1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Not a problem, I was just pointing you to the right thread. But that is a new one on me as well, I like it. Keeping it in the SF family!

2. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I've gotten a couple of those as well. I chalk it down to my shit photography skills. There are so many cool colors and textures that my 'setup' (white office table with no external light) can't handle.

3. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Hey guys, something really weird just happened and I have to say I don't know if the guy is joking or whatnot :

here's my listing for an Eton shirt :

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281414351872&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:CA:1123

guys asks me :

Dear florian-lafage,

I am interested in your shirt but it doesn't appear to be a real Eton shirt. Can you tell me where you purchased it?

xxxx

WTF?

I saw that @Nataku was 'accused' of selling a fake Eton shirt and he got negged for that. I just assumed the buyer was a moron with maybe buyer's remorse but...

Are people really faking Eton shirts?! This doesn't make any sense to me o_O the tags are relevant with all the Eton shirts I found, and quality is really on par too...

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Shirt looks fine, block and move on...thats my advice at least o_O

3 people like this.
  5. DanM

DanM Senior member

k, now that the new defect rate has taken effect, has ebay rolled out any sort of tool to challenge them through the web site, or am I going to have to call in about some of these ridiculous strikes against my account (for example, I cancelled a couple of auctions at the buyer's request before the new standards came out, and apparently I chose the wrong reason - have messages from buyers to prove my case).

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I think you have to call in for them. And I'm sure ebay is banking on people not even putting forth the effort, as it would be to eBay's benefit.

Why would they make it easy...

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

aaaasssssssshhhhhhaaaaaaaattttttttsssssss

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think I read somewhere that they review them every Wednesday and take off any that are valid - like won cases that were opened, removed feedback, etc.

edit - found it.

We remove defects that qualify for automatic removal every Wednesday. Defect removal may be delayed to the following week if tracking shows the item is still in transit, if there is an open eBay Money Back Guarantee case or a refund hasn't been issued for a returned item.
    Sellers may request the removal of defects that we haven't automatically removed when they followed selling best practices and they believe the buyer experience did not have a defect. Sellers may also qualify for automatic five stars for detailed seller ratings and other protections outlined in the Seller Protection Policy.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/defect-removal.html

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    3 people like this.
  9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Heres a new one to me...some sellers huh?

This how to lose TRS status...

Quote:
    His response...

Quote: He fails to realize how terrible of a seller he is, and how terrible his listings are. Listed as "used" then described as new...I have every right to ask a question, when your listings are so terrible.

My response...
    Quote:
    Here is the listing link

And his oh so great NEGATIVE feedback

Neutral feedback

He's on the right track as a seller, and won't last long...THIS folks, is how you lose top rated seller status.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  10. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Shipping 3 ties to germany. They can fit properly in a small flat rate box OR inside a flat rate padded envelope. Earlier, I could click 'print shipping label' even if the buyer hadn't paid to see how much shipping would cost, and to check whether that service allowed tracking all the way (and then invoice them accordingly). Ebay's changed that now and I can't see anything. Germany's an e-delcon country, but I remember people here saying that flat rate boxes/envelopes don't usually provide tracking for some reason. Can anyone confirm? Want to send an invoice to him but not sure what to quote. If flat rate boxes/envelopes don't offer tracking I would have to do express or something. Ties aren't very expensive, though. Less than $60 combined.

Thanks.

11. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

I had two auctions going and the items were listed as shipping to CONUS only.

The buyer of both was someone in South Korea.

Can I ship internationally via FedEx? About how much for two heavy (one cashmere, one down) outerwear jackets? Is it possible to ask for more then what I had listed as shipping ($20/ea)? What are my risks as far as me shipping the items and then the seller saying they weren't delivered and he will get his money back? Can I cancel the auction?

12. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

You can ship via fedex but it's much more expensive than USPS. To ensure tracking all the way select USPS Express mail international. How much it'll cost will depend on the weight of the package, of course. Get a box big enough to comfortably fit both.

And yes, you can and should ask for more than what you charge for CONUS shipping. Send him a combined invoice with the updated shipping charges after you've weighed the box.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

First if he paid and the address is in Korea and you had no international shipping than yes you can cancel it. But be aware that many people who live overseas have you ship it to a place that will rebox and mail it to their Foreign address. So check if they have a US address first after they pay.

1 person likes this.
  14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I just want to thank Ebay for yet again allowing a Buyer to walk all over me...

Asshat buys a sport coat that is tagged as a Euro 54R (I listed as US 44R with all measurements listed and a PHOTO OF THE EFFING TAG!!! showing it as a 54R).

Asshat claims that the jacket measures as a 44L "according to his tailor". I fight the case and OF COURSE EBAY SIDES WITH THE BUYER.

How the hell as we supposed to fight buyers' remorse if EBAY ALWAYS SIDES WITH THE ASSHAT?

15. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Did you call them? I feel like eBay automatically closes cases in buyers favor unless they manually do it themselves.

1 person likes this.
  16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I fully intend to do so as soon as I get back into the US. I'm not paying international roaming rates to fight this... ;)

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I have an even better one... Why do these thing pop up when I'm on vacation? This is on a bike that I sold for $2500.

Quote (from 8/25/14 at 4:57 PST): Keep in mind that I'm out of the country, with my vacation settings turned on and an automatic response that states I am out of town until September 24th. I can pretty much guarantee that the barrel adjuster was broken in shipping, as that's the most common part of a bike to break when they are boxed and shipped.

Without waiting for a response (at 2::13 PM the same day!!), dude sends me a UPS tracking number stating that he shipped it to my home address. I can only hope that he put signature required so that it bounces back rather than sit on my porch for who knows how long (at least my wife will be home during the week, but if it arrives later than Friday, it will either sit there until our catsitter finds it, or get returned to send.

People are so damned brilliant...

18. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Can't believe you tie raped the rear derailer...

Do you get to keep the virgin replacement?

3 people like this.
  19. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

20. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Or you can call UPS and have it held for pickup or delivery after you're back, instead of delivering to your house when it arrives.
    But why this maroon would buy a bike that's too tall is beyond me.