first few times I used it, I checked it by overlaying it on the paper copies. Allen Edmunds has their own. Print them out (making sure 1" is 1") and measure off your inside dimension. Take off a half inch and that's your size. zero calc required

http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf

a more general one here at STP:

http://s.stpost.com/m/img/guides/shoesizingguides/mens-brannock.pdf

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overcast and rainy sunday means that I can't take pictures since there's pretty much no light coming into my room :/
Side note, I know you all start auctions to end on Sunday evenings. Do you think it matters for binobos?

Last edited:

SCoNE

Reaction score
Overcast and rainy sunday means that I can't take pictures since there's pretty much no light coming into my room :/

Just pony up the $50 and get some damned lights. How many times now have you written about how using natural light inhibits your abilities??

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sold a tie to someone and I shipped it in a small flat rate box. The buyer lives less than 90 minutes from me, so it arrived promptly. The tracking info shows that it was delivered on the 19th. The buyer messages me on the 29th claiming they never got the tie. I ask them if they called the post office, because the tracking info shows that it was delivered. They are basically belligerent, claiming that I committed fraud, etc. They leave negative feedback. I call eBay and get a bunch of bullshit about how they can't remove the feedback unless the buyer opens a case and it's escalated to eBay (and even then, the feedback might be removed). For ***** and giggles I ask them if I issue the buyer a full refund right now, will they remove it. Nope. I guess eBay doesn't find it a bit odd that the buyer didn't open a case (obviously because they got the tie). According to the eBay rep, eBay is responsible for issuing the refund in a case like this (item was shipped to the address in the system, but was "lost").

I guess the new eBay policy is that a buyer can leave you negative feedback for absolutely no reason and eBay is perfectly fine with it.

What did the feedback say?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads