• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Towers

Reaction score

Hi guy, I've been a long time lurker on SF but decided to join because I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on here!

I'm new to the whole eBay thing, and I recently put up a couple of thrift finds I'd like to flip for a couple of bucks. I've read quite a bit on the subject beforehand, and to my knowledge, I'm doing everything right to get maximum of views and bids (ending auctions on the weekends, low starting price, 14 days money back guarantee, clear and representative pictures, catchy titles, etc.) but no matter what, I don't get a lot of views and no bids at all.

Now, I don't want to look like the overly concerned newb, but I thought I'd ask: do you guys usually have to re-list your items a couple of times before you finally find your bidder/buyer?

I'm guessing it's just because I'm new to selling on eBay, I don't have a lot of feedback to back me up and it might make buyers weary. 

Anyway, if you have any other tips to help me maximize my items exposure, I'd be grateful! 

Thanks guys!

Does BC stand for British Columbia? Charging for shipping to the US will kill traffic to your listing as a lot of american ebayers are spoiled babies who expect everything to be shipped to them for free.

cdgreg

Reaction score
Huh.

Is there a rule of thumb chart for shoulder size to chest size?

I roughly use the top chart here, but I don't know how accurate it is. http://www.suitupp.com/pages/suit_sizing . I would love a better chart, frustrating that half of the jackets don't have tagged sizes.

Also had some discussion here if you control+F and search for cdgreg. Discussion around sizing based on chest.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread/98700_100 . I like the rough rule of multiply chest measurement x2, then subtract two for sizing.

Last edited:

cdgreg

Reaction score
On the sizing note, actually came here to ask a Q myself:

Shoulder: 18.5"
Chest: 20"
Waist (of jacket): 19.75"
Length: 31.5"
Sleeves: 25.5"

Does a 38L exist? Length and sleeves seem long for a 38R.

What would you list size as?

Thanks!

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an oxxford sport coat up for sale measuring a 38L. Also listed as such sizing, and have activity and bids on it. So I would assume the size is sought after by some.

I'm trying to upgrade to the full version of GoDaddy Bookeeping on the eBay app (formerly Outright) and every time I click the "Upgrade" button nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem?*

*It's been that way for two or three days.

Hmm, I was told to use the web page version, instead of originally signing up via eBay applications. So glad I did, because it has much less quirks and problems.

FYI, when u figure it out, google search for a coupon code for the upgrade. I remember after I applied a code, my cost was only like 60$. But this was almost a year ago now.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does BC stand for British Columbia? Charging for shipping to the US will kill traffic to your listing as a lot of american ebayers are spoiled babies who expect everything to be shipped to them for free.

No, BC are the two initials of my family name. Thought, you are right and I do live in Canada. Figured that a lot of the menswear scene comes from the US and that might drive my views down. The menswear crowd up here in Canada, except for Toronto I think, is pretty much in the early stages..

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photo experts... How do you best like to photograph cuff buttons? I'm thinking of laying them flat against a white BG rather than shooting them against the length of the suit

COtoKS

Reaction score
Photo experts... How do you best like to photograph cuff buttons? I'm thinking of laying them flat against a white BG rather than shooting them against the length of the suit

I'm no expert, but I've tried to mimic what capnwes and snoogz do.

Banana Republic Tweed

Sleeve cuff shots

You can kill two birds with one stone with the second composition.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good bro! ^

Just tried similar. I don't hate it.

cybbah6t.jpg

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good bro! ^

Just tried similar. I don't hate it.

cybbah6t.jpg
Just make sure you show each button. you don't want them coming back to you and saying that last button was missing. This is my standard photo for "all buttons present and accounted for"

If its working button holes, I either pin the sleeve open as in the tan example or I close up with the buttons thru the button holes as in the gray one.

borbor

Reaction score
Just trying to get a gauge of what people's "acceptable" profit margin is when it comes to smaller items like shirts and ties and the like. Do you aim for say 400-500% or is there a monetary target (say $25-30 bucks per item) before the point where you just don't bother.

What I've noticed in VV lately is the shirts are priced so high (it's not unheard of for a thomas pink shirt to routinely cost more than a blazer) that I usually just say screw it and leave those. I haven't been able to move shirts & ties as well as I do on suits and blazers, so that doesn't help my reluctance either.

The more experienced guys on here when you first started, did you start out super picky and then as business picked up just started expanding the brands that you would buy even at a lesser profit? Or are you not as discriminatory and just grab whatever is on the rack and then deal with it later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads